Love story 2

on April 12, 2012

It took around three months for Husband’s mother to like me because I think she thought I was a bit of a hippy. At the time I dressed in a t-shirt and Indian skirt, and the thongs on my feet drew severe expressions of disapproval. After all, she was very ‘old school’ and was always dressed immaculately in a frock, cardigan, stockings, court shoes, and her face was always powdered, her lips lipsticked, whereas I would arrive every morning, all sweaty and dishevelled on my bicycle….

It was my grin that won her over. She finally stopped calling me ‘that girl’ and began calling me ‘darling’ and told me to stop calling her Mrs BG and, from that moment, I began to call her ‘Inna’, her family’s name for her. By this time I had already fallen in love with Husband but he didn’t know that – he just saw me as the new ‘help’ – ha!

It was an enormous learning curve for me to meet a family so different from my own; it wasn’t just the rural thing, it was the drinks at 5pm – gin and tonics, cinzano and lemonade, whiskey and soda, beer – and Inna’s Benson and Hedges cigarettes! For me it was like entering into a forbidden adventure since I had been brought up to think all of these things were rather sinful.

I watched and served and watched and served until one afternoon, after the milking of the cows was over, Husband came into the kitchen where I was trying to do the fish mornay and said, “Do you want to join us?”

41 responses to “Love story 2

1. OK…when do we find out what happened next? ;)

You are spoon feeding us…
    I like the suspense! ;)
    ~ Lynda

3. Sonel says:

Beautiful! :)

4. And then? Can’t wait for your next instalment.

Hip huggers, t-shirts, Indian skirts, peasant tops = hippie garb. Still my clothes of choice. He must have fallen in love with the young hippie, asking you to “join us.” How polite he was! So when you first saw him, what happened?

6. Tilly Bud says:

Can’t wait for part 3!

Did you work for the family the entire time before you married the man? When did you go back to school? I know, I’m getting ahead of myself. Always do.

8. Riba says:

More big sweetness.

9. Fergiemoto says:

Awww…that’s lovely!

10. Isn’t love with your soul mate grand?
    Your story of meeting husband’s mom and falling in love with her reminds me gently of my hubby’s grandmother. Also I was looked at like a hippie from my hubby’s family, I came from the wrong side of the tracks, tracks hell, I came from near the tracks! In my case it was y hubby who knew I was going to be his bride before I did, also the mother of his children. I just thought he was weird!
    His grandmother was the only one who gave me a chance.
    I’ve been inspired Jules to write my love story too. I’m so jazzed up that you are writing this from the very beginning, which makes all the sense it should. .

Thank you for sharing such a personal time in your life then and now. My hope is that while giving us this gift it’s also cathartic for you.

11. Love the details in this part! I definitely want to hear what happened next!

12. Hey, aren’t you skipping something? You said, by then you were already in love with your husband but he didn’t know. How come the love? What made you fall in love? Please, please tell us!

13. this is very sweet! it started my day with a smile

14. bluebee says:

Aha! There’s that fish mornay again – that did it, I think :)

15. So this was a slow dance. How delightful!!

16. Well……………….I’m waiting for the next episode.

As I’m behind in my emails, I’m reading the most recent first and I didn’t see the next instalment pop up earlier this evening.

(I tried reading the oldest emails first when my computer broke down, but…….have you ever tried reading a couple of hundred emails from the bottom ……up. Nowadays, when I get behind with email reading, I read the latest one at the top of the page first and then work my way down).

Yes, I know what you mean about the backwards reading thing! I do not envy you catching up with all your fans and blogs you subscribe to + other emails. Take your time – how else will you do it?

17. dou dou says:

“Bing thing” in your heart, gets you everytime LOL