There is no such thing as wireless!

on October 2, 2013

Such fun! The new modem suddenly stopped working today, and the old modem suddenly started working, except for when it needs little smokos, which is every few minutes. Hence, this a very quick post to say that my midnight visitor turned out to be a genuine neighbour’s son, looking for a genuinely lost dog but I’m still not sure why this had to be after midnight.

I received a reply from the Australian Journal of Dementia Care to say that they would be delighted for me to submit articles – yay! Coincidentally, they had featured something about my long-ago-published book about Alzheimer’s disease in their last issue – serendipity is so weird.

Anthony home all day today with sun shining. He actually chopped a bit of wood and walked around the farm without his walker, until he nearly collapsed from exhaustion. I was worried he might fall but then thought what the hell, he needs some autonomy back, so I just continued doing the washing/folding, feeding animals etc. but I found this difficult because I remember the falls before the nursing home (he doesn’t).

When it came time to take him back to the nursing lodge, there were a few mutual tears. I am feeling terribly sad writing this and internet is probably gonna die in a minute. If so, just know I’m doing my best to keep up with posts etc. but sometimes it all gets too hard.

Now I just have to go and plug in the wireless phone, new modem, Ipad etc. and all will be well – yeah right!

24 responses to “There is no such thing as wireless!

1. Wires, wireless, modems, routers I can’t keep them straight lol. I appreciate the work that they do, allowing me to read your wonderful words almost instantaneously from the moment that you hit the button publish but I couldn’t for the life of me fix any glitch. What a great day with Anthony and I would imagine that knowing that it was a neighbor’s son and there was a lost dog must give you piece of mind, I know that it does for me. 🙂

2. I am not surprised about the articles–you are an accomplished writer.
    Glad you had a day with Anthony home — I am always sad when a good time comes to an end–and this is more severe

3. Terry says:

kill the internet!!!! LOL, I am so proud of you for your article admission. Lastly, i would give my eye tooth to see Al walk for just a few steps. He is definitely a fighter!!!! I wish I could turn back the time for you three

Julie, I love your adventures on the farm. It has been so long since I had any real telecom issues I have almost froget what they were like. The Key is ALMOST LOL. I am so so glad that Ants had such a good day. I am sure inwardly he was in seventh heaven. Please take care and be safe, Bill ps — btw how many days has it been ?

5. bulldog says:

You are an inspiration to us all Julie… and I really mean that…

6. Isn’t technology wonderful… when it works that is … Diane

7. Aww Jules (HUGZ) I love that you understand his need for automy. You have a beautiful and wise heart.

8. ksbeth says:

sounds like a day of mostly positives – happy for you and congrats )

9. janeslog says:

A few years ago just before Christmas a new neighbour came to the door at 10.30pm to say he had knocked my grey cat Louis down. I sent my partner Alan out to sort it out while I took to my bed.

Alan came back to say there was no injured cat on the road. He then went out in the freezing cold with a torch as it was pitch black to look for the cat and appeared back with a healthy Louis after midnight.

Louis was okay – the neighbours thought they had hit him, but he is so fast on his feet he avoided their car.

When you lose a pet you spent time looking for it even if it is after midnight. Louis is still with us.

10. Great on the Journal’s reply. Glad Anthony came for a visit and good activity. Sorry for the tears. Hugs.

11. What a wonderful day for Anthony. I can’t imagine the sadness of him having to go back to the lodge. But it doesn’t take away from the joy of having him there.

12. I am glad for you that you had a whole day with Anthony home. These snatched moments of normality must be so precious to you.

Congratulations on the positive feedback from the journal.

13. janechese says:

Very good read for me today, am happy for you for the serendipity and for letting go and letting Anthony be. Not an easy choice but those moments of autonomy must have been so special, even if he doesn’t remember later..and the modem worked because I am reading your blog now. Amazing! Sending you hugs…

14. Vicki (from Victoria A Photography) says:

After all your computer problems, I will never complain about mine ever again, Julie. Gosh, you’ve had a bad run. I think a lot of mine in 2012 (& prior) was purely because I had an old desktop of my brothers and he had set it up for me. Most of my issues were resolved when I bought an Apple Mac Pro and set it all up myself. Now I understand a little more about computers and also have a 3 year care plan so I can ring up the Apple help desk immediately I have a query. Apple have been fantastic and so patient with me. I can’t praise them enough.

Delighted to hear Anthony managed to do a little work around the farm. It must be a real boost to his esteem and make him feel worthwhile again. Shame it caused exhaustion, but all in all, still a worthwhile episode in his otherwise sedentary life.

15. Oh how great that Ants was able to walk around and chop some would it would had made him feel so good. When we think about we feel when we have no internet, one wonders how we got by when there was no internet

16. It’s the small victories which make it all worth the effort. Well done!

17. Makes me wonder what people did before we had the option of Wi-Fi. Good luck with your connection. I hope it remains up and running!

18. Rhonda says:

~♥~
    thinking of you my friend

Well done for letting Anthony look after himself for a while. That takes nerve.

20. how wonderful that anthony was able to be in his element! hope that journal understands how fortunate they are to have the opportunity for someone of your caliber to submit articles to them. you floor me with your ability to function at such a high level in these circumstances. big warm hugs to you my friend:)

21. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

WHAT A FREAKING HEADACHE is internet problems, really a headache. It has these days become such a basic thing of everyday.

It’s magnificent you can submit articles 🙂

22. Lynda says:

Getting excited with you about your article submissions, Julie! xo

I got behind on everything. My daughter, John’s brother, & my grandson all came to stay with us for my birthday–we had four, good days together. Glad to read that Anthony got to come home for a day of it. You’re ahead of me on the Ipad. I’m just getting used to a laptop:)

You are getting an IT expert .. carry on like this. I still can’t get my head around an Ipad – good on you. Wonderful that Anthony has a chance to feel that he are still a part of the farm and that his visit makes a difference to it .. just magic. I can image how important that really is for him.
    I have a quote about my relationship with all the technical stuff those days – technical problems the story of my life. *smile