Greener pastures

on September 9, 2012

Yesterday I made a snap decision and gave the emus away to neighbours who run a farmstay up in the hills north of here – not very far away. The Emerys will now be able to run around more freely instead of being penned in and taken for ‘walks’. I am going to miss them so much!

45 responses to “Greener pastures

1. So will I!!!!!! Miss them.

Oh Julie — I am glad you can visit – and you can still take photos and post them 🙂 xxoo

3. but look how you sacrifice for their good…love your heart and you can always visit. 🙂

4. Andrea Kelly says:

It’s always hard to part with a pet, but it sounds like they will be happy there, and like you might get to visit! 🙂

Wise choice, Julie.
    I’m sure they will love their freedom and it will give you one less thing to do.

True – so many of my plans were originally to cheer all 3 of us up but now it’s 2 of us here so I guess the emu idea backfired badly – a few times! I am so happy that they are now at a place that is more set up for emus!

Big area to walk around in … good sacrifice… and now you got an excuse to go visit to see them… Good move … now go and visit we don’t want to miss them…

7. terry1954 says:

i was surprised to read this, were they getting to be too much, or what was the reasons for letting them go…

I guess I was a bit of an idiot to not realize how hard it would be – emus are wild and adventurous and, except for the pen we had made for them and the paddock they sometimes shared with the alpacas, they just wanted to run – and I mean RUN! I was terrified that they would run onto the road and cause an accident. My original idea was to free-range them but our block is leased to neighbours and the fences couldn’t keep the Emerys in – I am going to miss them but they are in a better paddock now.

8. Tammy says:

So glad for you that they are placed in a good home and you can visit! What a wonderful solution. And take more pictures! They’ll always be happy to see you, I am sure of it!

9. Ingrid says:

A lovely thing to do for them Julie – they will ove the freedom and you can still visit and less work for you too … a win win!

10. artfulanxiety says:

Me too!

11. though I have not known you for a long time — I know that was an epic decision — you thought of the emus first which seems to be very like you

12. eof737 says:

Perhaps it is a wise choice… You are busy. 😉

13. Very giving Jules. Had to have been hard.
    Lovely that they are so close.

I shall miss exciting tales of emu hunts.

15. Louise G. says:

Wow Julie — that was brave and loving of you and good for the emus! I’m so glad you can go visit them and know they’re doing well.

Hugs!

16. Northern Narratives says:

They will miss you but be happy for the freedom to run.

17. You’re a good person to let them go to a place with more freedom. Hope you have the chance to visit often!

18. janechese says:

I am sure that you will miss them but the extra room will be welcome.

Wonderful of you – they will always remember you and I hope you bring your camera when you visit them.

20. Yes the emus will be happier with having more room to run around but yes I am sure you will miss them…………

21. gus57 says:

Sad. All our children grow up eventually and leave home.

22. Rhonda says:

Hey Jules…hugs again for the emus. Love them and glad you’ll visit. How did today go? It’s 8pm here, does that mean it’s 8am there? Damn, I need to keep this straight! Talk to me woman…
    xo

Julie, I understand the “why” but I still feel sad. We will hold you to visiting now and again and posting pictures of your visits too! 😉

Did I get that right? You have sprained your ankle and now you are having nerve pains? AWFUL! Please rest that foot and do whatever Dr. says to get better in a hurry!
    xo and a prayer,
    Lynda

24. shoreacres says:

I suspect your other commenters are exactly right. The emus aren’t the only ones who are going to feel a little less “penned in”. It sounds like a wise decision – not easy, but wise.

It’s hard to let go of something you love. They were a lot of work, though, and now you and they will have more freedom. A tough choice, but hope you can hobble over to visit them. Be nice to your ankle and yourself.

26. Sounds like a wise decision – even though they will be missed. Glad they will have more room to roam.

27. That was a surprise! But I think you did the right thing. Now you can catch up on blogs and comments 😉