Love story 118 – Sunbaking

on November 18, 2012

Anthony’s skin cancer operation has suddenly been fast-tracked to tomorrow (Monday) – yikes, I only got the phonecall Friday. Okay, for those who don’t know this, Anthony has a very nasty skin cancer right next to his left eye and it is painful, so it has to be cut out. This has to be done in hospital so he needs to be there by 9am and I still haven’t decided whether to get the wheelchair taxi and meet him there or take him myself. His mobility at this time of the morning isn’t good.

Over the years, Anthony has had multiple skin cancers either burned off (with that nitrogen spray stuff) or surgically removed. Many of them have been squamous cell carcinomas, not melanomas, which is good. He was born into an era where hats were worn haphazardly and sunscreen probably hadn’t been invented and, when I met him, he was in the habit of sunbaking after lunch to get a tan. Inna (his mother) would often ask me where he was and I would tell her he was lying out near the fig trees and she would tut-tut and say that was fine as long as I wasn’t sunbaking with him – ha! At the time, that would have been a dream come true for me but I am glad I didn’t as he has now had over 50 skin cancers burned off and several requiring surgical removal.

So tomorrow will be an adventure of sorts because of how his PD, and now PDD, is likely to affect the ordeal. The surgeon is not going to do the procedure with a general anaesthetic (too risky) so Ants will be given a local anaesthetic and sedation. The operation will take about an hour or so. I have to admit that I am absolutely dreading this because of what happened last time.

Last time, the skin cancer was on top of his skull so the pain he suffered afterwards was excruciating and his medications for PD were temporarily lost and he missed a dose or two: result, he went totally loopy and had to be on 24/7 watch. It was a nightmare just after the operation so I raced home to get his spare meds., raced back and sneaked him some and he was okayish for awhile but (this was a few years ago when he was more mobile) he kept trying to wander out of the hospital – argh!

Tomorrow I will have to arm myself with secret drugs – ha – and a double dose of patience with both Ants and the system. It is only going to be a day procedure this time and I’m not sure if this is a good idea or a bad idea – maybe he should stay one night in the hospital? I wish I knew. I have decided to take my box of paperwork in as I will be there for hours.

This is probably my overactive imagination but sometimes I can feel Inna’s smile of approval, almost as if she is kind of watching over her son, and me, and Ming. This is a good feeling.

40 responses to “Love story 118 – Sunbaking

1. You know you’re doing your best. That’s why you have the feeling Inna is approving.She would approve if she were alive. Good luck tomorrow.

2. terry1954 says:

good luck tomorrow Julie. Is it too risky for him to be put under, the same as Al, his heart? I hope all goes well, and Ants doesn’t suffer from too much pain. Keep me informed please

3. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ants. I hope it all just goes tickety boo with no complications. (((hugs)))

4. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

Inna probably is watching… 🙂

When I played tennis as a teen I did so in the hot sun for hours… and played in the street in the sun for hours… and walked etc. Never a hat, never sunscreen. Only time, will tell. Education on these matters has been a lifesaver for many, I am sure.

Good luck with the operation.

5. When I did therapy dog work at a Alzheimer home, we were asked only to come in the mornings as everyone was more lucid in the mornings. The nurse also told me that if it was raining not to come as the residents were more agitated when it rained. I hope this helps. Sending prayers your way.

6. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Sending you positive energy. Take care!

7. Good luck with the procedure. I’m sure the doctors will figure out the best post-op care for him depending on how he does. I didn’t put sunscreen on when I was a kid either, or a teenager, or a young adult. No hat, no sunglasses either. And I’m not that old. I wouldn’t dare taking my kids out without sun protection, and living in Southern CA makes it a priority.

I hope all goes well… yes like Ant in my young days.. shirts and hats were not an issue, now when I visit to have my skin cancer burnt off, they all say wear a hat (which I do) but then I ask where they were 40 years ago when someone should have been telling me that everyday…

9. Good Luck, Julie. You and Anthony will be in my thoughts.

10. Good luck for tomorrow. I hope everything goes as well as it can.

11. dogdaz says:

Breathe – good luck and warm thoughts.

12. hope Inna stays with you and Ming and gets you through this – sometimes when we dread something it does not turn out as bad as we thought–hope that is the case here

Skin cancer is really serious stuff – and it can escalate very rapid – so happy that they are keeping a close on Ant …. and monitoring – wish Ant all luck in the world – my thoughts will be with you tomorrow.

14. eof737 says:

Sending healing light and love and best wishes! 😦

15. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I hope the surgery is without incident. You deserve a break! 🙂

16. Andrea Kelly says:

I’ll be thinking of you, and sending my best wishes! Hope all goes well for you and that it’s not as rough as last time – though I’m glad you have an idea of how to prepare this time, just in case. xoxo

When I met John’s family, his mother hated me and his dad said that I was exactly what my husband needed, and that he didn’t have to worry about him anymore. I wasn’t sure how to take either. But Inna KNEW you were perfect for Anthony. And she was right!

Loved the thought of Inna watching over you all. Sometimes there is such comfort in the intangible. 🙂

19. tersiaburger says:

Sorry Julie, I missed this post. Of course you are aware of the effect of hospitalization of PD/dementia patients. You are well prepared. Good luck with the after math!

Julie, I truly hope the procedure went well, and with minimual side impacts. Please take care, Bill