An abundance of blue wrens!

on January 8, 2012

I wish I could say I took this photo but, no, instead I took it from a free photo-image site on the internet. The blue wrens around here don’t stay still enough!

They are everywhere at the moment – many, many more than we’ve ever seen before, due to the presence (I assume) of our other birds, and an abundance of bird seed sprinklings here and there around the house block.

Like many other bird breeds, blue wren males are much more beautiful (human pov) than their female counterparts who, despite blue streaks, are mostly grey in colour.

Husband has always loved the blue wrens and today, when I brought him home for the afternoon, he noticed how many were here and turned to me and said, his joy skewed, “This is MY farm.”

I know that and, since taking Husband back to his too-narrow bed, the nurses, and a lukewarm meal, I haven’t seen a single blue wren.

I will recharge my camera and try again tomorrow.

16 responses to “An abundance of blue wrens!

WoW! Such showoffs! Ours here are of the Carolina variety and they are varying shades of brown. Even the males. I am glad your Sweetie got to see them all during his visit home and also… that he still recognized home. xo
    ~ Lynda

Yeah, Husband wants to be home because the Parkinson’s affects his mobility more than his mind. The lodge where he is staying is only a 2-week arrangement at this point then things are uncertain….

2. daylily2011 says:

What a beautiful bird that I have never seen before because we do not have that species in the US. Lucky you to have such a gorgeous bird! We do have a Bluebird in the Northeastern US that I love to spot in my yard but the blue pales in comparison to your blue wren. –Daylily

3. Julie, this is breath-taking. I’ve never seen a blue wren, but still love the little ones we have where I live. This makes me want to move down-under. So many incredible species of birds!

Thank you for your comments on my blog and, of course, you may repost or do whatever you want with my post “Something I Loathe Doing.” I would be so grateful!

Victoria

4. Northern Narratives says:

Amazing beautiful bird.

5. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    A very beautiful bird, and birds are hard to get a photo of, most are very quick indeed. 🙂

They are supposed to be in abundance in the Botanic Gardens near me (where I take so many photos), but I haven’t seen a single one. Please send some over my way, Julie – I think they look really lovely and I would like to take some photos of them myself. (big grin).

We have house wrens and Carolina wrens, and I love them, but your blue wrens are gorgeous!

8. Dominic Wild says:

We feed them cheese and when we arrive after a month or so, they greet us and beg for the cheese. One should not feed native birds but as were are away for many weeks it is OK.

One problem: Where are the females? Last year we had lots of females, this year only one female and three blue wrens have appeared plus a few splendid wrens. Sad!