My mother

on April 28, 2012

My mother is only a year older than Husband which is, I guess, a little weird and sometimes quite funny. She herself has been battling some health issues lately and yet her strength, resiliance, generosity and support is breath-taking. This poem is for her:

When I was a baby, she scalded my face

With fire-kissed love

When I was a little girl, she beat me

At Scrabble

And Monopoly

When I was a big girl, she sliced into me

And removed the gremlins one by one

When I was a teenager, she terrified me

With her unexpected games of hide and seek

Then she lost my fatherโ€ฆ.

She lost my father

But she found him for me again

When I was 20, she chased me to Europe and back

With her proud, protective angel wings

Then she broke my heart

Losing her breast

The pillow of my infancy

When I was 30, she destroyed everything I believed

About my ugliness

When I was 40, she broke into my house

Of dog-eared cards

And reshuffled me a new deck

She wrecked my basement

And built me a balcony

When I was 50, she put poison into my chalice

Turning blood-sorrow into silvery wine

She turned my stomach

Into twisting, twirling hilarity

She grabbed me in a headlock so fierce

So loving

So hot

That my breath wavered in awe

Of her strength

My anchorage

My sister

My friend

My daughter

My motherโ€ฆ.

My mother

My

Mother

I wish I could be as good to her as she has been to me….

87 responses to “My mother

1. Randy Roberts says:

aw jeez…

2. Tilly Bud says:

I don’t understand all the references but there’s no doubting your strong feelings ๐Ÿ™‚

My dad died a little over 30 years ago and a few years later she had to have a mastectomy and chemo and all that. Now she is struggling with hearing problems and, because she is so wonderfully gregarious, this is such a blow but I better not say anymore or she will murder me because she reads this blog!

3. Ok. This post made me cry…what a beautiful testiment to a mother’s love…sniff, sniff.

She is the absolute greatest – yes, we have our differences here and there – nothing’s perfect and it would be silly to say that – but she is the most amazing woman, my heroine!

4. Pat Bean says:

Wow! Your strong words blew me away. Very strong writing. I love it.

5. She must have been very special.

6. Rhonda says:

Julie…may I repost this on my Boys To Men Blog? It is so beautiful and such a testament to not only your mother as a ‘mother’ but as a woman. And to you also…you make me want to call my mom.
    Rhonda

7. Rhonda says:

Reblogged this on Boys To Men: A Woman's POV and commented:
    This inspired poem by Julie Goyder is such a testament to her mother and to the woman her mother is…I just had to repost it here. The visual makes you hold your breath until you read the next line, then the next. I not only see my own Mother in Julie’s words…I feel her. Thank you jmgoyder and thank your Mother!

Wow this brought such feelings to my heart. My wife has had breast cancer as well as two other types, and some how this gave me feelings I have suppressed for a long time. Your Mother must be a wonderful woman and I send her my respect.

9. terry1954 says:

very emotional, i absolutely loved this. thank u

10. Sounds like you love your mother the way I loved mine. Lovely poem.

Such a juxtaposition of thoughts and words! Wow! What a great Mom! Good weekend to ya!

12. recoverythrumylens says:

Wow, what wonderful, thoughtful tribute…such a lucky daughter…

13. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    A lovely poem about your Mum, she does sound like a very special Lady indeed. ๐Ÿ˜€

14. You are so fortunate, and so is your mother!

Would a mother who had not been treated in kind, be so kind? Likely not. Beautiful words, Julie.
    ~ Lynda

16. dodsy says:

julie that was awesome ๐Ÿ™‚
    just like your mum is!! xx
    Thankyou

Wow Julie… this is just phenomenal. What a beautiful tribute to your Mom. I love the way you utilized such contrast and imagery in this, and how you took the reader through the chronological events of your life and relationship with Mom. Thanks for sharing with us.

18. janechese says:

WOW Fantastic work!

19. hotlyspiced says:

What a lovely tribute to your mother and she sounds like she’s an awesome person and incredible mother. Sorry to hear about her health issues xx

20. fiztrainer says:

OMG … so glad my friend and fellow blogger Nia reposted from your blog so I could come here and find this gem of a place. I love your stories and this poem … so emotionally charged and creatively written. Really, really beautiful. ๐Ÿ˜€ I look forward to following your posts.

21. bluebee says:

A passionate and heartfelt poem, Julie – there are many joyful and sad stories here

22. How about you are as good to your son as she was/is to you? That’s all a mom ever wants from her children anyway. Give your kid the love she taught you to give and share.

23. This is so lovely – what a special person she must be.

I have two daughters, who fill me with purpose and love. I watch them as women, and I’m just thrilled that they ARE, that they’ve become. It’s humbling and awesome to be a parent. You are as good to her as she’s been to you. You recognize and appreciate her, and you’re you. That’s enough.

25. cuhome says:

This is a terrifically moving poem! What a tribute to your mom!!

26. Fergiemoto says:

Very creative and a nice tribute to a lovely mother. The words take you in a different, perhaps expected, direction at first, then the next phrase turns it around into something lovely and sentimental.

27. Beth says:

Hi Juli, What a touching piece of writing. I can remember so many of those things. I saw them from the distance of being her neice and on the other side of the country. But when I visited when I was 16 I can remember watching how you and you Mum interacted. You and I were out once and you bought a magazine to take home to your Mum because she liked reading magazines as she had missed out on them when she had been in PNG. I was amazed at your thoughtfulness. She would never let me call her Auntie Meg because it made her feel old so she has always been Meggie.

28. P&B says:

A lovely poem. Your mom should be proud how her daughter has turned out. You mentioned she reads your blog…here a message from a stranger..”Bravo to both of you!”

29. Aimee says:

This is a wonderful poem. I hope that your mother knows how much she means to you.

30. Paws To Talk says:

Wonderful poem. Mothers are very important.
    Bella and DiDi

31. As I read that poem, the word that came to mind was Fierce! As in an intense love fully committed.

Your mother sounds like an awesome and fierce woman who raised an awesome and fierce woman who is raising an awesome and fierce son!

Wishing your mother a speedy recovery. Sending positive energy and healing thoughts her way!

32. wow…. powerful as can be. I hope that your mom can see this. You have done her proud girl!

33. adinparadise says:

What a wonderful tribute to your dear
    Mother ๐Ÿ˜

34. belocchio says:

It was almost impossible to continue reading this poem, but I couldn’t stop. Like a train wreck you cant avert your eyes. So much said, so much more unsaid. An amazing daughter. Virginia