The beginning and end of our BMW

on February 13, 2013

IMG_0073[1]

It was 1993 and Anthony and I were engaged to be married in a couple of months. The 1991 325i BMW was for sale and Anthony wanted it so much. My PhD scholarship money had come through so I offered to chip in (my rich farmer had a cash flow problem). He said no, I said yes, he said NO, I said YES, then he said okay.

That was such an exciting day. We bought it and Anthony cherished it to the point of obsessiveness so that BMW spent a lot of its life with us being washed, polished, vacuumed and not driven!

A few years ago, Anthony’s Parkinson’s Disease had reached a point where it was too dangerous for him to drive, and a few weeks ago, we decided to sell the BMW to someone who was willing to double the price, and pay cash, because he wanted this particular model.

Bittersweet but necessary. It was like saying goodbye to a good friend.

23 responses to “The beginning and end of our BMW

1. ytaba36 says:

There would have been a lot of memories and emotions tied into that lovely car!

2. I’m glad you got a good price since the time had come… x

3. That’s sad Julie. It’s like another part of your life going.

4. bulldog says:

The selling of a car is as emotional as giving away a pet… hate it..but if I’d kept every car I’ve owned I would need a parking lot…

5. Why does life have to change?
    My father just did something similar – he gave his first car and second car, both mazdas, to a guy who would fix them up and look after them. My father was sad but knew it was time.

6. It brought great pleasure while Anthony could enjoy it. Saying goodbye for a good price must lessen the pain.

7. Zyriacus says:

Irrational as it may be, there is an emotional binding between people and their cars. I still keep in loving memory my first car, a VW beetle (with the pretzel-shaped rear window). Looked at it from my age, life seems to consist of a constant succession of “good byes” – But thinking deeper – there are as many “hellos” in it!

8. Cars, though they are just metal and rubber do find a way into our hearts don’t they — I have fond memories of every car that has been in my life from my dad’s 1950 black Ford to the Aurora we drive today.

9. That is one beautiful automobile. I’m glad that you found it a good home and a new owner who will care for it like Anthony did. You still have the memories and the photos to help you remember. 🙂

Cars are like old friends and despite the ‘friendship’ having run it’s course, its never easy to say goodbye.
    At least the price was a good one (which softens the break).

Julie, I understand and my heart goes out to you and Ants, And like so many before say which I agree, you have the photos and the memories. Take care. Bill

12. ahh the love story car…glad you got a good price!

13. TBM says:

Lots of memories. I’m sorry to hear you had to say goodbye, but I hope he has found a good home.

Sad parting Julie, but it has to console you knowing it is going to be cherished.

Wish it were coming here! He’d make a good partner to Joan Rivers (my old suburban). Then you could visit me and we could drive around. We’d be the pair – an Aussie and a Texan. 🙂

16. terry1954 says:

how sad, it was like saying good bye to an old friend

17. robincoyle says:

Double the price takes some of the sting out, doesn’t it?

18. Isn’t it amazing how we attach special memories to “things.” We have to let go of the things but hold on to those memories. Happy Valentine’s Day, Julie. That’s tomorrow here! Always amazes me.

A love affiar that has come to an end – always sad when it happens to us. *smile

20. Trisha says:

It’s a very cute car! And with so many memories attached…It must have been hard to see it go.

21. Isn’t it funny how a car can mean so much to a person not me cars come and go with me and Tim we have had 15 cars in 28yrs…………lol Tim has also had 3 motorbikes in that time

22. Rohan 7 Things says:

Aww, you’ll always have your memories and experiences with the car 🙂 And to think it now get’s to now continue bringing fun and joy to other lives!

What a cool car, thanks for sharing 🙂

Rohan.

23. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

I can understand it being like saying goodbye to an old friend. I can understand that completely. I feel the same for my good old Holden Torana…Move on, we all must.