Dreams inside dreams

on February 11, 2013

For the last few weeks I have been having rather dramatic, block-buster-type dreams. Inside the dreams, I am always the hero who knows she is in a dream, but also knows that, in order to escape the dream, she has to either get away from, or else confront, the baddies.

The most recurrent dream is of something preventing Anthony and me from getting married. This barrier is usually a series of verbal and visual ‘stills’ of what really happened (Anthony’s younger brother’s protestations, my bewilderment, and Anthony’s heartbreak). These dreams are becoming so boringly predictable that I am usually able to clamber free.

But last night’s dream was really weird. Inside the dream, I was away at a conference and Ming rang me to say that Anthony’s old girlfriend had dropped in and wanted to stay the night. Then, the next morning, when I got home from the conference, Anthony admitted that he had slept with her.

Okay, so this was all a dream within a dream, but even when I escaped the inside dream, I found myself trying to climb the escalators the wrong way, in an empty airport somewhere in the desert.

I was glad to wake up!

50 responses to “Dreams inside dreams

If you dream about something that is empty, it can be a sign that you are feeling sad or depressed. You feel that your life is empty. But going up on the escalator means that you are moving forward in life and challenging yourself to reach higher goals – and I think that’s what is about to happen with you – great news.

2. lucewriter says:

Sometimes I can glad that I usually no longer remember my dreams–and thanks for reminding me!

3. trauma comes out in all sorts of ways–I think your dreams are reflecting your awake traumas

4. bulldog says:

You call these dreams… they sound like nightmares to me…

5. I know what you mean. I hate getting stuck in a dream that I am dreaming, I know that I am dreaming it, I hate the content and I can’t get out. It’s weird and intellectually I know that it is very important for the mind to sort through all of the stuff that is in our subconscious, however when it gets uncomfortable I would like an off/on switch.

6. Trisha says:

The subconscious mind is a very strange place! It makes sense that you’d dream that you and Anthony are being kept apart. But the empty airport in the desert and the dream within a dream? I wouldn’t know where to begin interpreting that!

7. And dreams can seem so real!!

8. terry1954 says:

I feel bad for you. my heart goes out to you. It is evident that you feel helpless in fixing the situations that are now revolving around Ants. Sort of a feeling of being trapped? you love him so much and you hate seeing what is happening……..god bless you Julie as you go thru these trials

9. You’ve got a lot going on in your mind and emotions…and that’s where these dreams seem to multiply and not make any sense whatsoever but it takes a toll on your restful sleep I’m sure…Diane

Oh wow Julie … This was really an interesting one. I find dream analysis super interesting. Waiting to start session but will give this one some thought for sure… Sending hugs and love to u…. ❀

An understandable dream within your present life circumstances. They can be interpreted in a number of ways by a good psychologist or counsellor.

12. You must have been exhausted when you woke up that dream!

13. I hate it when I have really strange dreams like that………….

Dreams, the garden of the mind, soul, and spirit.

15. They say dreams are our subconcious trying to work out our awake issues! I hardly remember my dreams because you have to wake up during the dream to remember.

16. Katrina says:

Your dreams are saying that you feel Anthony’s illness is taking him away from you, in your heart he is still young and strong so the ‘old girlfriend’ is the illness that is taking your “young-strong” Anthony away. The escalator is your ‘issues with life” and your attempts to climb up to an easier life, the desert is your fear that your life is barren without Anthony, and the empty airport is the emptiness you feel with Anthony in the nursing lodge. And too the fact Ming is getting older could be playing with your subconscious. Hang there, you realize you need to be listening to your dreams, its your subconcious telling you what’s going on with you deep down. Also, the recent dreams where you’re the superhero, is your inner hero telling you that you can handle whatever happens and that ultimately you’re going to be okay.

17. dodsy says:

think Katrina has nailed it, the escalator also represents your goals and reaching your full potential,the positive aspect of the escalator is if we are persistent we can get there! When you were as the ‘hero’ you took them before, now understandably you have difficulty finding them let alone getting on the bloody thing! So get a dream book, you are receiving messages, and it will help πŸ™‚ luv and hugs xx

18. adinparadise says:

I have no knowledge of dream interpretation, but I imagine you must awake feeling really drained after dreaming of such strange happenings.

19. Your mind is working so hard making sense of everything, Julie. I wish you sweeter dreams.

Julie, Hell you have been my hero for months and months, I am glad the inner you is telling the outer you what a hero you are. Please take care, superstar. Bill

21. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

I’m always glad to wake up!

But you know, you can google ‘dream interpretation’ and get some answers. I’ve done it a lot before when dreams beg looking into. Just put in key words about your dream, & interpret.

22. Sometimes you never ever know whether dreams are a message or not……

23. Barb says:

For the longest time I used to have “lost” dreams where I was always looking for something. (My car, the right plane, a classroom, a store. ) It was so tiring when I awakened in the morning. Sometimes I was even aware I was in a dream when I was dreaming. Good luck. May you find whatever you’re looking for.