“Playing” dead (don’t worry – he’s fine!)

on February 25, 2013

pea 205pea 238pea 288pea 307

Gutsy9 (baby peacock for those who don’t know) likes playing dead and I keep getting a fright! Of course he is not really playing dead, he is just playing.

When Anthony was still living at home, he used to do this (not intentionally of course), and I would find him slumped in his chair, apparently asleep but looking as if he were dead. Sometimes I couldn’t wake him up but he would still be breathing. This happened at least once a day over the year preceding his admission to the nursing lodge. Since then, I have had to get the ambulance three times when this has happened on a home visit.

The cause? Advanced Parkinson’s disease. The cure? None.

44 responses to ““Playing” dead (don’t worry – he’s fine!)

1. kdkh says:

Glad to hear Gutsy is doing well and taking a load off!

2. batgurrl says:

Worry worry. Yes those we love give us
    a fright. David gets up every day at 6. When he sleeps in i worry. Playing dead?

3. Tammy says:

Gutsy9 looks like he’s poised to have a good dust bath!

4. I know how I feel when I go to see nan and she is dead to the world and it takes a bit to rouse her

5. bulldog says:

Gutsy9 keeping you on your toes…

Oh he is too much that Gutsy does this! Not good with Ants though — 😦 So hard….
    Hugs ~ R

7. Perhaps Gutsy9 can be persuaded out of this game? You’ve had enough nasty frights as it is.

8. Jo Woolf says:

Sounds like he has a ghoulish sense of humour. He’s still cute, though!

9. So glad you put in the parentheses!

10. TBM says:

Glad to hear all is well with Gutsy and how horrible about Anthony. That would give me a terrible fright!

Julie, you couldn’t teach a dog to play dead that well, and to think the Oscars where just last night. Gutsy could have gotten a nomination for best single performance. — Take care Bill

12. Is it normal for a bird to do that? Or is it because of his foot? It looks so strange!

13. I agree with everyone; Gutsy-9 cute, Anthony not so much, I know he doesn’t do it on purpose, but still not cute. I would definitely be freaking on the inside whenever it happened. You are remarkable Jules!!

He knows how get your attention. Foxes do the same thing .. they play dead to get out trouble. Happen to my granddad … I thought he had shot the fox and when he put it down home in the front yard – he just toke off. *smile
    So glad that you’re free from dealing with Ant’s problem at home anymore.

Glad you gave reassurance right away. Gutsy could fool me!

16. terry1954 says:

why is he playing dead?

17. Sad echo for you, Jules.

18. Kozo says:

Sounds like Gutsy and Ants are on the same plan to break your heart wide open. I just read a Rumi quote that said, “the wound is the place where the Light enters you.” Thank you for shining the light from this wound for all of us to share. You are one incredible person, Julie. {{{Hugs}}} Kozo

19. Trisha says:

That would give you a fright! I noticed in one of your other posts about Gutsy that he looked dead in the picture and it startled me for a minute. And with Anthony…that must be terrifying when that happens.

20. I just wanted to give you a big hug when I got to the end of this post. So consider this a proper hug {{{HUG}}}. Thinking of you xoxo