Annie get your gun!

on September 9, 2013

Well last week I finally got my firearms licence and was able to collect Anthony’s rifle from the lockup. It was a rather strange rigmarole which began three months ago when a policeman came to the door and frightened the hell out of me (because I keep getting speeding tickets – another story). He said he had come to seize the guns because Anthony’s licence had expired due to nonpayment of annual fees. I said I had deliberately let that go because Ants was in a nursing home now, so not in any fit state to shoot, and that I had no idea where the gun cabinet key was but his brother probably had the guns anyway. The policeman said he would go across the road and ask the brother and give me a few days to find the key.

So, as the brother did have the rifle, but said he didn’t have the other three guns (an air rifle and two shotguns), the policeman seized the rifle and put it in the lockup place for me to pick up when I got my own licence. Then I had to search for the gun cabinet key. Now you might be wondering why on earth I didn’t know where this was but (a) I have never known Anthony to shoot anything and (b) pre-nursing home, he had a habit of hiding strange things in strange places throughout the house and (c) when the new gun laws came in way back when, we got the gun cabinet and it hasn’t been opened since – nearly 20 years ago!

I didn’t even know what was in the stupid cabinet except I recalled Anthony putting a bunch of antique walking sticks in it (yes, he was eccentric even before the Parkinson’s disease). Anyway, after a 3-day search of all the nooks and crannies, I found a zillion keys, including the one for the gun cabinet.
IMG_2665

Inside was one rotting old shotgun (which had to be seized and destroyed) and the walking sticks.
IMG_2666

You see, I have to shoot the rabbits before they dig up the foundations of the house. Of course I am not relishing this horrible task, because I love animals, but these rabbits are taking over. Here is one of the bigdaddies flirting with one of the peahens – argh!
IMG_2644

I will get a better shot of how MANY rabbits are here tomorrow. If I can’t do it with the camera, how will I do it with the rifle? Oh dear.

48 responses to “Annie get your gun!

1. ytaba36 says:

I’m chuckling about that pile of keys!

Good luck, Annie. 🙂

2. Your last sentence made me smile. 🙂 Oh, and your collection of keys looks very similar to a collection I could make if I searched all the nooks and crannies of our house.

3. Having a gun and shooting it are two very different things! I know I’d be dreadful. Good luck 😉

4. jmgoyder says:

I’m sure there are even more!

5. bulldog says:

Annie get your gun… in this case Julie get your gun…

6. I googled how to get rid of rabbits so you will not have to shoot them. Don’t know if this will help but good luck anyway–

Cute as they may be, rabbits are nothing but a pest in your vegetable garden. They especially like peas and beans, but they’ll eat other vegetables and plants as well. Here are some ways to keep rabbits out of your garden.

Build a 2-foot (61-centimeter) high fence around your garden out of chicken wire. Extend it 3-feet (91-centimeters) high if there are jackrabbits in your area. Bury the bottom few inches (at least 5 centimeters) of fencing under the ground so rabbits can’t burrow underneath. Make sure the mesh openings are no more than 1-inch (2.5-centimeters) wide so rabbits can’t squeeze through .
    Install an electric fence.
    Protect individual trees and plants with a cylinder of mesh placed at least 2 inches (5 centimeters) away from the trees and plants. Tree guards, either commercial or homemade from jute bags or aluminum foil, can be used instead of mesh.
    Repel the rabbits with aromas they dislike. These include dried blood and the urine or feces of any of their natural predators. You can buy dried blood and fox urine at garden supply stores. Fox blood can be sprinkled on cotton balls tied to your garden fence. You must reapply it after rain .
    Sprinkle vinegar, liquid chili powder or hot pepper flakes around your garden. You can also place vinegar-soaked corncobs around the garden. Re-soak the corncobs every two weeks and after rain.
    Spread human hair around the garden. In addition to deterring rabbits, the hair will break down into good fertilizer. Simply ask a hair salon for a bag of cut hair .
    Plant clover or plantain weeds near your garden, as rabbits will prefer these to your vegetables .

Some gardeners use mothballs or moth flakes to deter rabbits. However, these aren’t safe to use around vegetables or if you have children around.

7. niasunset says:

Oh dear, Good Luck!

8. I was amazed to learn as a child that some bonehead from north america brought a few rabbits to Australia in the 1700s or 1800s. They’re not native to your parts so they have no natural enemies and they multiply like…well rabbits!

9. I love the walking sticks!! I have been over run by bunnies and Jack has killed the babies, my daughter cried but the mother bunny is still out there, she has outsmarted Jack all summer. I have a gun license but I wouldn’t trust myself with a rifle. I wonder if an electric fence around your foundation is the answer? Good luck, I know that you will figure it out. 🙂

10. Well I can’t even imagine someone coming to my door for my guns….licensed or not! Good for you for getting your license. I love to shoot…..but not critters….unless they are hurting my critters. That’s another story! Good luck, Ms. “Annie” 🙂

11. Well, good luck with those rabbits! I sometimes wish I had a gun to get rid of the squirrels that raid my garden. 😦

12. I think I would have to hire a rabbit expert and turn my back. Then again, live trapping and sending to the outback might be a plan. Good luck!

13. Judy says:

Oh, Julie – I love hearing about your life and this sounds pretty adrenaline-provoking. Somehow I feel a lot of puns coming on. Ready? The “key” to this is that you’re all “fired” up. Oh, “shoot.” I think all these guns are “triggering” emotions. I better not give you more ammunition. Those bunny’s are a “hare’s” breath from being blown away.

14. janeslog says:

Get some humane traps like the ones on this website. It is a UK site but they are bound to sell them in Australia.

My cat keeps bringing in small voles and mice and I ended up buying a humane mouse trap which works great. The animal walks into the trap and the door closes after them. You check it in the morning and release the animal.

15. Terry says:

I have moles taking over our yard and you have rabbits!!!!

16. janechese says:

Julie, make sure you aim away from the house and the vehicles. And don’t tell us where you hide the keys so no bad people will get wind of that.

Good shooting. We had a rabbit once and i borrowed an air gun and plugged it. I don’t know whether I killed it but it didn’t come back.

18. Debbie says:

I have a rabbit problem, too, but I believe my cat is taking care of the problem. One thing good about cats is that they don’t reproduce as abundantly as rabbits, especially the male cat I have. Haha! 😉 Another problem I have are the abundant deer around here. They like my hosta bed and the tropical flowers, and I purchase an organic product called Repel All at the local farm/ranch store. The smell is horrible, but it keeps the animals away until the next rain. I like the natural suggestions, but I’ve been known to use a gun on some things, too. 🙂

19. Lynda says:

Oooo… keys… I love old skeleton keys! Do you know what the old keys open? 😉

Julie, what a lot of bother for an old gun that was rotten anyway. As for rabbits, I think that burying wire around your foundation would be an excellent alternative to guns and poison in the garden. I know that if you secure it to the house, and then bury it about two feet out, that they will not be able to get under it. Soon they will be frustrated with their efforts. This works around chicken pens to keep out foxes and coyotes etc. too. Of course, digging two feet out all around the house would be a chore I wouldn’t want to face. Especially if you have hard clay like we do! 😛

20. So if Anthony never actually used the guns, who shot the rabbits before?

21. Tim would love to own a gun but has never bothered to try and get a firearms licence or do anything about it, not a problem for me since even though I like guns I can live without one

22. Trisha says:

Oh my. I could not bring myself to shoot a rabbit. I don’t envy you that task one little bit.

Julie, your post got me thinking about where I put stuff (and some meaningless shit too), and what manner of difficulty Steph will have when I am gone. As I look around my office I realize I am pretty damn organized, just need some labels and it’s good to go. At least I don’t have to shoot rabbits. I’m afraid if I had to they would die of old age. Take care, be safe, remind me not to venture into yours sights when your carrying. LOL LOL — Bill

24. melissakoski says:

Ah I’ve missed your stories! I just went on a weekend long hunt for a few divorce documents and came across 100 unmatched socks. Way to go getting seemingly impossible things done.

25. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

Oh Julie, so much happening!! 🙂

I didn’t know you have those gun cabinet laws in America. We have them in Australia too.

My gosh – the keys!! The sticks!!

Love seeing into your life! 🙂

26. Finn Holding says:

If you’re struggling with the camera best warn the neighbours before you start plinking away at the bunnies 🙂

On the plus side barbecued rabbit tastes good!