Kindness

on November 21, 2012

The word ‘kindness’ seems a little innocuous until you are a recipient.

Jen is someone who worked in a different area of the university from me and, over the years, she knew me best as the lecturer with the self-inflicted computer problems, and a fellow animal lover. She had never met Anthony but she knew about him from my blog. And she knew he suffered from Parkinson’s related temperature problems that affected his feet (either too cold or too hot constantly).

Well not only did Jen invite me over for coffee one day, she also made Anthony a lupin bag AND she visited Ants with me to give him this gift. I was amazed by her generosity.

Here is a paste of Jen’s description of the lupin bag:

Lupin bags:

Can be used as a heat pack or a cold pack.

Heat pack – heat in the microwave (turn while heating when using a larger bag)

Cold pack – leave in the freezer (I don’t get frostbite using a lupin bag as a cold pack straight from the freezer.)

Ways I have successfully used the heated lupin bag:

• ·        Seated – sit with heated lupin bag under my feet or on my lap – keeps the whole body warm
  • ·        Seated at the computer with heated bag on my neck – back of the office chair helps keep the bag in place
  • ·        Bed – pre-warm bed or take to bed for extra warm toes/tummy/back//under knees etc
  • ·        Pain relief – sore backs, shoulders etc and applied to the area for any rectal pain from haemorrhoids etc.

Ways I have successfully used the cold lupin bag:

• ·        On tummy or lap on very hot days
  • ·        At night in bed – assists with hot flushes
  • ·        My son sits at the computer with a cold lupin bag on his head as he says it assists in keep him cool.
  • ·        On injuries that need cold therapy

The lupin bag is in Anthony’s bedside cupboard for use when he gets the cold/hot feet syndrome (which is fairly constant), so this post is to thank Jen for her gift, her wisdom and her lupin-knowledge.

Kindness – you can’t beat it!

36 responses to “Kindness

Fantastic, there is some .. amazing and caring people out there, A great generous hear and soul. Didn’t know what I lupin bag was .. google helped me.
    I have an electric one – had it since my 20th – so good to relief menstrual pains – something that is the past now. I also have one like your when I get a soar neck – need to keep the cold then.

2. Jen sounds awesome Julie. Friends are there for friends, just as you have been there for yours. xo
    Diana

3. cecilia says:

What a kind lady and OH MY GOODNESS! I want one for my wee back when i am writing, a hot one in my cold study, i think they make them with barley or something? I shall look out for one over here, my sewing skills are about as good as my tech skills.. have a lovely day julie.. c

Kindness not only warms the feet, but warms the heart too. You deserve some. Jen sounds like a treasure.

5. Northern Narratives says:

I also didn’t know what is a “lupin”. What a thoughtful gift from your friend.

Oh how wonderful and what a good share for others to learn from… tell her thanks from me.. I will be buying one, seen them for sale but wasn’t sure how to use it… Now get this picture in your head… when the haemorrhoids give me trouble again I’m going to stick it in my pants… it’ll look like I’ve had a huge accident… now I think of it I’ll have to buy two… the head thing to keep cool sounds good to… but there’s no way we are going from bottom to top in this case…
    It is so nice to have helpful people around you when you don’t have the time to think about everything… Kudos to her… I think I like her…

7. terry1954 says:

sounds like our hot water bags here, plus I have a bag that holds rice in it. you warm it up in the microwave for about thirty seconds, and it helps release tension and muscles. so glad you have found so many uses, plus have given me ideas also!!

8. What a kind and thoughtful friend.
    The lupin bag sounds marvellous. Does she ship them to other countries?? 🙂

9. janechese says:

My microwave is gone. I wonder if low heat in a regular oven would work? I have a warmer with grain in it that is like a scarf with cuffs at each end for my hands-what a god send. :).

10. What a sweet gesture. I have never heard of a lupin bag, but that is a great invention!

11. adinparadise says:

How lovely it always is to be the recipient of a random act of kindness. 🙂

12. Yes, it is true that we do not really know what kindness is until we have received it when at a low ebb in our lives. Then it touches our hearts and we take it with us forever.
    Have a great day 🙂

13. tersiaburger says:

Kindness attracts kindness!

14. robincoyle says:

What is in this magic bag?

15. janeslog says:

People can be so kind.

16. I have one filled with corn kernels, but I call it the bean bag. Works wonderfully well.

17. My mum has a lupin bag for my dad as he has problems with his feet since he went through chemo……….they are wonderful…………….so such a thoughtful gift from Jen

18. They are marvellous things. I find a hot bag helps when I have a migraine.

Julie, Kindness comes in many forms, you found some in the lupin bag that Jen gave to Ants. Take care, have a wonderful day. — Bill

20. sbcallahan says:

it takes so little doesn’t it, to mean so much? i am so glad you wrote about this. sometimes people want to do something but aren’t sure what. this is just one idea. praise for your friend, for she is truly a friend.

21. My Homepage says:

… [Trackback]…

[…] There you will find 50381 more Infos: jmgoyder.com/2012/11/21/kindness/ […]…

22. eof737 says: