Tapper’s eggs

on March 29, 2012

After several days of Tapper’s elusive behaviour, I thought she must have gone off with one of the wild ducks and was, perhaps, sitting on eggs somewhere in one of the paddocks. I searched everywhere to no avail and then, all of a sudden, she would turn up and have a swim in the pond, then disappear again. It was all becoming too mysterious and I was beginning to feel sad that we’d lost yet another bird….

Then, late this afternoon, after putting the gang away into their yard, I decided to go in with them, defy Godfrey (that took a bit of doing!) and sit in there on a tree stump while I waited for the hose to fill their yard pond. All of the gang, except Godfrey, came and nuzzled me for bread, which I always have in my pocket, and I had my camera ready just in case any of them did anything extraordinary.

Once the bread was gone, they quickly lost interest in me and went to the pond, so I was about to get up off the tree stump to go inside and cook dinner when I had a quick look inside the little chookhouse in that yard … and that’s what the picture is of – Tapper on her eggs!

29 responses to “Tapper’s eggs

1. What a great thing to find! Can’t remember if they’re likely to hatch or if she’s waiting for a mate.

2. avian101 says:

Oh yes! 🙂

Good grief! What is it about waterfowl and their eggs? They always lay a huge pile. and then they can’t cover them all. Seems like they would take a hint and lay less. LOL! Do you think that they are viable? Say, maybe she and one of the wild ducks had a fling? ~ Lynda

I really have no idea what is going to happen, but of course I am hoping, for Tapper’s sake, that at least a couple are viable. I have decided not to interfere and see what happens. She has probably been in there for ages and I just didn’t realize – silly me!

4. We had ducks at one time and I know how sneaky they are about hiding their eggs. If they think you’ve found the nest and try to take the eggs they’ll find another hiding place and start over. I used to take a couple of eggs and mark the ones I left behind with an X so the next day I’d know which were the older ones. This worked for a few days and then they caught on and moved again. We continually played hide and seek.
    I hope you get some little Tappers.

A proud mother, as she should be. Hooray for her….and you.

6. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    Very sneaky of her to find such a good little hiding place. I hope she does have some babies, that would be fantastic. 😀

7. That’s a lot of eggs! I can’t wait to see pictures of the cute little babies. 🙂

8. bluebee says:

Aha! Mystery solved 🙂

9. shoreacres says:

She’s a smart one – found a perfect place. Protected, out of the way, hard to find…

I saw the first hatch of muscovy ducklings along the channel two weeks ago, but I haven’t seen them since. There are plenty of predators around, from gar to alligators, so it’s rough for them here. On the other hand, if a goodly number didn’t become brunch, we’d be up to our hips in ducks, so it works out.

I hope you get ducklings AND no predators! This will be fun to watch.

10. OMG! I hope you will have little Tappers waddling around!

11. P&B says:

Do you know when approximately they will hatch? Hardly wait to see the kids.

12. […] Tapper’s eggs (jmgoyder.com) Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. Filed Under: Landscape Tagged With: chicago, Lincoln Park, Petals, The North Pond « 5 picks for stripes […]

13. I wonder if she laid a golden egg for you. lol