Gutsy9 learns how to be a peacock!

on February 11, 2013

pea 1784pea 1781pea 1780pea 1779pea 1452

Gutsy9 is now outside for his third afternoon in one of the yards. It is foxproof and I check on him every hour or so. The cage is where he will eventually sleep overnight. In one of the photos you can see how his right leg is deformed. It probably always was but he was so fluffy to begin with I didn’t notice and was mostly concerned about his injured toe (which, ironically, is now his strongest toe).

His transition to the outside for so many hours per day is akin to a child in his/her first week of preschool! In other words, I am suffering!

52 responses to “Gutsy9 learns how to be a peacock!

1. separation is hard isn’t it – you’re both Gutsy 🙂

2. you’ll get through. Were you like this when Ming went to school?

3. It is quite deformed but they do learn to cope incredibly well. You’re giving him the best chance. He really must be too heavy to sit on your shoulder now anyway!

4. I wonder if that was why poor little Gusy9 was rejected at the start. There is no place for sentimentality in the animal kingdom.

5. Rachel's writing blog says:

So what does he think?

This fantastic news … is can use his legs now and even if he has one leg that is a bit funny – he will okay – so glad over those photo to see the change in him.

7. TBM says:

I wish all of you well. hard for everyone

8. His little foot sure looks twisted. Love how you’re giving him a fighting chance!

9. shoreacres says:

I’ve a few pigeons who come around, and one of them has an injured foot. It’s amazing how well he copes with it. I have a feeling the kind of support you’re offering Gutsy will allow him to do the same.

10. bulldog says:

Glad he seems to be doing better than you are… let him sit on your shoulder every now and then…

11. What a ‘gutsy’ little guy. What a gutsy move!

You both rock!

12. To adapt a phrase my grandmother was fond of saying — Gutsy is as Gutsy does!

13. niasunset says:

I am glad to hear this, will be better soon. I do believe. Love, nia

14. It is always harder for the parent than for the little one. You should be proud of yourself that you found very clever ways to allow Gutsy-9 to find ways to become a peacock despite his handicap. You can tell that he loves you for it. He is so cute!

15. Trisha says:

It must be heartbreaking to hear him calling for you. But you’ll both be settled in the new routine in no time. Our crazy cat that we banished to the garage at night now goes out there on his own!

What an amazing story this has become Julie ~ I’m learning from Gutsy – and I always learn from you! ~ xo R

17. So glad he’s doing better! I know you miss him though

18. terry1954 says:

I have been asking you in my comments how the baby, Gutsy is, and am so relieved to know that he is doing wonderful. He is do darn cute!

19. diannegray says:

You named him well – he is very gutsy and I’m sure he’ll do just fine! 😉

20. He is growing so fast and I hope his leg doesn’t hold him back

21. Lynda says:

I never told you this, but I had a *cocatiel that only had one foot. I called it Peg Leg, well, up until he started laying EGGS! Then it was Peggy. Anyway, my point is that Peggy lived a very long life and did just wonderfully with only one foot. 🙂

* I forgot what you call them there in Australia, they’re the little ‘cockatoo’ birds, gray with yellow on the head crest and orange cheeks.

22. Tammy says:

so excited for him!

23. sbcallahan says:

i am so glad gutsy9 is getting some fresh air! i will live precariously through this little peachick:)

24. He’s really making progress. Go, Gutsy9!!

25. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

You have me thinking of the life of an animal I’ve never considered before. I mean, you think of dogs you see in the street, wonder is it happy, where’s its home; and cats, but peacocks I have not contemplated. I love reading & learning over here! 🙂

26. Susan says:

So happy you gave him the chance to experience this. What a beautiful little fellow. And love the connection between him winking at you being what saved him and your beautiful poem about Anthony’s wink.