Anthony is coming home for the day.

on May 24, 2012

My husband, Anthony, is coming home for the day. I will pick him up from the nursing lodge in about two hours and bring him back to the farm. He is determined to help us do some jobs around the place, to relight the Aga and to get a fire going in the fireplace. These jobs will take until lunchtime and I am going to make one of his simple favourites – scrambled egg with chopped tomato. After lunch I predict he will have one of those weird ‘turns’ he has at noon but this time I will not panic or get the ambulance – I will just wait it out and let him sleep for awhile, even though it isn’t really sleeping; it’s more of a going almost unconscious thing which one doctor describes as a ‘brain freeze’ typical of Anthony’s type of Parkinson’s Disease.

Then we will probably all watch something funny on television (Anthony’s favourite series is Black Books), have afternoon tea while I show him the blog, then I will take him back before 5.30pm when dinner is served at the nursing lodge. By this time (I know from experience) Anthony will be very crippled and it will take both Son and me to get him to the car and Son’s patience will have run out. He is a wonderful teenager but, having shared the care of Anthony over the years previous to admission to the nursing lodge, Son has had enough and I completely understand this, so I will not make him accompany us on the drive back.

On return to the nursing lodge I may have to fetch a wheelchair. We will be greeted by the beautiful, friendly staff and I will settle Anthony back into his room, stay for awhile and try to jolly him out of his sadness at not being able to stay the night at home. Then I will leave and try very hard not to cry on the way home again. Once back at the farm I will feed the birds and put them away for the night, then I will go into the house where Son will give me a bearhug.

45 responses to “Anthony is coming home for the day.

Good! Once you accept the inevitable–the way things are–things get easier. Enjoy your day with your husband.

2. Have a great day and say hi to Anthony for me. Tell him like scrambled eggs too!

Glad you are finding your stride in all of this. I hope son will too. xo, Lynda

4. angelasommers says:

I wish you a most delightful day together! 🙂

5. artfulanxiety says:

Black Books is great. You all deserve huge bear hugs.

6. I hope that the day goes even better than planned!

Sending lots of love and bearhugs for that sad journey home, and remember, he is in the best possible place at the nursing lodge. They are well equiped to help him in times of difficulty and during the night (when you need your beauty sleep & Son needs his party animal time).

8. terry1954 says:

i hope you both have a fantastic and peaceful visit. i am happy for you

9. camsgranny says:

There is nothing like that bearhug, {H U G S } to you…:)

10. Michelle says:

That sounds like a beautiful day Jules.

I’m sorry it was postponed Julie! Hang in my friend – it will come together…sounded like such a nice plan too.. make sure son still gives you a giant bear hug – and an extra from me!! xo

12. You’re having a tough life but you’re making the best of it. I bet that lemonade you make with all your lemons taste really good!

13. Sorry it was postponed – hope you all have a beautiful, easy day together on Saturday. Bless xx

14. niasunset says:

Dear Julie, have a nice day with your husband, Greetings and Love, love you, nia

15. cuhome says:

. . . a well-deserved bear hug!! ♥♥

16. Seetie, I am not sure whether to say I am sorry it did not work out or horray the doctor finally showed.
    Your ups and downs like a yoyo are what keeps you off kilter, not knowing what to expect. I get this.
    I am not so sure I could do what you do, but then being faced wuth choices that still are not the ones that bring us back to days of bliss maybe I could do that too. I would put that smile on my face, awesome attitude in my pocket, and courage in my purse…..

……..and then call out…. JULES????

Sorry it didn’t work like the plan. Frustratingly sad, I know. Sounds like Anthony is having associated seizures or mini-strokes.
    Yes, grab that big hug from Son anyway. {{{HUG}}} from me.

18. Wishing you a lovely day of togetherness!

19. I’m sorry it didn’t work out this time, I keep hoping for the best for you.

20. It’s a lot for a teenager, I would think. Emotionally it must be tough to see his dad like this. You are a really strong person, and I bet you get tired of hearing this, and maybe somedays don’t want to have to be strong. Hugs to you and your family!

21. I figured you can’t have too many hugs. So here’s a cyber hug. ((((hugs)))) Hope your day was lovely.