Nag, nag, nag!

on January 6, 2013

Ming just got back from Southbound http://www.southboundfestival.com.au/ a huge musical festival. He went with his two best mates and was away for two nights, so he wasn’t home for his 19th birthday (yesterday).

Did I miss him? No.
Was I lonely? No.
Would I have minded if he’d stayed away a bit longer? No.

Now don’t get me wrong. I adore him and he is a wonderful kid but he is also a NAG!

The first thing he said when he got home: “Why haven’t you cleaned your office out yet?”

Let me explain: my’Γ³ffice’is a tiny room at the back of the house that was once a junk room. Well now it is both an office and a junk room. Nevertheless it is my only totally private space – so private that I lock it when I am out.

Mr NAG wants to help me organize the office but the more he hassles me, the less inclined I am to sort it out. I seem to have some sort of mental block, possibly due to a deep psychological resistance to sorting out the paperwork of my life, or else pure laziness.

Nag, nag, nag!

31 responses to “Nag, nag, nag!

1. Maybe it’s as simple (or complicated) as you don’t know where to begin …?? Diane

I’m in a similar place Julie ~ not sure why I don’t take on my “clean-out/organization” projects with more jest. Maybe send Ming over to assist?? πŸ˜‰ ~ Also I get it with the adoring him but not minding if he stayed out a bit longer…. both kids have been home since pre-Christmas ~ one goes home tomorrow (another state) and the other is off to study abroad in Spain — it’s all good with me πŸ™‚ xxooo Love to you dearest friend — Hang in~

3. Trisha says:

My husband has the same experience with our oldest son! I don’t nag or even mention if I want something done because I’ve learned: the more Don is nagged, the less likely he is to do whatever he’s being nagged about. So, maybe it’s more of a resistance to someone telling you what to do! Then again, who wants to sort out papers? Blech! Not me!

4. terry1954 says:

Sorry, I feel this is your room, your private room. It can look and feel how ever you wish. If you do clean it, it should be just you, not the two of you. then you would be inviting him into your space

5. Bec Butcher says:

I hope Master Ming had a wonderful time ! Is a truly great festival and one of the things I miss about home πŸ™‚
    And I would give my right arm for an office / junk room – all I have is a desk in my bedroom but my partner has promised to build me a studio one day, when we have our own home !

6. my sewing room is a tip and should be sorted out but i diont know why i dont. I go in there and sew ammidst chaos. you are not alone.

7. yellowlancer says:

You need your own space and perhaps letting it stay as it is is your own bit of control when so many things in your life have been taken out of your control!

8. Is he neat freak? Is his room totally organized?

9. I hate getting nagged; it has the worst effect on me. It transforms me into a tete de mule, a mule head. You aren’t lazy Jules, you’ll get to it when you get to it. Ming will need to learn a little about the ill effects of nagging, especially ones parents. Things don’t get done any sooner!

Julie, I love my daughter, she lives an hour away with her own husband and child and she is 33, yet she still finds ways to nag me, but having said that I love her more each day. Your not alone in this cruel world. Take care, Bill

11. I hate paperwork, and I hate being nagged–so I feel for you–and laziness has nothing to do with it. Give him a hug–that will stop him in his tracks (no, I did not mean a tight hug around the neck)

12. If I had an office I wouldn’t want someone else helping me sort it out so you’re not lazy you just want to do it yourself in your own time…………….children can often nag more then an old mother hen

Neither do I respond well to nagging. In fact, I have a rebellious streak (at 56 years old) that rises when I get nagged. The Bible says that it’s better to dwell in the attic of a house than to eat with a nagging woman. However, the Bible doesn’t say anything about a nagging man! So, I think you’re right to lock your private space away for yourself and ignore the nagging young man. Also, you might use an opportunity to inform him about the negative habit of nagging so that he doesn’t carry the trait into marriage and explain what a turn-off it is. It’s awful in women but more horrid in men. I’m still teaching my adult sons about things like that. I guess we never stop being moms, do we?

Julie, tell him if he are not pleased with your office .. he should stay out of there .. he should have seen mine – he would had flipped over.

15. Lynda says:

Don’t know if this will help you, but it helped me. When I cleaned out the far reaches of our house I just pulled EVERYTING OUT and put it into boxes the living room. Then I sorted through it and put it away, gave it away or threw it away. Just think, Julie, when you do this you will
    a) have plenty of room to maneuver,
    b) not feel so overwhelmed because your mess is in containers and you can go through one box at a time at your leisure, AND
    c) if someone says something you can quickly retort, “You nagged me to clean out my room and I am, on my own terms.” πŸ˜‰

16. eof737 says:

Welcome home and Happy Belated Birthday to Ming! πŸ™‚
    “Happy Belated Birthday to you! πŸ™‚
    Λœβ€*Β°β€’.Λœβ€*Β°β€’.Λœβ€*Β°β€’.β˜…β˜….β€’Β°*β€Λœ.β€’Β°*β€Λœ.β€’Β°*β€Λœ
    ΒΈΒΈ.β€’*Β¨*β€’β–‘Hβ–‘Aβ–‘Pβ–‘Pβ–‘Yβ–‘(Β―`’‒.ΒΈ *β™₯β™₯β™₯* ΒΈ.‒’´¯) β–‘Bβ–‘Iβ–‘Rβ–‘ Tβ–‘Hβ–‘Dβ–‘Aβ–‘Yβ–‘ (Β―`’‒.ΒΈ*β™₯β™₯β™₯*ΒΈ.‒’´¯) Hope you enjoyed YOUR special day!
    β•‘β•šβ•¦β•β•¦β•β•¦β•β•¦β•¦β•— β•‘β•šβ•¦β•β•¦β•β•¦β•β•¦β•¦β•— β•‘β•šβ•¦β•¦β•β•£β•šβ•£β•šβ•¦β•β• β•β•¦β•¦β•—
    ║║║╬║╬║╬║║║ ║║║╬║╬║╬║║║ ║╬║║╔╣╔╣║║╬║╬║║║
    β•šβ•©β•©β•©β•£β•”β•£β•”β•©β•—β•‘ β•šβ•©β•©β•©β•£β•”β•£β•”β•©β•—β•‘ β•šβ•β•©β•©β•β•šβ•β•©β•©β•©β•β•©β•©β•©β•—β•‘
    ΒΈ.β€’*Β¨*β€’.β™ͺβ™«β™«β™ͺHappy Birthday .β™ͺβ™«β€’*Β¨*β€’.ΒΈΒΈ β™₯Happy Birthday to youuuuu β™ͺβ™«β€’*Β¨*β€’.ΒΈ.β€’*Β¨*β€’β™«
    Λœβ€*Β°β€’.Λœβ€*Β°β€’.Λœβ€*Β°β€’.β˜…β˜….β€’Β°*β€Λœ.β€’Β°*β€Λœ.β€’Β°*β€Λœ”

πŸ™‚ He cares.

Yeah but I have never nagged him like this!

• elizabeth says:

Julie, from the time my son turned 15 all the way until he turned 27 he snapped at me like I was the worse mother in the world and rarely said, sorry. At the beginning I responded with understanding, but it eventually wore me down. I got tot he place where I just let him vent. (He was obviously not feeling so great). I’m happy to say he is now back to being his true, wonderful, thoughtful, funny self. The growing years are tough. The only folk they feel safe, ‘nagging’ are the ones closest to them. They know we will continue to love them no matter what.

Thanks so much – this is reassuring.