Good things 1

on June 30, 2012

A pianist in our paddock (yes, I know I posted this photo previously but for some reason the comments went off automatically).

Last beautiful picture of Anthony with Doc (who died several weeks ago). Jack in the forefront, who I have re-named ‘Jumping Jack’ because he jumps like a kangaroo, will outlive all of us I think!

How to make a Harley Davidson motorbike cake ….

My good friend, the madcakelady herself, on the left, and me.

A son, sitting on the best surprise Christmas present ever! (Anthony is in the background).

Anthony’s pride and joy, the Aga – the hub of this house.

A scoliosis surgery success story.

Love.

38 responses to “Good things 1

1. Beautiful photos Jules.. and you actually have a nice one of me… .Thanks for including us your blogs lovely lady xx Im sorry to hear about Doc.. the kids are really sad when I told them.. I thought they were going to cry!!

2. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    All fantastic photos, with good memories as well. 😀

3. a lovely short walk through a few moments of your life – thanks for sharing – and I have to say I love the pianist in the paddock!

Good things indeed.

5. 2me4art says:

Hi, I nominated you for the “very inspiring blogging award” which is more work for you. You don’t have to accept it or as far as I’m concerned take the award & forget the rules. 7 secrets & nominate 15 people. I adore your writing, i marvel at your day to day living. I read everything you write. Congrats, Amy

Amy – you are too good to me! Thank you so much for the award – I know you understand me and my award phobia so hope it’s okay if I sit on it for a moment. Your posts inspire me too but you are so prolific I sometimes can’t keep up – ha! I love the way you keep us on our toes! Juliexx

6. Rhonda says:

I so needed a happy post today Jules, and it tickles me no end that I found it here! And roll up your sleeves, let’s see more! 🙂
    R

“See the Good” – another one of my mantras…and a wonderful coping tool sometimes. This post made me smile too 🙂

8. magicallymad says:

These are so wonderful – funny to see Christmas without snow!! Award for you on my page 🙂

9. terry1954 says:

nice photo of yourself Julie! i enjoy fitting the picture with the words………..thank u for sharing

10. Fergiemoto says:

Definitely good things to remember!!

11. Awesome memoies you share. Son’sscar looks really good! mean its not red, angry looking that a lot of back surgery scars appear even years after. His looks like he healed so well.

I can see why Anthony thought so much out of his beloved Aga. I want one! That’s the most unigue looking appliance I have seen, although I know little about them. That’s be a cool post Jules, for those of us who don’t know about one. How is it to cook on? Do you bake in it too? I’m just fascinated, sorry~

Anthony bought the Aga before I even met him so it is nearly 40 years old! It cost him $1,000 at the time which was huge back then. Now they cost around $20,000 I think/hate to think! Ours runs on kerosene, not wood and when it is lit (we only light it in winter) it is amazing to cook on because it is alway on. I love it!

12. janeslog says:

When I was young I used to stay some the weekend at the youth hostel (no longer there) in the village of Wanlockhead in Dumfries and Galloway. It was always during the winter months as the hostel was open then. I cycled down with the Cycling Touring Club, Glasgow group.

Wanlockhead is the highest village in Scotland and in the winter it was extremely cold. The roads were usually covered with snow and ice and the surrounding area was bleak.

The youth hostel was always very cold in the rooms, apart from the kitchen, which had an Aga cooker. Everyone sat in the kitchen because it was nice and warm and we would stay there until we had to leave to go to freezing dorms.

There were fireplaces in all the rooms but we were only allowed 2 pieces of coal on the fire. The old warden, Mrs Young, used to count the coal and heaven help anyone who put more than 2 pieces on the fire.

I loved it just the same!

Oh how I love your anecdotes! It must have been freeeeeeezing! Thank goodness they had an Aga.
      Our little house is freezing in winter (now) except for the kitchen, thanks to the Aga.
      Thanks Jane! Juliex

• janeslog says:

Wanlockhead is also known as ‘God’s treasure house” because the land contains many rare and precious minerals and metals, including gold and silver. I suppose it is similar to Australia in many ways.

Local folklore is that most of the gold was taken by Benedictine monks and is now in the Vatican! Probably explains why so many Scots went to Australia in the 19th century to pan for gold there instead of staying in their home country.

I made a YouTube video a few years ago and it gives a good picture of the landscape in the area. The remains of the mines can be seen.

What a great youtube – thanks!!!

13. shoreacres says:

I just had to go look up the Aga – didn’t have a clue what it was. I’d sort of figured out “stove”, but my goodness! What a stove!

i’ve always enjoyed cooking with cast iron, both at home and up in the woods – the things that can be done with a cast iron “Dutch oven” are remarkable. And that red’s a nice touch, too!

14. Camila says:

this post is so interesting, when i find some free time i will read all the others.http://www.expectaculo.com

15. Great photos! The piano in the pasture is unexpectedly up lifting!

16. I remember when I got my first motorcycle, although it wasn’t a Christmas present. It was simply a present to me because I wanted it!……….lol

17. […] Guide to Laser Spine SurgeryWhy Cervical Spine surgery IndiaFull Day and Swimming for the 1st timeGood things 1 #header { background: […]