December 1st

on December 1, 2012

I was determined to do something fun this December so have decided to begin revisions of a romance novel I wrote a few years ago. I sent it to Harlequin Mills & Boon and the editor was interested but wanted some changes and I never got around to it. It will only appeal to those who are ‘into’ this genre, a genre that is often dismissed by the literati as lowbrow literature. This kind of writing doesn’t come naturally to me, so it was a huge challenge when I wrote it but it is going to be great fun revising on a daily basis. I hope you enjoy! I finished revising the first post this morning and it can be found here:

36 responses to “December 1st

Not exactly my genre… but you go for it… it is a huge portion of the market…

2. janechese says:

even the name is “all that”.

3. janechese says:

Perfect for a romance novel.I used to devour those things when I was younger.

4. sbcallahan says:

my grandmother only had a second grade education and struggled with reading, writing and math. her family had been beyond poor, her mother died when she was 4/5 yrs old. as a result of not being a good reader she had avoided doing any reading. as i got older i helped her with the basic skills and encouraged her to read things she would enjoy. she read “readers digest” and those frivolous romance novels. i always wanted to thank the people that wrote those books, they brought her so much pleasure.

thank you for taking the time to write books that bring so much joy to so many people.

A few year ago I was granted 6 months study leave from the university. This was remarkable at the time because instead of proposing several academic papers, I proposed romance novels. In my proposal, I argued that these novels sell more than any other genre and that there is therefore a hunger for them. I used to be scathing about this genre but I now have an immense respect for those people who provide, as you say, ‘so much pleasure’.

5. Very interesting and I hope you do get the chance to finish it and then published. Keep us posted.

There was a time when I used to read Mills & Boon – mainly the Doctors/Nurses and the small English village type (not the really racy over the top romances talking about ‘lust’ and ‘hot breath’ sort of stuff).

It seems like eons ago. Probably about 30-35 years ago.

I find fiction really hard to read now, can’t focus on the words and speed read anymore – poor attention span too.

My only comment would be that I don’t think you’ve set the scene enough in the introductory sentences. I didn’t know who/what you were talking about. I felt I needed to know who ‘she’ (the nurse) was. Set the scene some more and you’ve got me in – (hope you don’t mind me offering this criticism).

(Big Grin).

I really appreciate your feedback Victoria and you are right! I am going to keep this for future reference because if I change that first bit now I will get totally confused! If I had the money I would employ you as editor! Unfortunately you will have to do it for free – haha! Thank you so much!

7. I’ve had a look at your first revised post and I think you have hit the genre nail on the head! Jutting strong jaws, deep manly voices, quickening pulses … πŸ™‚

8. yellowlancer says:

Do you ever sleep, Julie? You are one very busy lady and huge inspiration! Good on you for giving the novel a second chance. Maybe now is its time πŸ™‚
    And I love the comment by sbcallahan – beautifully put.

Well I had to resign from my job at uni. June 30 so am unemployed for the moment. This novel was already written so I am just copy/pasting/editing as I go – keeping me sane. Ming is at friend’s tonight> Oh yeah and Sandra is amazing isn’t she – thanks for your support YL!

9. Colline says:

Go for it! Keep us updated on your progress.

10. mrs fringe says:

Fantastic, Julie! Keep revising, I have a large spot in my heart for romance. It isn’t lowbrow, it fills a need for many, many women worldwide–which is why the greatest percentage of fiction sold is romance πŸ™‚

ooo – this is exciting news! I may have to print this out— neck is giving me issues last several weeks so computer reading tough… or better yet Julie… can you make audio book for me??? I love those things ~ and would die to hear you read this!!!!! REally πŸ™‚ xo

12. terry1954 says:

i enjoyed what you wrote Julie.

I can’t stand romance novels. Haha. But I am delighted that you are pursuing your goal.

Julie, didn’t you want to do the revisions for Mills and Boon and resubmit? Having a publisher say, yes it’s good but needs some changes is awesome! Posting the revisions online will ruin your chances of publication for this story. Just thinking out loud. πŸ™‚

Yes, I did think about this but feel I need to blog this one first (editing and revising as I go) because I have already left it too long to resubmit. Those editors have probably moved on by now. Alas.

14. Do what you love and write. Who knows, you may make a living at it!

15. Oh! I love all writing, high- or low-brow, so will enjoy this!

16. Gosh I am jealous. How do you fit it all in? Best wishes to you.

17. tersiaburger says:

It is difficult to write in a genre that one is not comfortable with – I take my hat off to you. I don’t have a romantic bone in my body and would fail dismally if I tried. Good luck and well done!