Peachick problems

on February 5, 2013

pea 178
I am a bit worried about Gutsy9’s feet. I accidentally injured one of his toes when I first rescued him (i.e. he ran at my desk chair as I was rolling it back, so one of the little wheels mashed one of his toes. Okay, so that is all healed now but, because he is inside the back veranda for most of the time (a back veranda that has now become peachick poop paradise), he is not getting the normal dirt/grass traction for his feet to develop. I take him outside every afternoon so that he can interact with the others but they still peck at him and he runs to me.

Once he is big enough to fly up into the trees at night, I think the other peas will accept him. I hope so.

In the meantime, I will take him to the vet to get his feet checked. I will do this tomorrow.

39 responses to “Peachick problems

1. bulldog says:

Is it a big problem ?? when you take him out does he not run about enough that it makes you worry about his feet… they do look alright in the photo…

2. You have such a caring heart!

Poor little thing – but he will be fine, he can survive if he lost a toe too. .. I’m a bit worried about him not being accepted by the others – hopefully your right – when he grown up a bit more. Still very cute.

Hmmm. That right foot does look like it has one toe with a swollen tip. Hopefully, the vet will be able to reassure you (& him).

I guess we sometimes forget that birds need to have the normal surroundings and social behaviour to copy (in their development).

Julie, foot injuries really suck, they take the wind right out of your wings. LOL LOL, All kidding aside it does appear that Gutsy right middle big toe is swollen a bit, making getting around a touch more difficult. I am sure he will recovery completely, especially with Doc Julie watching out for him. Take care, Bill

6. His picture reminds me a little of Jack in that his expression seems a little abashed, as if he is saying “don’t stare at my toe, please” I wish the other birds wouldn’t tease him so, the poor little guy. He is lucky that you’re his mommy.:)

I can see you having to take a fully grown bird around with you as time goes by.

8. You have such a ‘soft’ heart ….hope he’s okay and finally accepted by the others….Diane

9. Hope it clears up. Birds will pick at anything that’s different.

10. artsifrtsy says:

Poor fella – I hope he finds his way into the ‘in’ crowd soon.

oh Julie ~ I hope his feet are ok. The thing you bring up … re: traction and development – really interesting. I would ask the vet about that too… maybe he needs the equivalent of physical therapy a couple times a week — walking in dirt? ~ Sending Love ..you are an angel…even to the baby peacock called Gutsy9 xo

12. Another reminder of both the fragility and robustness of life! Thinking of you and sending love xx

I wonder now if he had a leg deformity in the first place and that’s why his ma abandoned him.

• Could be. We have had several cases at the farm of abandoned animals – calves, birds, kitten – and in every case the mother had left it because of a health problem or physical abnormality.

A couple of these we reared to adulthood and they coped okay, and lost a couple too. And one, a calf with deformed growth plates in his leg we had put down because he was never going to be able to stand unassisted – broke my heart. 😦

13. Hope the big birds welcome him into their group soon. The middle toe on the right does look a bit suspect.

14. Trisha says:

Poor little dude. I hope the others quit picking on him. And I hope his feet are alright. Office chairs are dangerous! I ran over part of my kitty’s tail once and ripped a big chunk of hair out. I felt awful.

15. ytaba36 says:

Kids, eh? There’s always something to worry about. 🙂

16. meagan mac says:

I want Gutsy9’s foot to be okay!!!

17. I hope his feet are fine, how soon before he learns to fly……….

18. fgassette says:

Praying everything will work out well for the little guy.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!