Once bitten, twice shy

on July 15, 2012

One second after I took this too close closeup photo of the gang, Godfrey (in the forefront – the godfather of ganderdom), bit me hard on the shin and I had to kick him off. He bites me all the time so I am quite used to it now, but this time he wouldn’t let go. If I give him a piece of bread he swallows it whole and then tries to eat my arm. He has trained all of the others to hiss at the peacocks so I am not quite sure why I remain his primary target; I think it’s probably jealousy.

Of course it’s jealousy – yes! I should have realized it before. Godfrey cannot bear it that ‘his’ gang love me more than they love him. They are actually beginning to get sick of his autocratic, dictatorial bossiness. This theory was well and truly confirmed when Woodroffe came to see me a few seconds later to apologize on Godfrey’s behalf and to explain how careful they have to be not to annoy him.

“I love you, Julie,” he whispered.

“I love you too, Woody,” I whispered back, stroking his feathers.

58 responses to “Once bitten, twice shy

1. Oh Woodie, you gentleman! 😀

2. yikes! It may be childish but I would grab his neck and bite back! Don’t laugh – I did that with a shepherd/wolf cross I had once. He bit me when he was 4 months old. I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and bit back hard. He had long fur, so I was spitting out dog hair all day but he never bit me again. I know, I know…my nick name used to be Crazy Di so I understand if you are questioning my sanity. 😉

3. terry1954 says:

ouch! that had to hurt

4. If Godfrey isn’t careful, he’s going to end up as goose soup.

• He’s so lucky to be loved!

Yes but he is on thin ice!

• I had a response and I think it got lost. I suggested that you might post the recipe for goose soup outside in the yard in one of his favourite haunts and he might get the message and smarten up. If that fails, you might have to get yourself a set of greaves like the ancient Greeks wore. From Wikipedia:Often in matched pairs (a pair of greaves), greaves may be constructed of materials ranging from padded cloth to steel plate. Some designs protect only the lower leg (a half-greave) or extend upwards to protect the thigh.

You might need the full length ones!

I have never heard of greaves – I am going to get some!

• They were all the rage in the days of Alexander the Great.

Will I need to go back in time to find some?

• It happened again, I accidentally scrolled and lost my Reply to the greaves question. Hope you don’t get it twice. I’ll try again. I wear hiking gators when I go mushroom picking. They’re made of a nylon-type material (very durable) and are meant to keep your legs dry from ankles to knees, keep sticks from scratching, keep insects from biting, and make it harder for bears to chew through your legs. You should be able to get them at a sports shop that sells hiking/camping supplies or outdoor clothing. They would definitely help protect you from Godfrey. I’d love to see his face if he tried to bite through the gators.

I am definitely going to get some!

• I think it’s a good idea.

5. Ms. Boice says:

You know, I kinda got misty when I got to the end.

6. awwww! I am not so sure I would be so patient with Godfrey.

7. Oh that photo of Woody just melts your heart…
    I must confess to being a little wary of geese since we were chased and bitten by some as children. Ouch! I think you’re very brave. xx

8. Jo-Anne says:

Oh what wonderful photos and yes I agree Godfrey is a jealous one and he does look like a bossy boots

He looked after all of the others from when they were little so I guess he feels ownership! He has forgotten that I was the one who looked after them when they were newly hatched!

9. meg lane says:

Godfey’s gotta GO! He’s keeping people away. Isn’t there a GodfeyHome for wayward ganders somewhere? M.L.

10. ceciliag says:

what a naughty fellow to bite , i am so glad that Woody is nicer.. who would have thought that they would hiss at peacocks though.. poor peacocks.. c

If you had a DSLR, I would also wonder if he could see a reflection of another goose in the lens and wanted to attack it, but you have a small camera don’t you, Julie?

12. artfulanxiety says:

Men!

13. Paws To Talk says:

What a sweetheart Woodroffe is! Great photo of him. Godfrey clearly is jealous.
    Bella and DiDi

14. ltpen315 says:

Okay, I have fallen in love…with Woody!!
    Barb.

Julie, he had better watch out! Sooner or later the others will get so fed up they will start pinching back! Georgie, one of my new boys did not want to relinquish his spot at the food feeder and so he and Hissster were seen “pinching cheek to cheek,” while they danced around the yard! Cheek feathers flew like snow flakes before it was over. 😦
    ~ Lynda
    PS: One can only hope that when the girls realize Georgie and Frellnick are boys, that they will stop all this foolishness and get along…

It has to hurt when a goose bites you. Ouch! I’m proud of Woodroffe. Maybe Godfrey will learn by example???

17. Fergiemoto says:

Awwww, Woody – that’s so sweet of you to say!

18. Godfather Godfrey? That is certainly one cunning man.
    Woody is a heart-meltin’ goose!

I got chased once by a rooster. He sure wanted me dead. A friend stepped in a swatted him with a board. Those things can be mean. My daughter is butchering four roosters this week. Good riddance! 🙂

20. Funny you should use that phrase. Great White was here in San Diego just a couple of weeks ago.