Love story 11

on April 29, 2012

The first time she cried in front of me, I didn’t see it coming and I wasn’t prepared. Inna was in her 80s, she had broken her hip before I met her, she suffered bouts of pneumonia and had to be hospitalized on occasion and she was sometimes a tiny bit confused.

It was after her shower which I had learned how to help her with. She was standing in front of the bathroom mirror with a towel around her, staring at her reflection and frowning at what she saw. I was used to her frown, to her sternness, to her abrupt frankness, so my teenage heart did a somersault when she began to weep. “I am so old and so ugly,” she said through her tears and I gave her the first of many hugs. “No, you are beautiful, Inna – you are beautiful,” I said.

Almost immediately, she broke free of my embrace, wiped her eyes and ordered me to get her clothes. I did so immediately, my heartbeat fluttering in a way it never had before.

I adored her. I admired her stoicism. I wanted to be like her.

50 responses to “Love story 11

1. dogdaz says:

Lovely story. These are the things that make you who you are today. – DogDaz

What can a man say to an article of this nature without seeming to be a wimp. This is so heartfelt, so meaning full, it makes me want to get in my car and drive over to my Mom just to give her a hug and to say how I love her. What a ……………. I’m lost for words thank you for sharing.

3. I love her too because she loved you. Don’t you just adore an older woman you can tell yourself, “when I grow – up I want to be just like her? ”

I have my Miss E. I never do this, but maybe you’d like to read my trbute to her. She just celebrated her 87th birthday. She’s my All – Time hero.

4. […] reading a tender & most loving piece by our own Miss Jules. (Julie, jmgoyder at her blog: https://jmgoyder.com/2012/04/29/love-story-11/  I was very quickly reminded of thos piece I wrote some time ago.Because I had just TWO […]

5. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

Wow. I understand that. When we soften, but then snap hard again. I now think it’s okay to be soft at times – is just okay. But she does sound very stoic, and to be admired 🙂

6. avian101 says:

That was a very inspiring moment, two stories facing each other, hers being old and reaching the limits of her life and yours, a young girl still confused but full of life, looking for a path to follow. You took the right one! Inna knew it!

7. Colline says:

I know of older women who I have admired and even now I often think I would like to be a woman like my grandmother. I can only hope that one day I be a role model for another girl.

8. That’s a nice compliment to anyone – to want to be like them. Very touching story.

Touching. Thanks.

10. cuhome says:

Oh, that we could love ourselves as we love others, and find goodness instead of fault with ourselves, as we do with others! You were perfect for her! You spoke the words she needed to hear to right herself. She was teaching, and you, her; neither of you knew it. Wonderful vignette!

11. […] reading a tender & most loving piece by our own Miss Jules. (Julie, jmgoyder at her blog: https://jmgoyder.com/2012/04/29/love-story-11/  I was very quickly reminded of this piece I wrote some time ago.Because I had just TWO […]

12. niasunset says:

This is so admirable story. And you are so beautiful and so lucky to have a mother-in-law like her. I am impressed so much but on the other hand, remembered my mother-in-law too… she was so nice “mother” ( she was so nice person but I especially used this word, mother because I learned from her what was to be a mother… she loved me endlessly… she loved me as her real daughter… ) Thank you dear Julie, angels, beauties, and the sun be with you always. with my love, nia

13. That both eloquent and poignant. Perfectly written!

Well, she was 80. I guess when we stay young mentally, it’s harder to accept having an older space suit. We’re so vain. I might be kindred spirits with Inna. I hate getting wrinkly and saggy, and I’m only 55. Oh well…

So interesting Julie. You had such an unspoken bond with Inna from the start. It’s almost like you both were connected on some deeper level immediately. Also fascinating that you were not intimidated by her sterness, and could offer her emotional support despite this, and even considered her a role model. Wow!

16. What a strong woman, and a great role model too.

17. Tilly Bud says:

I think you are like her.

18. bluebee says:

A lovely chapter – so much said in a few words

Thank you so much, bluebee – yes, apart from not having time enough to write detailed chapters it is good to get the little glimpses recorded. Juliexx

19. I love that your love story encompasses his mother! Wonderfully told!

20. Riba says:

Goodness. A powerful post! 🙂

21. What a beautiful story and a beautiful heart you have.

22. Fergiemoto says:

It’s important to let the tears out and it’s natural to have emotions. Crying is not a sign of weakness.