Why wait?

on August 30, 2012

I have been so excited about my idea for a Christmas present for Ming who has become so musical over the last few years and is now doing his Certificate 4 in music.

So anyway, he started volunteering at a local school called Djidi djidi Aboriginal school a few weeks ago. Coincidentally, he had become a great fan of Xavier Rudd’s music.

So my brilliant idea was to get Ming a didgeridoo for Christmas. I got it today and have hidden it so I can give it to him later this afternoon. Why wait!

Sneak peak:

Oh I love surprises! Ming knows he is getting a present but he has no idea what it is so I said if he helps me feed the birds and put them away, he will then have to sit at our picnic table and close his eyes until I say ‘okay’!

Excitement makes me a bit incoherent – ha!

58 responses to “Why wait?

1. There is more pleasure in giving, isn’t there!

2. artfulanxiety says:

I’m sure he will love it. Musicians always love receiving instruments as gifts. Can he do the circular breathing? I tried to do it in Year 2 with no success. I love hiding presents in plain sight!

3. Great gift – I get excited about giving things I know the other person will love too. Have fun!

4. I love the sound these instruments make – it’s so haunting.

5. Louise G. says:

Make sure you take video so you can play it for us!!!!

What a lovely gift.

6. shoreacres says:

I’ve always loved giving presents. The worst part of Christmas for me as a kid was having to wait to tell my mom and dad what I’d gotten for them. That same feeling applies to just about every gift – I have to watch myself that I don’t spoil the surprise myself!

7. Cannot wait to hear about his response, Surprises are the best!

8. You sneaky elf you… I rather like that you did this. Perfect!
    Gorgeous instrument! what kind of wood, do you know?

Tell Ming about a website called soundcloud, okay? soundcloud..com.

I totally agree … why wait – we live today. A beautiful piece of instrument. And it’s something that belongs to your country’s roots and inheritances too. Wonderful gift, Julie !!! Sure he will be pleased with it. If not … feed him to the birds.

Christmas can never come too early.

Circular breathing: You breath in through your nose at the same time as blowing out through your mouth. Pipers use it when practising on the practice chanter.

Love it.. why wait… a loving present like this.. I wish I was there to see his face…

12. rvcallope says:

this is beautiful !!!

Well, I’m a little ignorant of aboriginal instruments. What’s it akin to? It’s a woodwind, I think. A horn? Does it have a mouthpiece? Show a picture of him playing it, please. I hope he’s happy and excited about his gift. That’s cool that he’s volunteering at the school. He will have a whole different educational experience. Ok, so what’s a Certificate 4?

I guess it comes into the horn/pipe category and yes there is a mouthpiece. I will get a better photo soon. Oh the Cert. 4 is like the final one in music which will possibly get him university entrance (he finished school last year).

14. Er, wait!!! Doesn’t your son read your blog??? It’s beautiful by the way.

Oh my – I think I opened your posts backwards – and bet the one I opened first was after he received his surprise!! How wonderful this idea was Julie — bet he is thrilled thrilled thrilled! you are the best Mom ever! Do agree – why wait?! xo

16. terry1954 says:

you sound just like me. i will buy a christmas gift or birthday or whatever, and i get so excited about giving it to the person, i do it early!!!! i bet he will love this!

17. janechese says:

I tried this once. Spit a lot and made farting sounds.Think i will listen to others play, enjoy the sounds. It is popular world- wide now.

18. What fun! I wonder what the birds will think of its dulcet tones…

19. niasunset says:

I am same as you dear Julie, I can’t wait too πŸ™‚ This instrument seems so beautiful, so beautiful but I am sure it will be the most beautiful one when he plays πŸ™‚ You are such a beautiful and amazing mother. Blessing and Happiness to you all, Thanks and Love, nia

20. niasunset says:

By the way another THANK YOU for introducing me with him πŸ™‚ I am listening to him now, he is great.

21. Ming just emailed me, telling me that he has seen this blog post. He told me not to tell you, claiming that we guys have to stick together. Oh, I hate it when people do that to me. Oh, well. I think he’s right so I’m not going to tell you……………

22. Fergiemoto says:

Wow, how coool is that! What a great gift.

23. Beautiful. Now you will have to share a picture of him playing it.

Hope he loved it. It looks awesome. Bet it has a unique sound.