The patter of little feet

on November 30, 2011

This picture was taken a few weeks ago and I’m very glad I took a few shots like this because all four of these goslings are now HUGE! I have never known anything to grow as fast as a goose (well, except maybe a miniature pig – see previous posts.)

The first time I heard the sound I was outside the front of the house, getting firewood. I thought it was a roll of thunder but when I looked up, the sky was clear, so I realised it must be Son on his drums.

That is until they came around the corner – six geese at full speed, their huge webbed feet slapping the ground into a primeval beat. When they spotted me, their stampede became more frenzied until they reached me and I told them I’d run out of lettuce.

Disappointed, they waddled quietly away.

Note: ‘the patter of little feet’ quote comes from the following poem:

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, “The Children’s Hour

Between the dark and the daylight,  When the night is beginning to lower,   Comes a pause in the day’s occupations,   That is known as the Children’s Hour.

I hear in the chamber above me   The patter of little feet,   The sound of a door that is opened,   And voices soft and sweet.

Enhanced by Zemanta

15 responses to “The patter of little feet

1. Donna says:

Goslings are special – luck you Julie. FYI try them with watermelon

2. Tilly Bud says:

One of the joys of walking our dogs in a favourite park is watching the goslings become geese. How lovely to have them so close to home.

Here’s a senryu I wrote a few years ago:

Friendship

Geese guard a stricken
    comrade until it dies or
    flies again – how neece.

I told you I love geese!

3. Were you able to pick them up when they were young?
    I would love to feel their soft down.
    Paula

4. Northern Narratives says:

They are so cute 🙂

There is nothing so wonderful as the “patter” of those flappy feet. It amazes me how four geese can make so much noise when they are on the run! Isn’t it wonderful? ~ Lynda

6. janeslog says:

Geese make good guards. They are used to guard distilleries in Scotland. Who would be daft enough to try and gain access to a distillery when a flock of geese are between you and the ‘water of life’?

This is good news to me because when the geese were little our dogs would’ve killed them; now I think combat would be out of the question as the geese are much bigger – ha!