A haiku-ish poem

on January 4, 2013

These small fingernails
Whisper up and down the spine
Of an opened book

The howl of a wolfling
Until the huge smile

The grass seems greener
Just outside my sunglasses
And a glass of red

Peachick near my heart,
Son away for his birthday,
Husband not here now

There are a few hells
And ours is extremely small –
A rotten peanut

Why? is a mute word
Are my sunflowers growing yet?
I didn’t plant them

A string of haiku
All of the syllables perfect
Full of emptiness

Until the storm blows
A big hole in the window
And now I can breathe

We have wings of steel
Lost and found in the debris
Of a blossom rain.

46 responses to “A haiku-ish poem

1. Julie! I loved this!

Especially:
    I don’t do poems
    I can’t seem to write poems
    This is a poem

And:
    There are a few hells
    And ours is extremely small –
    A rotten peanut

You do poems. You do poems well πŸ˜‰

2. Excellent post. Very enjoyable. Writing and blogging is something that I enjoy very much.

Great blog you have here. I’ll be sure to let others know about it for sure.

Have a great day.

3. terry1954 says:

I think you did very well with this poem!!!! good going!

4. yellowlancer says:

What is a poem, Julie? I think it is whatever we want it to be…our thoughts, feelings, fun, anything as long as the writer enjoys writing it. Even better if it moves the readers in some way…yours is a winner πŸ™‚ My favourite part was –
    The grass seems greener
    Just outside my sunglasses
    And a glass of red

πŸ™‚

5. Better then I could do

6. annotating60 says:

Kudos. In the end it doesn’t have to be anything more than expressing yourself and in that find joy. From your tone you certainly seemed as though you did. I will let you take over my blog if you wish. Oh and thank you for the comment. I was going to toss this one and eve used a phrase in another poem but I looked at it and said what the hell–who’s reading them anyway. Not very many I can tell you that–but they look good on the monitor.>KB

7. niasunset says:

WOW! This is so beautiful, I loved it. Thank you dear Julie, love, nia

8. meg lane says:

You are such a poet that you leave me gasping! M
    other xx

9. I love the stream-of-consciousness effect.

This stanza was particularly good:

Until the storm blows
    A big hole in the window
    And now I can breathe

It says so much about your life in so few words.

10. beautifully done
    your poem speaks to me elo–
    quently with style

Julie, you surely have a poetry streak in you. Not a poetry reader or under-stander, but you truly know how to use the words. I like the last bit best … because you truly have wings of steel.

12. I like the free form of your poem. It conveys raw honesty and the emotional value of this poem is so very high. It seriously touched my heart as I read it and for someone who doesn’t do poetry, you hit this one out of the park. Your poem did everything that a beautifully written one should do. I think that you shouldn’t stop with this one. πŸ™‚

It’s lucky you can’t write poetry or you might make me cry.

14. Ingrid says:

i love your poems
    You always speak from the heart
    leaving Mum gasping

Julie, for a person that doesn’t “DO” poems you did damn good. As always, I so enjoy your posts. Please take care and have a great day. — Bill

16. janechese says:

it is like a series of haiku.The verses bring up some imagery for me esp in the last verse. Happy New year, Julie to you and Anthony and Ming.I have missed you for a while, my fault. got nothing then received 580 + all at once. Awwww! It is fixed now. Jane

Love the title and the poem. πŸ™‚ I was going to share my favorite stanzas, but in the end I love them all. Beautifull poem and well done.

18. cuhome says:

Oh, I really like this poem, Jules! Those unexpected events that turn our lives on a dime, completely out of our control, sometimes bring back our ability to breathe! Love this!

19. Lynda says:

I never understood Haiku as a child, but have come to appreciate the discipline of saying what you mean in so few words, and with so many restrictions. This is beautifully written, Julie.

20. eof737 says: