Middle-aged? No way – I’m only 54!

on August 15, 2013

I’ve just realized that not only am I, technically, middle-aged, but I have been for some time. Shock! This realization has been due to a series of health mishaps in the last month.

1. A gastric virus that had me bedridden/bathroom-ridden for two weeks, and a subsequent suspected cracked rib;
2. A rotten tooth that had to be extracted, culminating in an ongoing dry socket infection.
3. An eye test that revealed I need glasses for both distance and reading, and that I have early signs of macular degeneration, and that my strabismus (squint) is quite pronounced due to the fact that I can only use one eye at a time.
4. The flu (the sniffy, coughy, fevery one).
5. Confirmation of cracked rib today due to re-fracture.

Okay so this morning I had to take Anthony to our doctor for the routine burning off of multiple skin cancers but I made a double appointment so I could discuss my ailments as well. As a result I am on two courses of antibiotics for my tooth infection and the flu. Then I took Ants out to brunch. He was fairly mobile at the doctor’s but by the time we got to the restaurant, he needed the wheelchair. Hoisting him out of the car into the chair and racing into the restaurant because it was windily raining, then twisting us both into the far-too-small disabled toilet, then getting us to a table, I must have re-cracked the rib because, as we ate our meal, I experienced an increasingly severe pain to my right side every time I bent or turned. Once it was just to get Ants’ feet off the footplates of the wheelchair and I think that was the clincher. By the time I got him back to the nursing lodge, it was agony, so I raced down to the walk-in chiropractor (my brother is a chiro but he is away at the moment) and he confirmed that my rib was indeed fractured.

The doctor, optometrist and chiropractor all used the phrase “at your age” which I found alarming until I got home and googled “middle-age”. That’s when I made my discovery so I am sitting here quietly now, absorbing the fact that I am middle-aged.

Oh well, I guess I don’t need to stress about any wrinkles I have anymore because you’re allowed to have those when you’re middle-aged. And that’s a great relief!

This photo was taken before I was middle-aged. The little alien on my lap is Ming, now 19.

9323

77 responses to “Middle-aged? No way – I’m only 54!

1. If this is middle age (me too), and in the states 55 is considered a senior citizen; I keep wanting to know what we call my dear 88 year old aunt. She who is a spitfire, one that I cannot keep up with.
    Baffles me.
    Great post Jules & love, love the photo of you and your Ming.
    And ouch on that cracked rib. Healing thoughts friend. ~

2. ytaba36 says:

Oh boy, you’ve had the lot dumped onto you. The rib alone would have been enough!

3. You don’t look middle aged to me. πŸ˜‰ And my doctor does not say “age” but “as we mature”.

4. niasunset says:

…. πŸ™‚ I am older than you dear Julie…. but believe me I don’t feel my real age… I loved your photograph and baby Ming… Blessing and Happiness to you all, Thanks and Love, nia

5. jmgoyder says:

I thought you were younger Nia!

6. You’re only as old as you are prepared to feel. Run down is all.

7. FacetsofLucy says:

Denial is a beautiful thing. I listened to a doctor once tell me about recovery rates being slower after surgery for middle aged women. Only later did I realize that he was talking about me!

8. fgassette says:

I am also much older than you, my aches may say I am a senior citizen but my heart says I young and I’m enjoying each new day. Praying you have a speedy recovery from your fracture.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

9. That’s a lovely photo. I’m ‘middle aged’ too – I can’t say I’m a big fan of it!

10. Vicki (from Victoria A Photography) says:

Yep!

It creeps up on you.
    It sneaks into your body without warning.

All of a sudden, you wake up ‘middle-aged’.

I think it’s a great time of life. You get to do whatever you like, say whatever you like and everybody laughs it off as ‘middle age’.

Seriously, I think it’s one of the best times in one’s life.

….and I’m……5 years older than you (and at the moment, I feel like I’m 110 years old physically and 10 years old mentally – lol).

But as long as you can laugh about it, you’re Just Fine, Julie.

Sorry to hear you’re still in pain….do take care of those ribs and ensure you’re taking some reputable calcium supplement from now on (if you’re not already doing so).

Sending lots of healing thoughts your way.

Vicki
    x

11. Sorry your ailments came in a bunch! Lately I noticed that all my doctors begins their sentences with “at your age”! Still, a friend is 95 and complained about energy. Her doctor said “at your age most people are dead– so be thankful at all you can do”! And she is a ball if energy compared to the rest of us, even at younger ages!

12. Rhonda says:

If we don’t look too closely in the mirror, and ignore the extra minutes it takes to rise in the morning, do not listen to the grunts of uh and oh when we try to get out of that ‘easy chair’ that’s not quite so easy anymore….then age is just a number! You and I are close, only a year apart, and at times I forget and I see, feel, and hear, the things that remind me time has gotten away from me a bit….but for the most part…it’s just a number. You’ve had half a shit sandwich these past couple weeks Jules…sending huge (and careful) hugs for that danged rib, glad you’re on meds for the others. You’ll be your old (oops) self soon. xoxo

13. Colline says:

You need to remember to look after yourself so that your rib can heal properly. I know it will be hard but no lifting of Antony 😦
    And even though you are officially middle-aged, there is no reason you should behave as such πŸ™‚
    Hope you feel better soon

14. Your picture of you and Ming is so beautiful! I don’t know how I feel about middle-age as a term. Technically it should mean that you are in the middle of an Age. Expanding on the idea of an Age brings me to the sci-fi/fantasy books that I love where Elves and Dwarfs live amongst humans and a middle aged Elf would be about 1000 years old. I know that this is neither here nor there but I guess what I am trying to say is that middle-aged doesn’t really mean anything and I choose to dream about being an Elf.

15. Senior citizen over here understands all too well from where you write. But hey, way I look at it, is every day I wake up breathing is a good day, lol. Beautiful photo.

16. Terry says:

I hope you feel better real soon. I am glad that at times Anthony can still walk some. For a week now Al’s legs won’t move. He can stand very briefly, seconds, but no movement

17. Debbie says:

Some numbers are just plain stupid! WhoEVER assigned the term “middle-age” to the human lifespan should be slapped. However, I do like the word “mature,” so I’ll hang on to that word. When I hit 50 seven years ago, I began to notice things, too. But I’m fighting it to keep up with future grandchildren and to travel, if things don’t go down the toilet. Life’s transitions are tough, but hang in there. You’ll be fine.
    Get well soon!

18. janeslog says:

My friend is a dentist and told me that no matter how well you look after your teeth you may lose some after 50. I live in West of Scotland where dental health is one of the worst in Europe due to the lack of fluoride in the water. Think yourself lucky you don’t live here or else you may have lost all your teeth! Ha ha.

Everyone reaches the point where they cannot read small print. Age is all in the mind. My mother had a great aunt who was able to march up and down to the shops and back until a week before she died at 96. Forget about your physical age and act the age you feel (within reason – I don’t mean go to the local disco and dance with the teenagers).

Just got back from the disco – ha! Not really.

• janeslog says:

Hit the dance floor, girl. We are having a night out to celebrate my new job and going up the clubs in Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow. You can have a good time dancing in the clubs and nobody bothers what age you are.

A long drink of orange and lemonade will keep you hydrated.

You must have been a beautiful baby….

20. Well feel better… I can’t believe I’ve reached (and passed) the ‘senior citizen’ level… Where did all the years go.. (now that is something a senior would say!!) You’ve been ‘whammied’ with a lot of ills…. hopefully they’ll all clear up ..at least most… !!! Diane

21. ksbeth says:

wow, you have a lot going on. don’t worry, you are only halfway through, and have another 50 some years to go)

“At your age!” Cheeky sods! πŸ™‚ (I’m turning 57 in a couple of weeks.)

23. Lynda says:

I think middle age is a lovely time to be. You look great, Julie!

24. How painful this must be!!! So sorry 😦 Your pic is precious.

On that “middle-age” subject? Nothing irks me more when the sentence ends with “for your age”. Ah…come on! πŸ™‚ Hanging in there with you β™₯

25. tersiaburger says:

Beautiful then and now…My MiL always said it is God’s mercy that our eyes weaken as we age…that way we don’t get to see all the wrinkles!

26. Oh Julie, you are still just a baby! πŸ™‚

27. bulldog says:

Middle age is just a word… wrinkles are a woman’s medals for all she has put up with in her life… so Dear Julie wear them with pride…

Julie, Age is but a number, 100 years ago if you lived to 54 you were anicent. Here in the states your only a year away from being a senior, which entitles you to a small coffee at McDonalds. Indeed you have had a bad run, but that means your getting it out of the now, so it don’t bite you at the end of the year. Enjoy your middle-age-dom, especially after you get over the flu, the cracked rib, and your other current ailments. Please take care, Bill

29. Judith says:

I’m past middle-aged, and it’s great! Every age has its good and bads. Once you’re past your speed bumps, enjoy!

30. I’m shocked every time I look in the mirror and realize I am a decade past the age my mental image of myself seems to be stuck in. (we are the same age!)

31. I too have been receiving comments like “at your age.” I hate that phrase!

32. gatito2 says:

I’m middle aged with you at 53. How did it happen? It’s bad enough with the health issues that come up, but for me personally, I was not counting on losing my daughter to boot. This life.