Just outside the back veranda door

on July 21, 2012

Just outside the back veranda door there are two peacocks wishing I would take better photographs of them

Just outside the back veranda door there is a golden pheasant wanting bread

Just outside the back veranda door, beyond the ancient fig trees, there is a car and a driveway and the possibility of a road that will lead me to the nursing lodge where my husband waits for me constantly

a road that suddenly became one-way

a road that can’t bring him home

a road that reverted from tar to gravel to dirt

a road that ripped our smiles apart and gave us a new jigsaw that is too difficult to figure out

a road that, today, I cannot travel.

42 responses to “Just outside the back veranda door

1. kdkh says:

I’m sorry.

2. Jo-Anne says:

What beautiful birds love these photos

I’m sorry.
    xo, ~ L

4. bluebee says:

It gets that way, Julie

5. Don’t feel bad; it happens. Time to trot out the cliché (but clichés are clichés because they are true): you are only human. Tomorrow will be better.

Lovely poem, though sad.

6. beautifully put – you make me cry – a road that has become one way – few people can express themselves so beautifully, yet what you are expressing is so personal, so,…
    but on a different note – love the pics of the birds – such vivid colouring

7. terry1954 says:

the birds are just as beautiful as the words you just wrote

8. Paws To Talk says:

They seem to love photo shoots 🙂 Gorgeous words to match.

9. 2me4art says:

Gobsmacked. Me too.

10. That’s ok my dear, sometimes we just need to stay home and regroup! The road will be there tomorrow….

when roads change their course on us like this…. it is soooo damn disorienting and soooo painful. I so wish there was a cardinal life law against altering roads this way Julie… Tears all over the keyboard now. We will both navigate best we can. Just remember – be gentle and kind – to you! Love u ~

12. Rhonda says:

I hate not knowing what to say because of being angry and I hate not having a place to throw my anger! It does no good to shake my fist at the sky but I’d like a chance to kick some devine ass once in a while. I’m gutted about this tragedy in Colorado, I’m praying for Ming’s friend, and sending you empathetic hugs on your road going sideways. It just sucks ass Jules…it just does.
    love to you
    R

13. ltpen315 says:

It really is okay to be sad and to take a moment to regroup.
    Beautiful birds.
    Barb

14. Beautiful post. Poignant and sad and wistful. I can see my road has become one way and takes me where I don’t want to go. Be content.

I wish that I could use as few words as you do to hook a reader so quickly with so much emotional impact. It always leaves me in awe. I only wish it were fiction, and the pain wasn’t real.