Lassitude

on March 18, 2012

Today, Son and I had an argument interesting conversation:

Son: What is wrong with me? I don’t have energy – I HATE this! I’m sick of sleeping and wasting all this time!

Me: You had major surgery four weeks ago – it’s all normal. Every day you are getting better and your spine is healing. If you want to sleep, sleep and stop worrying about it.

Son: But I can’t stand it, Mum, and what about you – what’s wrong with you? Why are you so lazy and blah?

Me: It’s called lassitude.

Son: What the hell is that?

Me: It’s what we both have – this inability to get off our bums and move on; it’s my broken heart about Dad and….

Son: I’m sick of your broken heart.

Me: I’m sick of it too.

Son: And my spine isn’t straight anyway – it’s still crooked and I wanted to be perfect.

Me: Nobody’s spine is perfect and it’s a miracle of medical science that you have been straightened this much. Please stop this miserable whining.

Son: Then you stop crying!

Me: I’m just tired.

Son: So do we both have this lassitude thing?

Me: Yes, but it’ll pass.

Son: Mum, I love Dad too but I just can’t….

Me: I know.

Son: That’s a good word – lassitude – I’m going to remember that one.

Me: Yeah, and I’m going to lassoo it and take it to the dump.

Son: When?

Me: After I have a little nap….

Son: Okay, call me when you need a hand.

How come Woodroffe gets to do lassitude in peace?

This evening, Husband and I had an interesting conversation on the phone:

Me: He’s got lassitude-with-an-attitude now – argh!

Husband: Tell him to go easy on himself.

Me: What about going easy on me?

Husband: That too … are you okay?

Me: No, I miss you and I miss the way it was when….

Husband: Bring the brat in here tomorrow and I’ll straighten him out.

Me: Okay – good idea – brilliant idea!

Husband: ‘Night then – I’m watching a show on the ABC.

Me: Oh, okay – love you….

The lassitude is gone!

52 responses to “Lassitude

1. I too like your word, lassitude :) I am sending prayers your way for all of you…. It makes me sad for what you are all having to go through but I really admire your overall strength Julie… I hope that tomorrow is a better day for all of you…
    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

Woodruffe’s lassitude is very restful to behold. I’ve been practising myself and I’ve nearly got lassitude perfected. I’m with your son though, it’s boring.

3. shoreacres says:

But you weren’t so “lassitudinous” that you couldn’t have that “interesting conversation, and begin to move beyond it. Pity the poor people who aren’t willing to acknowledge life’s realities and just get stuck in it!

And what a darned gorgeous duck! I could just sit and look at him for a good long time.

Thanks so much for your lovely, encouraging comment. Woodroffe is a Sebastopol goose – they look like something out of science fiction don’t they. We have two of them – absolutely beautiful.

4. I can’t believe it has been 4 weeks since the surgery!

5. dou dou says:

He should be happy he is tired!!! His body is using all his energy to heal, that is a good thing :)

And that is a fancy duck :)

6. avian101 says:

Dear Julie,
    You are in that mood because is the normal reaction when someone is overwhelmed with problems and frustration. Eventually you will come ahead because you are a strong woman keeping your family together and still have good humor and patience to care for your farm animals. Don’t get depressed and keep going, things will get better. G-d willing.
    Your Sebastopol Goose is gorgeous! :)

Sorry – I didn’t mean to seem so needy – your comment means a lot to me because I guess I have to admit I am struggling a bit with the stuff of life – thanks Avian101 – you are great!

“I just love happy endings!” (Merriweather, in Sleeping Beauty)

xo, ~ Lynda

PS: Woodroffe is so lovely. A very nice portrait. :)

8. Ingrid Rickersey says:

Your conversation with son is very normal … and as lassitudinous as Woodrooffe, the goose looks, I am sure he has his worries too, unbeknown to us … and yes he is a fancy looking bird ;)

I think most of Woody’s worries are now to do with his/her gender. After what I witnessed this afternoon it would seem that Woody needs to be re-named Wanda?

9. Tilly Bud says:

You and your son need to do something fun together, something you haven’t done before. It doesn’t need to cost money, just time and imagination. Perhaps set yourselves the task of coming up with five things each, then have fun choosing.

10. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    Woodroffe does look very relax and content. :)

11. Great new vocab word and love the picture! I hope things start to turn around for you soon.

12. Helen says:

Great word ‘lassitude’, and your right, it will eventually pass even thought at times you may wonder!!! I think you are all much stronger than you realise and your lovely Husband seems to have such a positive attitude. It makes all the difference.
    A couple of years ago a priest said to me,
    ‘Helen all these things that are going on in your life, they are making you grow as a person.’
    I said to him ‘ I dont want to grow, I just want things to go back to the way they were.’
    He just looked at me patiantly and said ‘This is life and your are growing.’
    I really didnt appriciate those words at the time.

Your goose is beautiful.

13. Thanks for your encouragement re: my first attempt at blogging, quite a journey isn’t it?

My brother-in-law had Parkinson’s disease so my thoughts and understanding are with your family.

I look forward to meeting your menagerie (and your human family) on these pages :-)

14. I love that phrase – “lassitude with an attitude”! Clever!

15. You have big strong shoulders Julie, and a gorgeous duck! Please take care of YOU as you are clearly needed to keep the troops marching along. xx, Margie

16. bluebee says:

How do you know Woodroffe’s doing it in peace? You, Son and Husband have the outlet of these cathartic honest conversations while Woodroffe’s without the benefit of words to howl and heal – watch out for mad midnight quacking! :)

17. norinep says:

When I am besieged by too many need-to-do’s, I just stop, without the will to go forward. My mind and spirit is in overload. I have to find a center before I can go forward. Your conversation with Son seems to have helped him find a center and your conversation with Husband seemed to help you. Sometimes, all it takes is a few words, a friendly smile and ‘good day’ from a stranger and the world shifts a little and everything is clear again. I hope the situations you are dealing with now will ease up, and you life put on an even keel. Meanwhile, your fellow bloggers will help you cope. :)

18. hugr5 says:

I really like the dialogue. It is hard to write a “script” and make it sound natural. Good on you! (Of course, I LOVE the picture… :) )