Flying lessons

on November 27, 2011

I have a new bird and I am teaching her to fly.

Yes, I know that sounds ridiculous because I actually can’t fly myself, although I did try tried several times as a child until my dad banished me from my flight pad on the garage roof. The second time I broke my arm he decided that the time had come to explain to me that my arm was an arm and that it would never be a wing. I remember sobbing. I was four.

This new bird is five months old and has been hand-raised. She has come all the way from the other side of Australia. She is beautiful, exotic, an endangered species and, even though she is temporarily in a cage in our veranda (right next to our weiro’s cage) I let both birds out during the day and they usually hang out on top of the biggest cage, munching seed and chattering to each other.

Last evening, I put Buttons the weiro to bed in her cage so I could concentrate on our new bird’s first flying lesson. I flapped my arms up and down and she looked at me from her perch for a moment, then suddenly began to copy me and, a moment later, she was flying all around the veranda – wow! I was a little disconcerted when she smashed into me but when I picked her up she pressed her substantial beak against my nose as if to say, “that was fun!”

Her name is ‘Wantok’.

15 responses to “Flying lessons

1. Johanna says:

Wantok looks like a regal bird and I’m sure you’re going to have some fun with her. I’m enjoying your bird blog – it’s fresh, amusing and inventive. Keep up the entertaining work 🙂

2. Jenny says:

I love your story of wanting to fly when you were younger; I could visualise a young Julie launching herself from the garage roof. Did you have a cape as well? How lucky to have a red-tailed black cockatoo, I’m sure it’s very greatful for the flying lessons. 🙂

3. Rachel says:

Oh my god they are my favorite bird:) I was going to ask if you were going to get one. Saw some in pet shop last week.

4. Bob Zeller says:

Hmmm, very exciting. Will look forward to your next post. 🙂

5. I love them. Was so tempted to get the one in the petshop, but didn’t think Stella (dog) would be too impressed or Brian at the price 😉

I can’t see the rounded fluffy crest erected forwards over her forehead, so I assumed she must be a Glossy Black-Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus lathani), not a Red-tailed black Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus banksii).

Since I’ve never seen either in real life, I’m not sure. Her long red tail feathers look more like the Glossy Black-Cockatoo.

7. cuhome says:

Nice post, Julie! Informative, with just the right dash of humor tossed into the mix !

8. Wayne says:

Why have you ripped off my photo & pasted it into your blog pretending that its your bird ???