A new adventure

on August 11, 2015

The other morning I entered a new realm; I went along to a local community gardening group get-together. Even though I knew some faces, there were only three people I actually knew (the ones who invited me). It was such a comfortable and lovely group and nobody that I spoke to seemed to mind that I didn’t have a clue about gardening.

I hesitated to admit to anyone that I have never actually liked gardening; instead I said that I was interested in learning (which is true!) And when one person told me that established roses were almost impossible to kill, I had to admit that that I only had a couple left.

IMG_4618

In fact, there are only two rose trees left on the driveway and, yes, I do feel a bit guilty about this. However, my decision to stop watering plants a couple of years ago, long after Anthony went into the nursing home, was based on economics. Every time a tap/hose is turned on, the bore is activated and the electricity bill soars.

Nevertheless, because of Anthony’s gardening prowess decades ago, we have the most beautiful garden!

IMG_4625

The challenge now will be for me to learn how to grow vegetables and it is so great to have a local group of people from whom I can derive tips!

My lack of gardening prowess is embarrassing and my close friends laughed without inhibition at the fact that I was joining the gardening group.

Watch this space!

PS. To blogger friends: I haven’t been very well lately so haven’t kept up with posts.

26 responses to “A new adventure

1. Vicki says:

Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell, Julie. Hopefully you’re feeling better now (or will be soon).

Gardeners have to be some of the loveliest people around, so green thumb or not, you’re sure to enjoy time with the local gardening group.

2. Anonymous says:

We loved having you here, Julie xx

3. aFrankAngle says:

At least you admit to your deficiency and are attacking the deficiency with a willingness to learn. πŸ™‚ … That a way …. Cheers to Anthony efforts as the botanicals serve as a wonderful tribute.Hope you are feeling better.

4. Colline says:

You are sure to learn a lot from these people – and you will enjoy the time outside.
    Sad to hear you are not doing well. Hope you feel better soon.

5. Sorry you haven’t been well Julie… hope you have a lot of enjoyment with you new project of gardening…. Diane

6. Amy says:

It sounds like a lot of fun. I love the photos – what an awesome place. Hope you are feeling better. I have been having trouble keeping up with posts too after being sick and traveling.

7. Terry says:

I used to garden, can and freeze, but now a days, with no one here but me, it is a lot of work. Preparing the ground, seeding, weeding, harvesting. I suppose if it is a mini garden, especially a bucket garden of a few plants, that could be fun, just to eat fresh from the plant

8. HOpe you’re feeling better soon Julie! and yes, your garden is lovely!

9. Judy says:

Oh, Julie, so sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling well. It sounds like you’re “cultivating” a great outlet; any kind of group with kind people sounds uplifting. It will “blossom” into something beautiful. In the meantime, take good care of yourself and I am sending a big hug.

10. ksbeth says:

enjoy your new adventure and may you soon bloom again, right along with your garden )

11. Lisa Rest says:

Hope you are feeling better and maybe growing veggies will lift your spirits. Sorry I haven’t been keeping up with you, but I will try. And I am interested to see how your growing exploits go (I have an ambivalent relationship with my garden: love being out in it but don’t do it enough to properly take care of it.)

12. susanpoozan says:

So sorry that you have been poorly of late and hope that things are getting better for you.

13. Sounds like a great idea Julie! fresh food tastes soooooo good! ❀
    Diana xo

Get well soon Julie. I look forward to your vegetable progress.

15. Gardening and me not a good mix, I have black thumbs, as in as soon as I touch a plant it dies, ok not really but it seems like that

16. My Heartsong says:

Wish you a speedy recovery. It sounds good that you joined the club.It will be an adventure-for all of us!What a gorgeous driveway you have.

17. Yvonne says:

That driveway with the soaring palms must lift your heart every time you drive down it!

18. I hope you feel better most importantly and gardeners are nurturers by nature so you will fit right in, gardening is tough when water is scarce but you will see with your group there is a world of plantlife who thrive in dry conditions. Huge hugs Jules xxoo πŸ˜€

19. Hope you’ll feel better soon, Julie.

20. i had a great laugh at this! i can pretty much kill even the hardiest of plants! you know how many times i have been told, by those who have a green thumb, that i “couldn’t” kill this if i tried only to proceed to kill it? well it has been too many to count:)

i am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well and have wondered what was going on with you. please take care and let us know how the gardening goes.

thinking of you, big warm hugs

21. Hope you feel better soon. I heard that the city of Seattle has a park where all the growing decorative things will also be edibles. I think that is great! I grew tomatoes, some herbs, a winter squash plant, some lettuce, and one potato plant this year. Considering it is the desert, and considering they were container gardening efforts, I am quite pleased. Though whether I got anything off them isn’t as important as just seeing and smelling something green in my xeriscape yard..

22. Tiny says:

First, I hope you will feel better soon. Second, I’m sure you will “get it” and grow the best vegetables πŸ™‚

23. Lynda says:

Julie, I am saddened to know you have been ill, but excited to hear that you are taking an interest in gardening. Just go slow and start small. (Yeah, like I ever listened to that advice…) xo