Disclaimer about potplants

on November 30, 2012

In my earlier post today I mentioned ‘potplants’. This is an Australianism for a potted plant, not marijuana.

Thanks to those commenters who alerted to me to this possible misunderstanding.

I can’t stop laughing!

50 responses to “Disclaimer about potplants

1. shoreacres says:

No, no – here in Texas we talk about pot plants, too. Really fancy people will call them “potted plants”, but in the country? Pot plants it is!

2. I haven’t read the post yet, but I’m looking forward to it now with this new twist!

3. terry1954 says:

hahahaha sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

4. jan norman says:

That is hysterical. You must have some young readers.

5. How funny! I was wondering what you were talking about at first and then I figured it out.

6. Julie, I was just thinking…if you’re stressed…well pot plants…yanno….anyway just stock up on junk food. 😉

7. neve16 says:

Gives a whole new meaning to ‘my pot plants’ 😉 haha

Julie, now I have to go read about the “potted” plants. Just so I am caught up. Take care, have a great day. — Bill

9. sbcallahan says:

darn i was hoping you smoking a little doobie when you come up with those captions for the birds!

I loved the pot plants… that’s what we say as well… don’t americanise everything… let them think that maybe Julie is quietly producing a crop … I love it..

11. TBM says:

That’s pretty funny. I’ve only heard the term potted plants, but pot plants makes sense. I made a mistake the other day. My dog jumped up on this man and got muddy prints on his jeans. I said, “Oh my dog made a mess of your pants” forgetting that in the UK pants refers to underwear. He blushed and left.

12. It never occurred to me that you were talking about anything other than plants which were growing in pots! 🙂 I think it’s the normal term here in the UK. Sometimes they might be called potted plants or, if they were growing in pots in the house we might call them houseplants, But pot plants would cover it!

13. tersiaburger says:

My smile of the day…thank you!

14. yellowlancer says:

Sounds like a perfect twist/plot for a short story 🙂

15. shoreacres is right – Cap’n Firepants (a native Texan) calls them pot plants, too. But, I like the other interpretation much better.

16. Helen says:

So funny. It didn’t occur to me either. If they were real Pot plants you wouldn’t have been having to worry about the expense of the water. May be that’s a thought hmm…