Another mother hen!

on April 10, 2012

Okay, I knew the eggs were there but I thought they’d been abandoned. I didn’t know whose eggs they were until today! Guinneafowl eggs – I so hope it works and chicks are going to be a result of all this mother’s hard work….

This is exciting because, as you know, Tapper the duck, is also doing the nesting thing.

I watch and wait!

35 responses to “Another mother hen!

1. Wow! That’s a lot of eggs. I hope for the best! Chicks are just the cutest little bundles of cuddliness.

2. Sonel says:

Oh wow! You are so lucky to see this! I would love to see the little babies when it’s time. :)
    Great shots and thanks for sharing. :)

3. Oooh, more babies to come we hope ;-)

4. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    Wow, eggs in every direction, it would be lovely if you got some babies out of them. :D

5. Tilly Bud says:

That’s a LOT of eggs!

There are more eggs than hen there. That’s some productivity.

Yes, I am very excited about the possibilities but also uncertain. Surely, if both mothers are so attentive, at least some of the eggs are viable? I guess it’s a wait and see situation!~!

7. avian101 says:

Seems like they family will grow soon! :)

I have a similar situation with my Geese. Polly and the Hisster Sisters are laying eggs daily. I have been taking them away as I find them, but it is sad to see them come back to the empty nest each day. With no gander I know they are not fertile. :(
    ~ Lynda

Oh dear – so maybe those eggs aren’t fertile and the guinneafowl hen and Tapper are deluded? I’m not quite sure what to do – I thought there might be some hatchlings. What do you think?

• pixilated2 says:

You definitely appear to have both male and female guineas, I went back to your post “Even More
        Determination” for a photo ID. ;) To define them yourself, you can look here: http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/sexing/ NOTE: This is not like the goose sexing film of earlier. Your guineas are much more easily sexed, LOL! If there have been wild ducks hanging about your place you may still have a chance at a couple of duck hatchlings from Tapper. If not, then I would GINGERLY take them away to avoid the hazard of EXPLODING EGGS! (Once when I was seven my mother sent me crawling under the shed to retrieve a nestful of abandoned duck eggs… the stench and retching were hideous!!! I believe I am still scarred from the experience! : ( )
        ~ Lynda

Oh this is interesting – don’t have time to look at the link yet but I will! Thanks Lynda!

OMG I just read your comment properly – exploding eggs – argh! I love your story of retrieving abandoned eggs LOL!!!

9. Wow (also) !
    So many eggs.
    I wonder if they’ll all hatch.

10. You’ll be inundated with baby birds. Fantastic!

11. Fergiemoto says:

So sweet! There sure are a lot of eggs. Hope they survive and produce little chicks.

12. I love the photos! Wow, what a lot of eggs! I hope you’ll post pictures when they hatch.

I’ve never seen guinea hen chicks. Hope they hatch and you get great pics of them. We raised chickens when I was a kid, and I always got to have one pet out of the big, cardboard box of chicks that came. It was a sacred chicken–one my dad wouldn’t eat, and I could let it out of the chicken yard and let it follow me all through the vegetable garden. I’d take a shovel and dig up worms for it. I had a pet rabbit too, who’d follow along. Great memories. Glad we didn’t have a neighborhood fox.

14. How long does a hen sit on an egg before it is hatched? I should think some of these are filled with tiny baby chicks. I know we’ll see pictures when it’s all done.

15. Gosh, I hope something hatches out of all of those eggs! Talk about suspenseful!

16. Mamma mia! The only time I see that many eggs is in the grocery store!