Angels humming?

on June 22, 2012

When I was eight, I went away to a friend’s parents’ lake cottage for two weeks and was so homesick that I found everything beyond the first day unbearable.

On the long trip home, I looked out of the car window as the trees rushed past and all of a sudden I thought I heard angels humming. I don’t know/will never know if this was imagination, wishful thinking, my prayers,Β or real angels singing just to me, but it sustained me until I was delivered back to my family.

Today, I thought I heard exactly the same sound and, since I wasn’t having such a good day, I embraced the sound, amazed!

It wasn’t until the humming angels became rather loud that I discovered I had left the door of the refrigerator open and it was the alarm.

58 responses to “Angels humming?

1. I still think it was angels humming

2. niasunset says:

…. this was funny at the end BUT what a nice memory in the depth of your soul… Angels humming… Thank you dear Julie, have a nice weekend, angels be with you always, love you, nia

Somehow, after a rough day, I think that finding out it was the refrigerator alarm would have been such a let down… for me anyway.
    ~ Lynda
    PS: I find the thought of Angels humming delightful! You can’t think about it without getting a smile on your face.

Just hysterical Julie. LOL

5. terry1954 says:

i hate to say it Julie, but that was funny, and it reminded me of something i would do

6. shoreacres says:

Well, angels are supposed to watch over us, and yours let you know you should close the refrigerator door!

7. Katrina says:

I’m sure it was angels humming, they were humming in tune with the alarm to amuse you and help you lighten up a little,

That was great! Actually, when I was 8 or so, I stayed awake all night thinking a monster was under my bed. In the morning, I would not get out of bed, and my mother found a child’s turntable with a record album spinning round and round. Angels humming, for you, was wishful thinking, I guess. Nice and funny anecdote.

Hey, it made you happy for a minute. And who knows? Maybe angels work through refrigerators.

10. Fergiemoto says:

Well, it’s not the ending I was expecting, but funny anyway!

11. They were watching over you, reminding you to close the fridge door.

I know the feeling.

13. Rhonda says:

that could have been the sound of another new angel getting his wings jules.
    and I agree, a snippet of beauty from a bad day (or 2 weeks).

Angels made the fridge sing πŸ™‚

15. ElysiaK says:

I bet it was angels humming initially… But when they found out that you were paying attention, WAY TOO CLOSELY, they obviously had to cover their tracks somehow, right? I mean, you’re never supposed to actually find an angel. Hence, my conclusion is that they were just being careful. πŸ˜›

16. Tammy says:

Oh gosh, I cracked up! You’re darn cute – thanks for the poignant recollection, it brought me right back to when I was little and would be fiercely homesick. But then, the refrigerator – oh so funny to end on!

17. Angels humming when you most need it. I get it. I hear them too. Mine was a fan left on in the basement I did not know about. Whatever works, right?

18. bluebee says:

Take the sign from whence it cometh – perhaps there is some heavenly chocolate cake in the fridge just waiting for you πŸ™‚

19. My angels yell at me. It’s oddly comforting, too.

20. Finn Holding says:

Are you sure it was the alarm Julie? I’ve got angels in my fridge too. They live in lots of little green bottles and they’re all called Stella. And they sing to me to open the bottles and let them out. And guess what? When I do, each one is full of lovely cold beer. How mad is that?

21. Angels tell speak to me through my washing machine!
    … they probably have a whole stash of laundry.

22. Fun & funny story. Love the thought of angels humming. It seems such a casual and mundane (earthly) way of saying we are here. Everyones comments are a hoot!

23. I have never heard of a refrigerator with a door-open alarm. What a great idea!