Nostalgic nuances

on April 27, 2012

These pictures are of Woodroffe, the youngest of our three Sebastopol geese. He and his sister, Diamond, are about a year old now. Woody was only a few days old, but Diamond was a few weeks old, when we first got them, and it has made a huge difference in terms of my relationship with them. Woody is pattable and very tame but Diamond is quite shy and aloof.

Woody is on the far left.

This is Woody now!

When Woody was a baby, Husband still lived here at home. Woody’s name was inspired by Husband’s family’s famous ancestor, George Woodroffe Goyder.

The trouble is, I am beginning to think Woody might be a girl!

28 responses to “Nostalgic nuances

1. niasunset says:

Oh dear Julie, you are both so nice… How lovely this baby! This is a wonderful photograph… Blessing and Happiness for you all. Thank you, have a nice weekend, with my love, nia

2. Sonel says:

Oh, they are just adorable Julie and love the photo’s! You are just as gorgeous as they are. 🙂
    *hugs*

3. Sofia says:

oh dear…Woody sounds neutral enough, I suppose 🙂 She’ll be unique~

4. Fergiemoto says:

Oh, so cute and cuddly! I love the little guy in your first photo.

When I was little, my mom ended up with one, stray duckling somehow. She kept him in the house and let him swim in our kitchen sink, and she named him Elmar. Until he laid an egg.

Julie, I may be jumping to dilusions here but, Woody might still be a he. If you are alluding to behaviors between them, well you might be surprised to know that a lot of that particular behavior is done to establish dominance… If that is what has you confused about their gender. 😉
    They are beautiful! ~ Lynda

Well I’m not doing that thing you told me about ages ago and looking at their whatsies!

• pixilated2 says:

OHMYGOODNESS, NO! They are far to big for that! They will resent you for it and really at this point you won’t have to. If Woody lays an egg, well it’s obvious then. 😉 There are precursors to watch for in laying an egg. Assembling leaves and straw in a circle about her, and sitting in it to test it out, or if a straw bale is handy she will begin dismantling it and setting up a nest. She will also begin a lowing sound right before laying an egg and then find her nest quickly.

But if there is just a bunch of horse-play going on, then it might well be just a dominance issue. ~ L

I am laughing hysterically at your comment because I have no intention of doing THAT! I guess we will just wait and see and I will do some straw gathering – thanks L!

7. janechese says:

fascinating feathers! Sending thoughts of happiness your way, Jane

8. terry1954 says:

o no!! a girl, u will have to change the name! those photos were precious

9. Paws To Talk says:

Cute wings 🙂
    Bella and DiDi

10. bluebee says:

Life is full of surprises! Lovely photos, Julie

11. That last line brought out a LOL.

12. Woodella? That’s a tough name to feminize!