Changeling!

on February 26, 2013

pea 068

Yesterday afternoon I made a sudden decision to put Gutsy9 outside for the night, so Ming and I took him out to the chookpen, where he has been spending most of the afternoons lately, and put him in the big cage with food and water.

At dusk I snuck out to see how he was coping and sat at a distance, so he couldn’t see me. He was trotting back and forth in the cage and making his little howling sound, but he was also eating and drinking.

Eventually, when I could see that he would cope, I went into the pen, sat on the ground next to his cage and poked my finger through to stroke his head and he made a little trilling sound – happy. And even when I left him, he didn’t howl. But I came back into the house a bit teary.

Well, he was absolutely fine this morning! As soon as I let him out, he galloped after me into the house, straight to my office, flew up onto my lap and went straight to sleep while I did some writing.

He’s outside again tonight, but he isn’t howling – phew! He is becoming a peacock finally and the adult peas have almost stopped pecking him.

Don’t look back, my little changeling.

(Note: the pic. is nearly 4 months ago – G9 is a big boy now!)

47 responses to “Changeling!

A big boy?

I have rather amusing visions of him the size of the peacocks I photograph at the zoo and he’s jumping on your lap & covering you with long beautiful feathers. But I can also see his long feathers sticking out your office window as there’s not enough room for him to fan them out to air and preen.

2. What fabulous progress!

3. It’s like training a little child…. I’m glad he’s thriving !….Diane

4. It’s hard to see the little ones grow up; I would love to keep them little and sweet for as long as possible. I know that it isn’t good for them but they are so huggable that way. I’m a big mush.:)

5. bulldog says:

I love Gutsy9… he is going to be one that will follow you everywhere…

6. That’s good! He needs to have a peacock life too.

7. terry1954 says:

you are definitely his mommy

Julie, It’s so true our kids grow up, and move away from home, and excel in their own worlds. Gutsy clearly is a maturing young man making his own tracks. You will get to watch him grow and mature, and he will always run home to mom. Take care, Bill

9. He’s looking very teenagerish in that picture – sounds like he is growing fast!

Good peacock training.

11. Oh this is so sweet he is growing into a big boy but that first night must had been hard leaving him out there

12. Trisha says:

He’s a special one, that Gutsy 9. I’m so glad he’s doing well. It is pretty funny to picture him as a full size peacock sitting on your lap. When that happens you’ve got to have Ming take some pictures for us!

13. You are a beautiful mom, Julie. 9 and Ming are so blessed.

14. adinparadise says:

I’m imagining him fast asleep on your lap, Julie. How sweet is that? šŸ™‚ Glad Gutsy9 is doing so well.

15. Susan says:

Still loving this journey!

16. You can be so proud of yourself!

17. Well done! It’s a bit like the first day you leave your child at school – you are more upste/worried about it than they are!

18. TBM says:

I’m happy and sad. Good he’s growing up, but not sure I’m ready for that.

19. shoreacres says:

Oh, how I remember the days of training my kitty. I’d put her in the “kitty condo” as discipline (a sheepskin lined carrier – really quite luxurious) and she would howl and howl. It always made me remember my mother saying “This hurts me more than it hurts you…” But as soon as she would give up and stop howling, I’d let her out. Eventually, she learned.

And so is Gutsy! I just love these stories and pics. I do believe your boy is going to be just fine.

Oh, letting go is hard. Reminds me of the Disney movies I love–like The Fox and the Hound. Must be fun writing with a peacock in your lap. Love that image.

21. sbcallahan says:

looking forward to seeing updated pics of your boy!

Way to go Gutsy! šŸ™‚