Well now I’ve seen everything!

on September 16, 2012

Phoenix 1, our golden pheasant male, was actually flirting with a baby rabbit! Golden pheasants perform their mating ritual by fanning out the feathers around their heads on one side, then turning around and doing the same thing on the other side. When we had our female pheasants, the two males did this continuously (which obviously drove the females crazy and may be why they disappeared!) So now that we only have the one male, he tends to flirt with every bird that is roughly his size – the new hens for instance. And now a baby rabbit!

It was difficult to get decent pictures of this little incident because it all happened so fast. Phoenix 1 had been terrorizing this baby rabbit with his flirting when suddenly the mother rabbit chased him off. Hilarious!

A moment after I took this second picture, the mother rabbit collided with Phoenix 1 and he got a terrible fright and flew into the closest tree. I stood there amazed and grinning.

54 responses to “Well now I’ve seen everything!

1. terry1954 says:

watching nature at its best is surely soothing to the heart……………..

2. Haha, the poor bird needs a lady! (or a castration…)

3. artsifrtsy says:

What a gorgeous bird – it’s so much more vibrant that the pheasants we have here – is it a domesticated bird? Great story!

4. hahaha unbelievably funny and interestingly weird. Between this story and a story my friend told me today, I’m just shaking my head. Turns out that my friend’s dog humps his stuffy toys when company comes over but not until he’s thrashed them about a bit and ensured that they’re submissive…Me thinks that this puppy read 50 shades…

5. jennnadams says:

Looks like Mommy rabbit told him! Lol!

6. Wow love that first photo…………………

7. Phoenix 1 sounds like he is a constant source of entertainment. I laughed when I read your conclusion as to why the females disappeared!

8. diannegray says:

What a classic! Isn’t nature just the finest thing 🙂 I love watching animals (particularly when the do ‘out of the ordinary’ things!)
    😀

Oh my Julie — this is one gorgeous pheasant. I guess he doesn’t know he is so attractive – but just has this ‘flirting instinct” built in! Amazing and what an entertaining thing to observe 🙂 xo

10. Rhonda says:

well you know what they say about rabbits…

11. eof737 says:

Oh boy! God thing rabbits don’t eat birds. 😉

12. eof737 says:

Meant to say Good thing! Ugh! 😦

Amazing, Julie.

(I saw a golden pheasant at the zoo do this ‘fanning’ thing with it’s ruff of neck feathers. It’s the most amazing thing I have even seen. It’s like the whole of the pheasant’s neck feathers stand out. I can imagine exactly what Phoenix 1 was doing).

Oh I’m so glad you saw this Victoria because it’s such a difficult thing to describe in words! When we had the two females and the two males, both males did it constantly all day long!

• victoriaaphotography says:

I’ve only seen it the once and I think it was the last zoo visit 2 weeks ago.

It’s an incredible sight isn’t it, Julie. The feathers standing out make it almost look like a mask with a flared neck piece. Quite unique. I think it more interesting that the peacock shaking it’s feathers.

14. you are so entertaining – or your animals are and you catch them

15. dogdaz says:

He’s a beauty, but definitely not very smart. LOL

I understand Phoenix 1 – would go for the little cute rabbit instead of a dull hen. Maybe it was good at mum Rabbit turned up as she did. And to tell you the truth if I was mum Rabbit I would go for Phoenix 1 myself – some handsome fellow, with his very posh color setting. Thanks for the cute photos.

17. Universal love. I so love this!

Seems that our so “called bird brain” feathered friends have far more intelligence than some humans. No discrimination there,

A brilliant post Jules.
    Thank you Mother nature.

18. Fergiemoto says:

Oh my goodness…how entertaining!

Talk about a protective parent. Bet the baby bunny had no idea what was going on.

20. Barb says:

How do you seem to catch these quinky-dinks of nature? Do you camp outside and work for National Geographic?

Love it to bits… man I’m missing my all day internet of the city…

22. Homepage says:

… [Trackback]…

[…] Find More Informations here: jmgoyder.com/2012/09/16/well-now-ive-seen-everything/ […]…