NaNoWriMo

on November 4, 2012

For those of you who don’t know what this is, it’s an international writing competition that encourages writers to complete a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of November. I signed up but – alas – I find myself unable to keep up. On day 1 I wrote 500 words, on days 2 & 3 100 words and today nothing. I think there is too much other stuff happening and I can’t concentrate on this task at the moment. Sorry if I have let anyone down; my muse seems to have taken the week off!

51 responses to “NaNoWriMo

1. your muse took off with mine, last I heard they went to Hawaii

2. Gardengirl says:

Of course you haven’t let anyone down. It’s a personal challenge, emphasis on personal. You obviously have more important things on your mind, and that’s ok.

3. neve16 says:

Tell me about it! Day 1 I wrote over 600 words then I went to Albany for 3 days and wrote nothing and can’t find any inspiration. Plus it is so hard to just write and not edit (even when I think it’s crap!) Oh well next yr i suppose.

4. dogdaz says:

That you even thought to run the race is impressive. In something like this, it is about the ‘doing,’ not the ‘done.’ The beauty of blog friends, just like physical friends, is… if they are friends, they will understand. 🙂

Oh well – a little overambitiousness doesn’t hurt I guess – thanks DD!

• dogdaz says:

My cousin ran her first marathon at 50. She is now 67 and just got invited to represent women of her age at an international 1/2 marathon. I stay humble to the fact that personal best is not about winning, but about being in the race at all. Hope your summer is coming into bloom.

Your cousin sounds amazing. Re summer – ha – it is pouring with rain.

5. It is a huge commitment!

6. cecilia says:

Don’t feel bad AT ALL.. you have tele to watch and pizza to eat and son to chat to and hubby to manage and chat to and all those bad birds (bet they are chatterers) and on top of all that how about you just give yourself a Mama treat once a day.. PLUS you need to keep your own intelligent brain active in your own field.. How about you just BUY yourself a new book and read it for a month! Tho it would have to be a really big one.. c

7. oldsunbird says:

Everyone understands. Not alien to any of us. Sometimes the muse just won’t cooperate.

8. Ingrid Rickersey says:

Me too … I find I haven’t the time or the motivation for such a commitment this month after all … will try again next year. Mind you, I think you could count alot of the blogging words and turn that into a novel or novella 🙂

9. No reason to feel bad. My muse left me for five years, it seems to be reluctantly coming back. I may have written 1000 words yesterday, but I didn’t say they were good. My headitor is going crazy trying to edit. I’ll be back trying to punch out another 1500 words today, but my head aches and I’ve got things to do about the house. There’s always something to keep you from writing. Stuff like life.

You don’t need to un-register… I don’t believe they have a Police force that comes beating on your door demanding their 50 000 words… If they do Julie you contact me and I will come and see to them with my trusty old pick handle….
    Don’t give up just yet… in the middle of the month you might just get a bee under the bonnet… 8 – 10 000 words a day is easy if the words are flowing… don’t throw in the towel just yet… wait and see… I hear the muse is coming home….

11. adinparadise says:

That’s why I would never commit myself to something like that. Some days my mind is totally blank. Just ask hubby. 😀

12. terry1954 says:

i am trying it also, but i have too much going on, with trying to take care of Al, his PD, the house, and the holidays arriving, plus finishing my book, I will be surprised if i make it to the final count on this one

13. It’s great to force yourself to write with that kind of a deadline hanging over you, but what happens to quality when there is that kind of pressure? I’m not sure I agree that it’s a good idea, except that it gets people writing. Then maybe more time could be taken on many rewrites, but to complete a novella in that short a time most likely won’t produce best work from anyone except maybe a genius.

14. eof737 says:

At least you are several hundreds of words ahead of me… Not to worry, we’ll catch up. My name is ElizOF on Nanowrimo, lets connect. Best wishes! 🙂
    Thank you for checking in during the Hurricane… your kind wishes were appreciated!

15. This story’s just a slow burner, Julie….hope the wordage takes off soon.

16. Sometimes you have to be in the mood to write and if you are not then the words will just not come……………

17. I feel your pain. At least you tried. I didn’t even bother signing up.

Julie, at least you gave it a shot …. I write about 600 words every day when replaying on all posts … and so do you. I think that is more important.

I settle for a blog a day. More interesting than a hurriedly written novel for no particular purpose.

20. sbcallahan says:

well i just want you to know that i am sooo disappointed and am not sure life is worth living now that you have let me down! sorry, now that i have that out of my system, personally i thought you had lost your mind but wanted to be supportive. you already know that you can write a book don’t you?

you really need to stop putting yourself through this! just relax, enjoy life and as others have said, your son, husband and birds:) no one is judging here, so give yourself a break.

21. I hear you, that’s a big commitment. I really wanted to participate this year, but I postponed it until at least next year. When the time is right, you’ll know.

Nano Writing seems too intimidating for me. I write better when I don’t have a word count. Write whatever way works for you.

23. artsifrtsy says:

You should not feel bad in the least!

24. hotlyspiced says:

That really is a very difficult challenge. It means having to write so many words in one day and then keep up the pace. You would have to go into this competition with a very clear idea of what it is you want to write otherwise it would be so stressful xx

I don’t know how anyone gets through that pressure with anything worth reading. Don’t beat yourself up Julie. If the muse shows up have at it. If not then don’t. 🙂

26. Susan says:

Why start something new when this blog has a gem of a story just waiting for a world wide audience?

27. Don’t worry about it. Do it next year. It will still be there.