Role reversal

on February 14, 2013

Tonight, when Ming and I were visiting Anthony and I was chopping his meal up, Ming said, sternly, “Mum, don’t you eat any of Dad’s food, or you won’t eat your dinner.”

You see, Ming had ordered takeaway pizza for tonight, and he had also ordered me to eat with him.

As Ming drove us home, I said, sulkily, “You’d make a great mum, Ming.”

“Don’t you touch that pizza until we get home, brat!” he said, flicking me a patronizing grin.

Arghhhhh!

29 responses to “Role reversal

He wanted your company from the start of the pizzas! But I don’t know about the “brat” thing.

2. Hearing your own words in a deeper timbre!

3. yes, but sometimes it is nice, he wants to share time with you – do you celebrate Valentine’s Day? If so, Happy Valentine’s Day, if not, know that I am celebrating friendship with you.

4. kdkh says:

I think it’s great that Anthony’s nursing home has good enough food that you would want to eat it. Many I’ve been to don’t serve food that delicious. And some days, I’d love to have someone looking out for me. Some days it seems hard to get everything done myself. It sounds like Ming really cares.

5. niasunset says:

Ming is a beautiful son… Seems that he wanted to share… But on the other hand I understand you too. But please, think of yourself and think of your son, you are both a great team and having a nice relationship… Love you, nia

6. That’s funny … I remember when my kids started doing things like that….they still do from time to time…Diane

7. Actually Ming reminds me of my baby boy, they are about the same age. Mine forbade me to do anymore shoveling the other day. It is cute at first but I could see it wearing thin. We still love them for it. Kids and husbands, I tell you. 😉

From the Water Babies by Charles Kingsley comes Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby and Mrs Bedonebyasyoudid. I caught an echo of them in your post. I hope you ate up all your pizza.

9. terry1954 says:

I would love to have someone take me out for a meal or cook for me just once

There’s an old saying, “The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.” How’s the thought of Ming caring for you in later years?

He is a great kid ~ this made me smile Julie ~ 💛

12. Thinking back on the love stories you have written, Ming seems to have a lot of Anthony’s wit and playfulness!

13. Isn’t is funny when our kids act like our parents…………….lol

14. Lynda says:

Love this! You make me smile!
    (Though perhaps you didn’t appreciate it all that much?) 😉

15. This touched my heart. Tommy and I would play like that… special. ❤

16. Ingrid says:

The chickens always come home to roost 🙂

17. SnapInTime says:

Haha! I love it. I hope the two of you had a lovely dinner. 🙂

18. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

This is such a gorgeous Mum/son moment, Julie – I love it! 🙂

19. TBM says:

Ah, I still remember the first time I said a Mom statement–scared the crap out of me. When did I grow up?

20. robincoyle says:

I think he learned by example. Right?

21. tersiaburger says:

What a beautiful memory moment!! Hope you enjoyed the pizza!

Julie, Your right of course Ming will be a great mom and a great dad, he has had great teachers, he was also right, leave the damn pizza alone until you get home. — Take care, Bill

LOL 🙂

24. janechese says:

he is certainly in a good mood. Take after anyone you know?