Control crying

on December 12, 2012

IMG_1742

Gutsy-9, the baby peacock, is now about 72 hours old. He has begun to cry, and I mean CRY, if he is separated from me. His crying is like the beautiful sound of birds chirping and tweeting – multiplied by a million, which makes it not so beautiful.

If I put him on the floor he looks at me as if to say how could you abandon me like this?

Control crying methods will be helpful tonight.

47 responses to “Control crying

1. neve16 says:

Don’t be mean. Put a mini nappy on and he can sleep beside you 😉

2. That’s really odd. When I brought my duckling she would do something similar, but would also be quite happy to wander around alone… as long as one of the family was still in her eye line.

I think the thing that did the trick was to put her in a room by herself and just let her get used to that. Alternatively we would give her something to do that a duck would normally do, so we would put her in a small bucket of water and she would be occupied, or put some grass seeds and things on the floor for her to rummage through.

I think you need to encourage normal bird behaviour, if that helps at all.

I was going to say put it in the bed with you… shame your Mommy now…

4. TBM says:

Poor Gutsy-9. give him a kiss from me

5. this is very much outside my expertise (which includes and is limited to reading and writing) so I am not much help – good luck with the little one

6. bluebee says:

Aww, he’s a little creature separated too early from his momma

7. What are control crying methods?

It used to be this method of leaving the baby to cry for a bit – not sure if it is still used now – I should have put in a link. We never had to do it with Ming because he just slept – but this Gutsy pea in another story – on my shoulder now!

8. They should change puppy-face to peachick-face.
    I hope he feels better.
    Lots of love to the birdie. x

9. Bird babies, cat babies, people babies–they are all babies and want to know we still love them.

That’s so sweet, and so sad, both at the same time. Poor little guy….and poor you.

What a sweet little baby… I remember those “crying” nights ..but never with a chick! Hope you had good sleep!! xo

12. robincoyle says:

Sweetest thing ever! I didn’t know peachicks bonded with humans . . .

13. Jo Woolf says:

A cute little tyrant by the sound of it! 🙂

Sounds like what puppies do. Perhaps she missed her nurturing. I have no solution but to wait it out and lose a lot of sleep in the meantime. 😉 You are sooooo kind!

Julie, be careful .. he is not going to be this cute forever – you don’t want a full grown turkey crying outside you door every night. *laughter

16. Reminds me of having a new puppy in the house. Good luck. You’ll get through it.

17. dou dou says:

Aww poor boo. Pick him up! You an put a shoebox in the bed and he can sleep there 🙂

Aww, the wee soul just wants his new mommy. Have you ever watched SuperNanny Julie? I bet some of her control-crying tactics would work. Does he have a naughty chair? LOL just kidding. 🙂 Hope he grows out of it soon.

19. diannegray says:

Aww – he’s very cute!

20. terry1954 says:

awwwwwwww the poor little thing……….he is lonely!! Pick him up and cuddle and give him a tiny kiss

21. What about a cute ‘stuffed animal’ and they say for puppies to put a clock with the sound of ticking ….that’s about the best I can offer..Sorry…Diane

22. How about getting a brother or sister so # 9 won’t be lonely when you are not around.

Put a mirror in his box at night. I am assuming you have a heat lamp on him to keep him warm? Then it should provide enough light for him to see himself in it. BTW, that cuteness of riding on your shoulder all day is not going to be very darling when he is full grown and wants to perch there! 😉
    ~Lynda

24. URL says:

… [Trackback]…

[…] Read More here: jmgoyder.com/2012/12/12/control-crying/ […]…

25. I don’t understand why he seemed abandoned. So he hatched and was disowned?