No sweat!

on January 20, 2015

In order for this post to make sense I need to remind people that last summer I developed a condition called ‘pompholyx’. It initially announced itself on the sides of each of my fingers in the form of tiny blisters that, due to their itchiness, I scratched, so for weeks, then months, I battled with blistered and/or scabbed hands (and, oh yeah, my left foot).

It nearly drove me mad and none of the various cortisone or anti-fungal creams worked very well. I researched my condition and found lots of gross photos and horror stories of frustration posted by other sufferers, all of which I showed my doctor. One common denominator, in terms of cause, was excessive perspiration: hyperhidrosis.

During the Australian summer, temperatures often reach/exceed 40 degrees C which means that for several months of the year people tend to look rather moist, including me. Then, last summer, my perspiration went into overdrive and my hands, head and face became rivers of volcanic overflow so much so that, if I shook my head the way a dog does everyone near me would be sweat-splattered. The worst thing, though, was my blistery hands; the little blisters would become huge blisters and, yeah, they leaked too. I felt as if I had been catapulted into some sort of science-fiction parallel universe where the sweaty people were excluded. In other words it is a very embarrassing condition.

When winter arrived (autumn is almost unnoticeable here) the relief was enormous for me. As the rain poured and poured, I stopped pouring and my hands nearly healed. But then (a couple of months ago) summer came back and so did the hyperhidrosis and pompholyx.

Interestingly, this second bout has seen a worsening of the HH but a diminishing of the PX. But I went to my doctor regarding both and he is going to research how we can stop this embarrassing, excessive perspiration. Good.

I then went to a podiatrist who looked at my left foot (the sores resemble burns) and she recommended an over-the-counter antiperspirant called ‘SweatStop’. Well, I couldn’t find that exact brand but I did find a few products containing the active ingredient aluminium chlorohydrate so I bought them.

Well, it WORKS! Once applied to the affected areas, it stops the sweat glands somehow. It’s a bit uncomfortable and has made my previously sweaty hair dry and brittle and my hands dry and scaly but it’s a hell of a lot better than dripping my way into every single day.

The most hilarious thing about this is that Anthony’s Parkinsonism has affected his internal thermostat so severely that he is ALWAYS freezing, even in the middle of summer! The first thing I do when I visit him is to turn the air conditioner off, put a jacket on him and then a rug on his knees, by which time I would ordinarily be oceanic with perspiration. Now I’m just a little bit drippy!

No sweat!

26 responses to “No sweat!

1. When someone says they’re a bit sweaty… I’ll tell them they don’t know the half of it…. Seriously, I’m so glad you found some relief… Diane

2. Anonymous says:

I wish you didn’t have to go through that again

3. Terry says:

I wish you didn’t have to go through that again

4. bulldog says:

In the Kalahari our weather is pretty much in the hot, very hot, category. .. I perspire like an open tap but would be wary to try and stop it…. I would rather have it drip as I loose weight at the same time… if I had your problem it would be a different matter, but I love the weight loss without effort effect… lol…

5. Judy says:

Thanks for the update about your condition – I was wondering about your hands (and foot). I’m not “dripping” with sarcasm to tell you that I love you title. It’s a PUN! (I know you know that LOL). I’m so sorry that you’ve had to suffer with this condition during such stressful times in your life. Glad you found so relief. πŸ™‚

6. Yvonne says:

Oh, is that stuff called No More Sweat? http://nomoresweat.net/

I could hug the fellow who markets it! Do you want to move to the Antarctic with me? πŸ™‚

7. janeslog says:

At least you have a solution. Hot weather can cause problems like that.

8. Vicki says:

I as SO pleased you’ve been able to find some sort of treatment, Julie. (even if it is a wee bit too drying). While perspiration is the body’s way of cooling down, I perspire freely on a warm day, let alone a hot humid summer day, so I can truly sympathise with your uncomfortable plight.

I can well imagine how embarrassing it must have been to have excessive perspiration dripping, let alone the distress and unsightly scabs and blisters.

Take care. Vicki x

9. Ha! I had a cardigan on here today in Tas. After a glorious day yesterday, summer went and disappeared. πŸ™‚
    I hope the PX does not come back as badly as last year.

10. ksbeth says:

funny how solutions drop right into our laps at times – glad you’re better.

11. I’m glad you found a bit of relief. And kudos to you for sacrificing a bit of comfort for Anthony’s well being. ❀

12. So glad you found something to help you, I cannot imagine dripping that severely. Seems our bodies internally and externally have seperate minds and neither are what our real mind wants. Oh and I can identify with Anthonys being cold problem, I am consistently cold until middle of night then I am like an old heater LOL. God Bless you Jules.

*http://about.me/lencarver *

13. It’s so great your doctor knew of this simple solution. Stay cool and comfortable. Hugs to you and Ants. ❀

14. susanpoozan says:

Glad you have found a sort of solution, maybe someone clever will develop something less aggressive one of these days, here’s hoping!

15. Glad you’re getting some relief Jules! Who knew that the Podiatrist would have the answer?<3
    Diana xo

Happy you’ve found something that works for you. It can’t be fun being a walking puddle. Hope your doctor finds something that works just as well and doesn’t leave you scaly:)

17. Thank goodness that you found something that helps! My cousin Francoise had the same issues with excessive perspiration but her’s was connected to menopause, now that she has passed that “milestone” it has gone away. I have read in several places that Botox is considered as a treatment, but I don’t know if you would be open to that because though it stops perspiration at the site injected, the perspiration will go elsewhere and you can’t quite predict where it will go. Hugs Jules! xox

I am glad that you have got a bit of relief even if not a perfect solution.

19. How good it is that you have found something that is working, my feet sweat a lot and when I wear sandals I have to wear some kind of stocking on my feet I wear knee highs a lot and in winter I can get by with ankle highs the only time I can go without is if I am wearing thong sandals. I have been told it’s not fashionable to wear the knee highs with sandals but if I don’t my feet sweat so much the shoes rub and I end up with blisters so really not worth it.

20. Maybe this has been brought on by stress. Do you think there might be a connection?

21. Lynda says:

So glad you are getting some relief, Julie!

22. I’m sure it has been quite a relief from your suffering. I hope you will fare better this summer.