A chick called 9

on December 9, 2012

I got home from seeing Ants and went out to feed, and commune with, the birds and whammo! Some tiny scurrying thing caught my eye – a chick! All by itself! I couldn’t believe my eyes. I sat at my picnic table watching it for awhile to see whose chick it was but, despite a lot of interest from the gang and the chooks and peafowl and the guinneas, not one of them came to the party, so I had to catch it (sounds easy but it took about 9 hours!)

So here he/she is, in Ming’s hands. We have no idea what kind of chick this is, but it might be a peachick!

And its name?

9!

IMG_1732

IMG_1733

We have now cosied 9 into a box with some straw, water and crumbles but 9 is already addicted to cuddles.

I wonder what 9 is!

70 responses to “A chick called 9

1. What a fun mystery to have on your hands!

Nine …. brilliant name – and on your ninth day … it so beautiful. I’m sure NINE is a girl. Anyhow the name suit both sexes.

3. She’s your first step today to choose number 9 like you said in your recent post…One small step for ‘mankind’…Diane

Well Julie, it came during your day of 9’s, so I am not the least bit surprised by its’ name. I am also not the least bit surprised that it has found cuddling to be something safe and warm. What else would a baby want. Take care, have a great day. — Bill

5. What a gorgeous little soul, Julie!

Awww – so precious ~ and such a lovely way to discover this creature. The first shot is amazing!
    xo

7. Makes me think of Star Trek and Seven of Nine, she was a girl. Nine is so very sweet!

8. You have 9 chicks and this one is named 9? That’s awesome! Do you remember that star trek series with the borg lady named 7 of 9?

Keep watching maybe 9 turns into 12…

10. Northern Narratives says:

So cute. It will be fun to watch the chick grow 🙂

11. cecilia says:

Oh my goodness, I thought Peahens were good mothers? How exciting to be able to watch this wee baby grow and find our what kind of bird it is. This is going to be so much fun. A bit like the ugly duckling. Perfect name of course!! c

12. How cute is that chick! Awesome…

13. Good for you for catching the little thing. Amazing no one “owned” the chick? I think it will follow you around now.

14. How exciting! Welcome, 9. xx

15. Oh, I want her! She is adorable!

Awww, 9’s so cute! My parents raised chickens. Got a cardboard box with holes in the top every spring with new chicks and put the incubator up on a card table in our kitchen. Looking back–not sure how hygienic that was, but looked forward to it every year. Dad let me choose one for a pet if I fed & watered the chickens every morning. Mine got preferential treatment.

17. Anonymous says:

It has a bit of a peacock look about its beak and eyes I think.

18. That’s going to be so fun to watch. Hope you update us when you figure out what 9 is. I love how you use human personal pronouns for him/her. My computer always wants to correct me for that. It doesn’t understand us, I guess.

19. Anonymous says:

I think it has the look of a peacock about the beak and eyes.

20. I think it has the look of a peacock about its beak and eyes. 🙂

21. I think it has the look of a peacock about its eyes and beak.

(sorry if I have posted this already, but I am having trouble logging in 😦 )

22. artsifrtsy says:

Nine’s beak sure looks like a peacock

Aww, how cute it that! Whatever it turns out to be, it is a gift of love. 🙂

24. niasunset says:

so lovely so lovely 🙂

It definitely has a beak like the peafowl chicks in my photo I posted a few days ago, Julie. Check out that photo of mine again to compare.

26. meg lane says:

YOU’RE A GRANDMA!!!!!
    M. Lane

27. shoreacres says:

What an absolutely delightful mystery. It’s a cute little thing, and if it’s imprinted on you now, you’ll probably end up sending it to grad school before it’s all over. I really am curious what it is – I hope it does well and the rest of the crew doesn’t decide they don’t want it around and give it trouble.

28. Jo Woolf says:

How cute!! Looks like a peafowl chick to me – we used to have them when I was younger. What a gorgeous little guy!

29. What a wonderful mystery!

30. Susan says:

Oh what a lovely present! Odd numbers have rewarded you for the leap of faith! I am glad!

I don’t have a clue, but I’ll cast my vote with all the peacock lovers. Cute little thing!