Wanderlust

on November 1, 2012

The peafowl have taken to wandering off the property during the days (I think it’s something to do with their mating season adventurousness!) So I am searching for a peacock horn to call them back. Most of them have returned this evening for their bread treat and wheat, and to roost in the wattle trees, but some are still off having adventures.

Maybe I will have to buy a trumpet!

Any suggestions?

32 responses to “Wanderlust

1. No idea how to do it but do try to get them home at night 😉

2. oldsunbird says:

I know nothing about fowl farms and I have no answers but I’m fascinated by your adventures and love each new post. The horn sounds good. Trumpet-hah! I love your sense of humor.

3. shoreacres says:

I’m just wondering – since hunters use duck calls to bring in prey and cities use recordings of birds of prey to scare away other birds – why not use a recording of the peafowl’s mating call to bring everyone back home? You might get every pea hen in a hundred miles, but that could be its own kind of fun!

4. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

No suggestions as alas, I’ve never had such a problem!!

I can’t imagine they’d still be out & not back for dinner though… If the horn isn’t too expensive, I’d buy it (please take a photo!). I wonder if they are inclined to wander far??

I love the sound of your home, actually…

Wait they all seem to have a habit of returning… sometimes with more in tow…

I used to clang a cowbell for the kids to come home for supper. They could hear it at all of the neighbors’ houses where they played. Unfortunately, so could any other kids they were with, and they’d all show up to eat.

7. Northern Narratives says:

I hope you post a photo of the horn. This is so interesting.

We definitely need a picture of you and the peacock horn. It will add to the gaiety of nations.

9. adinparadise says:

Can’t help you there, but the trumpet sounds like a great idea. 🙂

10. I have a music degree and no idea, Julie…

11. TBM says:

A peacock horn…I have to see this.

When the roll is called may all the peafowls be home. Good luck with that horn. 🙂

13. Trisha says:

I want to see a picture of the peacock horn too!

14. Tammy says:

Can you do it? I can call my peafowl by emulating their call. You just have to really think about the sound, and the practice. You can do it! Come on! I’ve called mine home before – it’s quite something to have them respond to you. You end up wondering what you just said to them…:-)

15. Record the female’s response call and play it over a loudspeaker?

16. I have never heard of a peacock horn………………

17. eof737 says:

I didn’t know you could call them with a horn… how modern is that! 🙂

18. Fergiemoto says:

They seem to want some privacy! 🙂
    Sorry, I don’t have any suggestions.

Julie, didn’t know that there is something called peacock horn .. what a set of drums. *smile