Tragi-comic

on February 17, 2012

When something is funny but not funny, I think it falls into the category of slapstick, or black, comedy. Like this poor little pigeon outside the hospital, in amongst all the rubbish of urban, but having a ball!

Yesterday, when I left the hospital to come home to the farm, Son was still pretty ‘out of it’ and unable to move or eat. My mother took over staying with him and rang me later to say that he was like Lazarus in the afternoon and the physiotherapists and pain team were able to wind the bed up so he was nearly sitting up. He gobbled his lunch and didn’t vomit so all was going very well.

Late this morning, however, I found out that in the middle of the night he’d hallucinated. Here is a paraphrase of what Son told me on the phone:

“Oh Mum, I thought I was in a disco, so I got up and pulled all of my tubes out and went to the toilet, then I was doing this shaking dance move, then they rescued me but I didn’t get the pain button back for three hours so I wanted to die and what if I’ve ruined the operation?”

According to the nurses, all is well despite the incident but hell! I am now WAITING for the doctor who was called in to ring me – argh.

A friend rang yesterday afternoon, before Son’s midnight adventure, and I said, “I can’t believe I have a husband in a nursing home on my left and a son in hospital on my right, and they are both neurologically challenged and 200 kilometres apart!”

She said, “Are you okay?” and I said, “Yeah, I feel like I’m in one of those weird comedies!” and she said, “That’s a good way of looking at it.”

I mean crying gets really boring after awhile, so I’ve discovered bellylaughing; it’s much better for the soul – hehe!

20 responses to “Tragi-comic

1. I am so amazed at your courage and coping skills although its easier looking in. I now what its like living the neuro- waiting game. At least your son wanted to dance!

My prayers are so full of hope and wishes for your son. For his mom and dad. For his family.. The words don’t come out right but please know that with all sincerity I am so grateful to have found your blog. You humble me.

Blessings~

2. Reblogged this on Lady Barefoot Baroness and commented:
    Please visit this blog of the most incredible family I have come in contact with in some time.
    The strength ad courage it takes to master any kind of coping skills like this is pure love. Pure simple love.
    Many of you do not know that I nearly lost my own daughter two yrs ago, Being in ICU fo 5 days just about did me in. My complete wonder and amazement that this mother blogs and shares their story is nothing short of the most impressive generosity I’ve had the distinct pleasure of coming across.
    I encourage you to lend her a happy hello- a bit of kind support.

I can so imagine how dreadful those 5 days were for you, when your daughter was in ICU. Is she okay now?

• She is doing very well. God sent angels to sit on each of her shoulders and watched over her when I could not. Just as God is doing for your beloved son.
        She is back to work, having a complete and full life now after a year of recovery. We were very blessed. There is that something deeply that touched me when I read your blog the first time. I just love that you are blogging this time. It will be really important for your son later in his recovery. This tough time is going to pass, before you know he will be in physical therapy and doing all the things he has been hoping to do.
        I cannot say it enough, your incredible courage is a great lesson for us all to take something away from.
        Have a great weekend, hope that you are all doing well. My wish is that you find a special kindness in the day.

Glad to hear about your daughter and thanks so much for your encouragement re my son.

3. Dear JM,

I am offering you this Liebster Award because you seem to be the embodiment of all its meanings.
    You can find more information about it on my blog. http://tonij.wordpress.com/2011/12/

I have not done this before so please forgive me if it is awkwardly done.Please do not feel obligated to follow any of the “so called rules” I do believe you have a full enough plate that if there are award police you will get a free pass. If not, send them directly to me!

I do hope this award lifts you today, and that you will put the award badge on your blog for all to see.

The Meaning; Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest,dearest, beloved, lovely, kindly, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.

Goodness, gracious! Obviously you don’t know my dark side – hehe! Thank you very much.

• We all have dark sides JM. I may even be able to relate to ours. lol..

You most certainly do deserve this award and many more. I would bestow them all upon you but my fear is that you will overwhelmed with comments and love being sent to you and your beloved men. I know how much work can go into trying to keep up when that happens.
        I have not been to your blog yet this morning and hope and pray all is well. I’ll be checking up on you all in mere moments.
        Take care my superwoman!

You over-flatter me!

4. cravencreativity says:

I found your blog through Barefoot Baroness’s re-blog of it and I am so thankful that she brought it to my attention. Your strength and courage and ability to still find humor is SO inspiring. I will be keeping you, your husband and your son in my thoughts and prayers…By the way, I also love all of your posts about the beautiful animals in your life, they are all so cute 🙂
    Hugs,
    Karen

I also admire your courage.

Hope Son is able to eat properly soon (& keep it down). At least that’s one ‘normal’ function restored.

Every time I’ve been in hospital for surgery, I am always surprised to find how much one looks forward to meal times. Even morning tea becomes a break in the routine.

These days I eat at all weird times of the day & night (being single).

6. Tilly Bud says:

Laughter is a wonderful coping mechanism (so long as it doesn’t tip over into hysteria 🙂 )

7. bluebee says:

Hope your son is getting stronger by the day, Julie, and will soon be joining you in those belly laughs 🙂