Dusk

on November 10, 2014

It is difficult to take photographs at dusk, especially if you have an inferior camera and/or an amateur photographer, and/or if that same amateur photographer is a bit rusty. Nevertheless, and despite the poor quality of the shots, this particular amateur photographer thoroughly enjoyed getting herself back out there last night.

For some reason, many of the peafowl like to congregate on the roof of the wash-house at dusk, sometimes just to look up, which they are very good at.

IMG_4118

On the other hand, this same roof has also become the stage for some ferocious scuffles between the King peacocks. This photo was taken during a short truce because I didn’t click the camera in time to capture the battle. It’s okay, they didn’t hurt each other; one just flew away. In the background you can see the top of a palm tree pretending to be a peacock.

IMG_4128

And here is Gutsy9 in meditative mode.

IMG_4137

I handed in my application today for the ‘lifestyle assistant’ job at the nursing home and am excited at the possibility but trying not to get my hopes up. It’s part-time which is perfect for me and the usual shift seems to be from 3-6pm which is also perfect. I told Anthony but lately he has been so sleepy and confused that he didn’t really understand until I said, “Well, the money might be good” at which his eyes lit up – ha! Money is something he is constantly worried about, having been a hard-working, frugal farmer for all of those decades. And, yes, it would be good to be earning a wage again and doing something I have always wanted to do – interact, relax with, comfort, and share a joke with people who have dementia. All those years ago, when I was a nurse, there was never any allotted time for this and the notion of lifestyle assistance was unheard of. How wonderful that this nursing home employs people in this way.

If I get the job I won’t be home until after dusk some days. This is probably a good thing as I think I am better at morning photos!

41 responses to “Dusk

1. Do hope you are successful. It would be perfect.

2. Vicki says:

I’ll keep my fingers crossed and think positive thoughts for your job application, Julie.
    (this is the same as offering prayers….. in my book).
    Vicki
    xo

3. Yvonne says:

That first photo is an excellent silhouette!

4. ksbeth says:

best of luck to you, and if you don’t get it, there is something really wrong with the world )

5. Good luck with the job!

6. Good luck Julie, I hope you get it. For you because you would excel at it. For the residents there, I hope you get it. Because you would excel.

7. susanpoozan says:

I wish you all the luck in the world, they would be daft if they don’t take you.

8. Your photos are great.. With Gutsy in the foreground and the gray clouds he does seem pensive .. almost lonely and you know that I think the job fits your life so well right now… Diane

Gutsy, though integrated into the peacock world, still waits for me outside the back door every morning and, if I open the door, she just walks in – brilliant bird!

9. I will keep my fingers crossed! I like these pictures, they are full of mystery and moody ambiance. Gutsy-9 is such a love. πŸ˜€ Hugs Jules

10. Terry says:

I m glad you are back to using your camera. It helps the mind escape from the now moments

11. Rhonda says:

All good thoughts headed your way…that job sounds made for you! Good luck and love the photo story btw. Seems good to see you back in the feathers. Love you xo

12. Trisha says:

After all his early life challenges, it’s great to see Gutsy sitting on top of the wash house like he’s the king of the world. πŸ™‚ I wish you luck on the job – they would all be lucky to have you, both patients and staff!

13. The only time I’ve seen peacocks in person was in the Dominican Republic. πŸ™‚

14. I pray you get the job Julie! And I’m keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on wood! ❀
    Diana xo
    p.s. maybe a bit of salt across my shoulder too.

15. Your photography is light-years better than mine… and you load them all to wordpress! I struggle with the technology. I have done it a few times but it took forever so now I just look for ones from the internet.

16. The photos are pretty good just saying, heres hoping you get the job

Good luck with the application.

18. My Heartsong says:

Pretty sky and nice to see Gutsy9, too.

19. thank you so much for the pics and the update. where you will have the time and energy only you know but i can understand the desire to be productive and the money is always nice.

do take care of you though dear friend! being a care-taker is taxing on the body, mind and soul.

sending you love and big hugs