How interesting! I just sussed out the recent statistics for this blog (something I don’t usually do – really!) and found that pain is much more popular than pleasure. I don’t have these two pps as categories in this blog, but it is obvious that more people want to read about sad stuff than happy stuff.
I do understand this because, when I was teaching Creative Writing at the local university, I used to talk to the students about this writing conundrum (this was before my husband got so sick), and this is what they came up with at the time:
- when you read about other shit, yours doesn’t seem so bad;
- happy stories are dead boring;
- yes, but tragedy always has comedy too;
- why can’t I just gutspill onto the page?
- because Julie said you need to restrain yourself a bit more
- what a load of crap!
- one painful sentence is worth it
- fuck pleasure – let”s do this!
I miss those students and their wisdoms.
And I would like to know why pain is so pleasurable – over to you…..