Living with a convicted criminal

on November 21, 2012

This morning Ming and I were in court to face his charges. Are you shocked?

Well here is what happened: on the 29th of September, 2012, “the accused” was caught driving a ute without carrying his learner’s permit.

You see, I was sick at the time with that rotten kidney infection so I sent Ming and his friend up to the local shop (2kms away) to get some food. The friend has a driver’s licence but Ming drove because, despite the fact that he doesn’t yet have his driver’s licence, he can drive very well (he just keeps failing the tests on teensy little things – here you have to get 100%).

Unfortunately the police were spot checking people in our little country town (which is highly unusual) so he was unlucky.

So today, we fronted up to court and sat with a fascinating array of other criminals to await the verdict. Ming had dressed up as if he were going to a wedding so he looked a bit odd amongst the surly crowd. His case was preceded by a guy accused of driving recklessly twice in one night under the influence and without a licence. He didn’t plead guilty so his case was adjourned. He answered the judge’s questions in a defeated but strangely belligerent monotone. I whispered to Ming, “say yes sir or no sir and don’t smile” just as his name was called. He had to walk up and take the stand and his charges were read out. The judge concluded by saying, “Your reasons, according to this statement are that you were just going down the road to get something to eat. Is this correct?” Ming said yes and, when he was asked if he were pleading guilty or not guilty, he said, “Guilty.” He was then asked to sit down while the judge conferred with the two other judges.

Then Ming was asked to stand up again and elaborate on the circumstances of that day but he just said, “I did the wrong thing and I will never do it again.” I was delighted with him despite the snickering amusement of those sitting around me in the ‘audience’. The judge then said that instead of the usual $300 fine, he would let Ming off with a $100 fine. Phew.

We then had to sit at the front while the paperwork was processed so we saw the next person, a young girl, called up. She was charged with driving under the influence of drugs and also pleaded guilty. But we didn’t get to hear the rest as we were given the paperwork and dismissed.

I know this sounds strange but I was very proud of my little criminal today.

38 responses to “Living with a convicted criminal

1. We live for those moments! Bravo!

2. Helen says:

A good decision by the judge I think 🙂 What an experience for you both. One you’ll be able to laugh later.

3. diannegray says:

What a sweetheart he is! We live and learn and the judges must have looked at him and thought ‘why the hell did those lousy cops bother to charge him?’ 😉

Oh that does not make him a criminal… he should have given Ants story and you being sick and he might of got off with a warning… still 100 is a lot less than 300…

5. Not strange at all – he behaved like a man.

6. TBM says:

When you mess up, it’s best to say you did. I’m glad it worked out and you should be proud of Ming. No one is perfect.

7. what a wonderful young man you have brought up

8. Such a honest young man!

9. Louise G. says:

It takes courage and deep character to acknowledge our mistakes and be accountable. You have raised a brilliant son.

Julie, Ming did good ! ! ! ! And hopefully this will be the only time he has to stand before the Judge. Take care and have a great day. — Bill

Well done, Ming ….. we all do mistakes and sometimes we are being caught – there where no evil in his “crime” so I think the judges did the right thing – he only wanted to help you out.
    An experiences that he will not forget and he will learn from it. It’s a scary thing going to court and I have only been a witness, but scary enough. I’m so happy that you feel proud over your son. He is a gem even as convicted and he did very well for himself.

12. terry1954 says:

I had to laugh as I read it, because Ming was probably scared inside, but listened to his mum and did and acted the right way. it paid off! he got a lighter fine! always pays to listen to mum and to follow the rules of the roads………………good work Ming, and don’t drive again until you are legal!!!!!!

13. Showing some respect to figures in authority obviously works! Also, taking the blame, and not trying to say it was someone else’s fault – “Mum made me go to the shops so it’s her fault” – is good. Too many young people today think that they are not responsible for their own actions.

14. He was doing the wrong thing for the right reason, so that’s not too bad.

15. Naughty Ming. At least he got away without too much penance.

16. tersiaburger says:

You are proud of Ming with good reason! You and Anthony raised a good kid.

17. robincoyle says:

It is not the mistakes you make . . . it is how you recover from them. In this case, he confronted the truth of what he did. You should be proud.

18. I understand why you are proud of him, he did wrong he made a mistake he admitted to it which was the right thing to do………….

19. yellowlancer says:

Although you really don’t have time for extra hiccups in your life, I think this one was silver(gold) lined and well worth it 🙂

20. I just hope Ming can finally pass his driving exam to get his driver’s license. They are a lot stricter in France compared to the US when it comes to the driving test too. When you see 16-year olds and the way they drive, you wonder how they ever passed…

As a convicted criminal and father of a convicted criminal and son of a convicted criminal I know just how easy it is when young to do something you might regret later. (Small fines all round.)

22. sbcallahan says:

what an excellent life lesson! my gandmother said the job of a parent is to make us ready for the adult world. to her if she shaped me to be the best human bean i could be then she had succeeded. you are directing ming in how to be a magnificent human bean and he will thank you many times over his life. in the end when he stands alone before his last judge (i believe himself) he will say at times he did the wrong thing and takes responsibility, he will know he is “not guilty” of anything but trying to be a good human bean:)

23. eof737 says:

Phew! Glad it worked out…

😀 I love this!
    ~Lynda

25. […] special thank you to Julie of Wings and Things for her post that inspired me […]

I’d be proud of Ming too! Glad he got off easy.