December

on November 30, 2012

In just a few hours, December will be arriving and I have to admit I am a little nervous. Last time December visited, it outstayed its welcome and ruined Christmas and made us all wish it would go away. This time, I’ve decided to welcome December by asking it to be more supportive and I was quite blunt in this request this morning. Thankfully, December wasn’t at all offended and had no idea how badly it behaved last year and has even apologized! Nevertheless I am on my guard because December has a reputation for being unreliable, and rather arrogant about its ownership of Christmas. And, during a further discussion with December tonight, I’m almost certain I detected a little smirk. I hope not because I really want us to be friends or, at the very least, to establish a working relationship. I have been trying to contact December for a couple of hours now but there is no answer so I guess I will have to wait until it arrives to reiterate that if it becomes overbearing again I will have to take action and possibly kick it back to November using Ming’s old football shoes and Anthony’s walking stick.

But perhaps it is my own attitude to December that is the problem? Maybe I should just embrace December like a long lost friend? Yes!

58 responses to “December

1. shoreacres says:

Be patient. December’s over here, getting ready for her appearance by noshing on fruitcake and brandied eggnog. She promises to be dressed and ready to go on time, and she promises she’ll behave!

2. adinparadise says:

Hope December is kind to you, Julie. 🙂

3. I shall try and follow your lead…have had my own issues with December over the years!

4. Yes, embrace it and greet it for me from the other side of the dateline!

5. cobbies69 says:

December december we always remember..and love it..:)

6. December has been unkind to me too- both my parents died in December–but that does not stop me from loving Christmaas

7. cecilia says:

I told my hairdresser that I was flying back to the states on Christmas Day. But you will miss Christmas she said, preparing to be scandalised. Yes, I nodded and smiled at her reflection in the mirror. Ah, she said, as it all became clear.. So you will! she said wishing she were me… c

Winter can be fickle or fierce. Hope you have a good one:)

9. It started snowing here a couple of days ago. My first reaction was that “I’m not going to leave my house until it all melts away, hrrr!” But at some point I’ll most likely find myself doing some snowmans after all. I also have a tricky relationship with the winter and especially with the christmas, ’cause other people seem so stressed during the christmas time. It’s like nobody ever cherish the idea of having good time with your loved ones. No, the children get angry because they didn’t get the right presents and the moms are freaking out ’cause they have too much to do..

I hope we’ll both survive!!
    -Mari

10. terry1954 says:

the only thing I enjoy about December is family time at Christmas. I hate the ton of snow, hate the overspending of gifts, and the month is long, but January is even longer. Once January is over, I get a little uplift about February being short and March brings Spring. See how I play head games with myself to get through the winter months??? LOL

May December be kind to you Julie ~ and me too. My birthday month actually (12/31)… but can become brutally cold here… by you warm as can be I understand! Sending Hugs ~ Robyn

12. Oh dear! That is exactly how I feel about December! The only thing I like about December is the Tamale Festival in Indio, CA! This weekend! Then I will kick it back to November!

I hope December is a good one… if it gets out of hand tell it you going to spread the word and we’ll all get on it’s case…

14. janechese says:

Like the dandelion story. After writing the department of agriculture many times to get advice on how to get rid of them and none of the methods worked, the ministry wrote back to the landowner and advised:”Learn to love them.” 😉

15. sbcallahan says:

so many of us with a love/hate relationship with december/christmas! i for one could skip it this year.

16. janeslog says:

Count your blessings about December. At least it is nice and warm in Australia in December so you have the sunshine to lift your mood.

Just now in Scotland is is -5 degrees C and very cold. Where I live the pavements are not gritted and I have to leave the house earlier in the mornings so I can take my time walking to the bus stop because of the black ice.

It gets light in the mornings after 08.00 and gets dark around 16.00. Dark, wet and damp is what I face in December while you have sunshine and hot temperatures. Count your blessings.

Would you rather be in Australia or Scotland in December? I know what I would prefer. Want to swap your December for mine?

I am definitely counting my blessings now – sounds ghastly!

• janeslog says:

Yes it is. Snow is forecast for Monday so no doubt the transport will grind to a halt and hardly anyone will turn up for work.

At least I can walk the 4 miles there if I have to in the snow (and get no thanks for it). This year I will do what everyone else does and stay at home!

17. 😀 Loved this, Julia. Hope fervently that December is on his best behaviour for you.

Yes! Yes! Yes!
    (December is no different to any other month for me).

19. I’m not sure what is about this time of year, but I am always sad…maybe it’s winter, less daylight hours, or the high expectations that come with Christmas…

20. meg lane says:

Your December blog makes me realize that the over riding feeling I have for you is RESPECT. I admire and love you, learn from you and enjoy you, thrive on your company and writings, depend on you, delight in you, like you and look for you, and every day, month and year respect you more and more. M.Lane

21. mrs fringe says:

The holiday season is always stressful, and tricky, too. I always think I’m looking forward to it, and then before I can blink, I remember I’m ripping the tree apart New Years Day. That’s right, I’m a rebel, I don’t even wait for Epiphany. 😉

Pour some egg nog, slap a red ribbon on your door, and give yourself a break for Christmas this year. ❤

22. I have to be in the mood to hunker down and acquiesce to December. Thankfully I’m usually ready for it. I have trouble with March. By then I’m expecting beautiful spring days, and often we get late snows. Really makes me mad!

December is not my favorite month. The trees are bare, it’s too cold, the wind blows, and I am never in a Christmas mood. It has been that way for me for a long time… But this year I went out and strung Christmas lights on my leafless little persimmon tree and plugged it in after the sun went down. It’s looking a bit more cheery, but I will have to really work on it to get into the spirit of it all.
    I am glad you have decided to embrace it and make peace. I need to follow your lead. ~Lynda

Embracing is good. I’m having to do a lot of that lately. Enjoy the month, my friend. You won’t get it back. At this moment, I’m pouring myself a little Borden’s eggnog. Love the stuff.