Little licks of laughter and love

on October 5, 2012

When Ming was a baby I used to call him ‘my little beautiful’. I would accompany this with tickling so that whenever I said ‘my little beautiful’  he would giggle and gurgle with the delight of anticipation.

I love laughing. I LOVE LAUGHING! Lately, though, there hasn’t been much to laugh about so my thirsty sense of humour seems to be grasping at the tiniest little things and latching onto them. Yesterday, for example, Ming and I were in a shop choosing birthday gifts for three of his friends – one girl and two guys. Ming had decided to buy perfume for the girl and cologne for the guys so we were examining the contents of the locked glass cabinet when he pointed to a tester bottle (you know, so you can test if you like it or not by spraying it on yourself). He said, ‘That looks like a good brand, Mum – Tester.’

I looked at him, thinking he was joking, but his expression was serious. ‘That’s a tester, Ming.’

‘Oh, do you know it?’

‘It’s a tester – it’s not a brand.’ By then I was nearly hysterical with laughter and Ming was blushing as the shop assistant opened the cabinet.

This incident keeps leaping, unbidden, back into my mind and making me laugh all over again.

A bit later  on in the day, we met my mother and our visiting cousins at a restaurant overlooking a bay. As my mother and I stood at the counter ordering our food, she said the strangest thing to me. She said, “Where’s the water?” I pointed to the bay so she headed back to the cousins and Ming who were seated almost on top of the bay. I wondered if perhaps my mother might be losing the plot. Once I was again seated at our table, she asked me again and I suddenly realized she meant drinking water. Again, I became nearly hysterical with laughter; we all did.

I guess you had to be there!

Then, last night, when I rang Anthony at the nursing lodge to say goodnight and he said, ‘Hello, my beautiful,’ and my heart grinned.

38 responses to “Little licks of laughter and love

1. terry1954 says:

i love it when you go back and fill us in with wonderful memories. you had some good laughs today. I am happy for you!!! and the way Ant’s talked on the phone, how priceless!!!

2. love that grinning heart!

Now that sounds like a good day… full of laughter, the best mind medicine there is… and then to cap it…”hello my beautiful” from Ant… wonderful… gave me a smile and a warm feeling… love it Julie..

4. OK, that tester story is HILARIOUS!!! My 6-year old would probably say that!

5. diannegray says:

Just beautiful, Julie. You certainly put a big smile on my face!

6. bluebee says:

– Isn’t Ming a sweetie?! Haha – and re the water, Jules, I don’t think it’s your mom who is losing the plot… 😉

7. the sublime, the ridiculous — there is little difference

8. pointed at the bay…hahaha!

9. Rhonda says:

I am laughing, not quite hysterically, but I’d sure like to be. I love laughing with you…this is so funny. Test the Water and find your laughter. YES! Keep your heart smiling Jules, every chance you can. It’s beautiful

smiling hearts are the best for healing everything dear Julie — 🙂 This was just wonderful ~ xo Love you …

11. Northern Narratives says:

I like the where’s the water question. That made me laugh 🙂

12. Sometimes it’s the little things that make a difference.

13. I love it when things like this happen and we start laughing at the silliest things happens to me all the bloody time…………..lol

14. Anonymous says:

I know I was not there but your laughter sounded like music to me. I pray more musical days for you my dear friend.

15. Anonymous says:

Even through I wasn’t there, your laughter sounds like music to me. I pray many more musical moments are yet to come.

16. Take humor when and where you find it. “my heart grinned” 🙂

Your last lines made my heart glad for you.

18. Glad that you were able to find laughter to share with us all. Keep smiling 🙂

No Julie, you didn’t have to be there, I’m sore laughing! 🙂

Three laughs close together. Sounds good to me!

21. […] Little licks of laughter and love (jmgoyder.com) […]

22. Laughter with love. Where would we be with out it? But where are the shrines celebrating it?

23. […] Little licks of laughter and love (jmgoyder.com) […]