The email

on November 16, 2012

I received an email this morning that contained some harsh words and some kind words:

Get your act together.

You are doing fine.

Make a great meal.

Go for a walk.

Forget about your NanoWriMo failed attempt – get back to your half-written novella.

Make a list of things you need to do and put it on the frig.

Recharge your camera and start taking photos again!

Get the paper work sorted into categories and do NOT panic.

Try to conjure something to look forward to.

Stop being so hard on yourself.

Stop sulking.

Practise smiling in front of the mirror.

Keep going.

There was much more to this email but those were the main points. The sender’s voice was strong but loving because the sender was me.

Have you ever sent yourself an email?

56 responses to “The email

1. terry1954 says:

i have not sent myself an email such as you did, but i have written myself letters, then later read them and laugh, as I noticed i was being too hard on myself. after all taking care of ill people is not easy nor stress free. one day at a time, do what you can, because there is always going to be a brand new day tomorrow

Good advice from a wise person. You should listen to it:)

3. Sharon Van Bavel says:

Yes I have.. and this sender was very wise.. go girl… you are on the right track.. Have you ever done “cord cutting?” I do it all the time. When someone who I have a relationship with is causing me angst of any sort, I visualise us attached with a cord, a chain, a rope (sometimes its huge.. whatever comes…) then imagine cutting that cord, rope chain… use whatever you need, scissors, an axe, a chainsaw… and CUT THAT CORD… snip snip snip… It doesnt mean you dont love them..it just stops the drag.. it stop THEIR energy from affecting YOUR energy.. its simple and it works… lots of love xoxoxo

4. camsgranny says:

daily, unfortunately, I read and delete them…. πŸ™‚

Lordy mercy, girlfriend! I thought someone was really beating up on you! Whew…glad to know it was yourself…but then, not…but then… Hmmm…I’ve talked to myself like that but have never sent myself an email. I might have to try that sometime.
    I completely agree with Sharon. I actually had to “cut the cord” with my older daughter some years ago — terrible drag time. It did produce negative effects on our relationship, but now we are very strong again but in a good way. One thing about the entire dynamic – no one can ever change your relationship to each other and the love you have for one another. There will always be that love tie.

6. I recognized your handwriting halfway through.

7. I think that’s a great idea and you should do it more often because you’re giving yourself lots of good advice.

8. TBM says:

We are our toughest critics and it’s hard to listen to our own advice. But you should. that’s my advice.

9. I send them all the time… πŸ™‚

10. annotating60 says:

I would send myself one , but I’m afraid it would be so condescending and personally invasive that I would block myself–then who would I talk to about the strange emails that I get?>KB

11. no, but I think I will–and some of the stuff in your email to you will be stuff in my email to me–be kind to yourself, but have expectations–right?

12. The sender of the email is a wise lady. πŸ™‚

13. cobbies69 says:

I have tried several times but keep arguing with myself and so i never send it…heee! πŸ˜‰

14. Yes, I send myself emails; I text myself; I write myself reminders and notes in my journal; worse still, I TALK to myself. Trouble is, instead of listening and doing what I say; ……… I argue back with myself!

You are doing SO great. Remember that.

15. Louise G. says:

I like the sender and her voice — she has some great advice πŸ™‚ and I’ve never sent me and email — but I’ve sent me a lot of letters — even mailed them to myself — I love getting snail mail so it’s really exciting to open a letter from me filled with anticipation because… I wonder what I wrote…. πŸ™‚

16. Gardengirl says:

Great advice oh great and powerful Oz! I’ll have to try that. yes, I’m feeling silly…sometimes I get up way too early.

17. FacetsofLucy says:

Haha. I just cleaned up my 8000+ “send mail” file and couldn’t believe how many I’d sent TO MYSELF. Some were reminders, photos or links…and some were just common sense advice. You gave yourself great advice. I find the one hardest to do for us all is to “be kind” to ourselves. We’re our own harshest critics.

18. muddledmom says:

No emails but I used to journal all the time. It’s a good idea though. Sometimes we need to be reminded and sometimes we really do know what we need best.

Love your sense of humor Julie πŸ™‚

I’ve never sent myself an email, but after reading yours I might just Phish some wisdom from there and send it to myself. πŸ™‚

20. I have not sent myself an e-mail, but if I could, I would call myself on the phone and give that self a good talking to.

Yes, many times …. but only to test that the address works! This is so you – and funny.
    FacetsofLucy – thanks for reminding me about clearing the sent box out.

22. niasunset says:

The most difficult thing is to advice to ourselves… We can share and talk with others about their problems or points but when it is about us, all words are being forgotten. You are doing great dear Julie, you should listen to yourself and all these points are not only for you, it should be good for all of us too. Thanks and Love, nia

23. tersiaburger says:

Haha – I was formulating my reply to you when I read you are the sender…. I was going to say the person must love you very much and care deeply for you…. However, I must now say: Don’t be so hard on yourself!!!! Cut yourself some slack!

24. sbcallahan says:

absolutely, i know better than anyone else what i am avoiding and what will make me happy!

25. robincoyle says:

You gave yourself good advice. Advice we all need to hear.

26. I have written words of wisdom to me on paper; Brain does the needful. Brain makes sure I’m on track, without the hyperventilation.
    I have marked Sundays as Click A Picture Day: high five!
    Tell the sender to add music to the list. Some background music makes the dancing easier when no one’s watching!
    x

Fantastic Fantastic post Julie!!!!! I need to send myself one — xxoo Loved this – Love u!

28. I have often forward things from one email account to my main account but have never sent myself an email like this one you sent to yourself but sometimes it is what we need to do……….

29. Fergiemoto says:

No, I have not sent myself an email.
    In my many therapy sessions, my pain psychologist emphasizes how extremely important it is to “be kind to yourself” and “treat yourself with more compassion” and to not beat myself up. It was a new perspective for me, and I have found that he is right. But it takes constant attention and practice.

30. Yes, but just things like, ‘enter this comp.’

I like yours!

31. I have not ever sent myself one, but does leaving hand written self-affirmations count for something other than a bunch of notes scattered about the house?

This is a brilliant idea and the things you told yourself were even more so It is good to know Jules that you are trying to be kind to yourself for. I may have to lift a few from yours and hand write it for my wall. with full credit going to Miss Jules!

Wishing you some blissful moments my friend~