Sibling rivalry

on February 28, 2013

pea 011

Ming adored Gutsy9 to begin with but over the weeks I have noticed a subtle change in Ming’s attitude. He’s been saying things like this:

– Get RID of him, Mum!
– He’s making a mess!
– No, I don’t want to babysit him!
– How come you’re always cuddling him – what about me?
– Why do you have to take him everywhere with you?
– You’re turning him into a spoilt brat!
– You love him more than you love me!
– No, yes, oh okay I am a bit jealous – WHO WOULDN’T BE!

Tonight is Gutsy9’s third night camping outside with a couple of new friends and I am just as anxious as I was the first night. When I mentioned my concerns to Ming, he yelled, “Well, good riddance and I hope he stays out there forever!”

“Wait until you have a child and you’ll know what it feels like,” I muttered under my breath but, unfortunately, Ming heard me.

“Mum, please, seriously, who do you love most – me or him?”

I pretended to think for a bit … “You, Ming.”

“THANK GOD!” he said, giving me a hug.

[Note: For anyone who doesn’t realize, Ming is my 19-year-old son and Gutsy9 is my 4-month-old peacock.]

55 responses to “Sibling rivalry

1. I love that Ming is so honest – I often think my family loves our stupid cat more than me–when I ask my husband he gets a stupid look on his face, like “I know what the answer is supposed to be, but should I lie?”

2. niasunset says:

You made me laugh… Oh dear Ming! I know this feeling, šŸ™‚ I say this too to my love because my cat loves him so much and of course my love too…

3. bulldog says:

Wonder what Gutsy9 would say if he could talk…???

I’m speechless (again)!

(How adorable is your Ming…..or Gutsy9…..or your Ming….or Gutsy9…..I don’t know…..both your children are pretty cute, I have to say).

5. That’s funny..but I’ll bet if anything happened to his little ‘brother’ he’d be upset!…Diane

6. This was so fun to read. I smiled so much, I loved it! :)))

7. Lovely story.

… my daughters always accuse me of loving Ellie, the wonder pooch most…. I smile and say… well…. she doesn’t talk back, but come to think of it, she doesn’t always do what I say either!

8. Yup, I get yelled at by the baby girl “You spoil Jack!. When are you going to punish him for his accidents in the house!” The baby boy chimes in “When are you going to stop spoiling him with treats!” I reply calmly Jack is the baby and you’ll see when you have your own babies and I get the eye roll and muttering. C’est la vie. šŸ™‚ Ming has company.

9. I love the posts about Gutsy9. Having raised three boys, I know all about sibling rivalry.

10. terry1954 says:

my kids do the same thing also. Always comparing each other against my feelings. It must be a normal thing. Kids just want to know they are the most important things to the mom.

11. Whew! So glad you love Ming more than the bird. He’d better behave though, or that could change, right? šŸ˜‰

This was hilarious Julie. šŸ™‚

13. Kozo says:

Love how you pretended to think a bit, Julie. Ming does love you if he is jealous of a baby peacock. {{{Hugs}}} Kozo

Be nice to Ming, he’s a good lad.

15. Tough call, but I’m behind you! šŸ˜‰

16. Trisha says:

That is too cute! I once told my kitty, “you are my sunshine” and Daniel was like, “hey, what about me?” But then he turns around and says he loves the dog more than anyone else. šŸ™‚ I bet Ming loves Gutsy9 more than he lets on.

17. adinparadise says:

What adorable kids you have, Julie. šŸ™‚

18. Lynda says:

Aww, how could you ever choose between them? šŸ˜‰

19. We have the same complaints from our sons about our dogs šŸ˜€

20. Susan says:

Maybe you might feel a little bit like I do … that my son is heading towards independence and I will need to find new things to fill that void? I am starting to panic just a bit and don’t want to just suddenly be alone and not have some strategy to cope with that change in my life. (Of course, I am very excited to watch this journey to independence unfold) It is an interesting time!

21. Glad that it ended with a hug – for both of you……..

22. Jealous over a bird…………….now that is funny…………………and Ming is old enough to take care of himself little Gutsy9 is just getting there

23. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

You call “Get RID of him, Mum” sibling rivalry?? !! Watch out, Julie!

I dare say, the old “Who do you love most – him or me?” would be difficult…

GOOD LUCK!

24. Sometimes Dimples feels the same way about Wonderbutt. But she says she would rather have him for a little brother than a human little brother, so there’s that.