Farmboy 3

on February 16, 2013

Don’t worry – this is not going to become a neverending series. It’s just that today’s incident was so funny.

An old friend of ours, who has a farm nearby, rang up the other day to see if Ming might be available for some odd jobs. Ming said yes so yesterday he had to drive a tractor (which he’s never done before but he learned fast) and today he was asked to come and help a cow who had just delivered a calf.

I think Ming might have anticipated patting the cow on the head or something but when he got back home after around two hours, he seemed a little shaken.

Apparently, the cow was unable to deliver the afterbirth, so Ming was told to reach inside and pull it out. So he did.

The cow is fine, the farmer is happy and Ming doesn’t want any lunch!

71 responses to “Farmboy 3

1. Poor Ming, indeed! Reminds me of the time my So was watching me deliver kittens, and turned a little pale around the edges when I cut an umbilical cord and cleaned up the placenta, etc. He said to me, “But you make me kill spiders for you!”

My response to him was I had never been bitten by an umbilical cord. Birth is a bloody, messy, and miraculous thing–and we get babies, kittens, and calves to enjoy after they are all cleaned up πŸ˜‰

Lucky Ming!

3. bulldog says:

Been there done that… and know how he feels…

4. Yay Ming! He’d be welcome at my farm anytime with skills like that. πŸ˜€ xx

5. Those births can be pretty traumatic! I watched goats give birth, and it is not uncommon for them to have twins. I’m pretty sure my father assisted in both births – those girls needed help and I think it forever put me off having children lol

6. Oh…tell him he was so brave….but that is some awakening for him …. and funny ! Diane

7. Have Ming read All Creatures Great and Small, he’ll get a kick out of it and appreciate a farmer’s life even more. Excellent novel. Ming has what is necessary to go far in life. πŸ™‚

8. OMG! I almost spit my coffee out reading this! He seems to have an adventurous spirit, doesn’t he? Oh and I wouldn’t mind at all if you had a Farmboy series, I am enjoying these stories!

9. poor Ming – tell him to become an accountant

It’s said that there’s a first time for everything. Good going, Ming! I put that in the “manly things” category, although one time I helped a vet do artificial insemination. That was interesting! Ask you neighbor about that.

11. Anonymous says:

Enjoying the stories…been there, done that on this one. At least your son has more of the adventurous spirit than my kids do (being transplanted to the farm). He can hold his head high…and save this story for entertaining the ‘city kids’

12. Haha! He’s getting an education.

13. terry1954 says:

that is a cute story and it was good for Ming to learn more about life and nature

14. Anonymous says:

Way too cute!

15. Way to cute. Ming has truly turned into the man of the house. Ooorrr man of the farm

16. Ha ha ha ha ha πŸ™‚
    Poor kid, I wouldn’t want lunch for a week!

17. What a great experience for him.

Wow …. a true cowboy .. now! Strong of him to do it .. maybe there will be no grandchildren because of this adventure *smile

19. Bloody funny……………………..I wouldn’t want to help a cow deliver anything not even milk………lol

This is too funny!!! Ming needs to read James Herriot’s book All Creatures Great and Small–misadventures of a country vet. Being a cow’s midwife didn’t sound fun.

21. Lynda says:

Hysterical! I was thinking the same thing as Judith… This sounded like it was right out of one of James Herriot’s books. πŸ˜‰

22. janechese says:

funny post -ah, Ming, you’ll get used to it.

23. As you say – it is nothing like being through straight into the deep end!

24. LOL! Did you ever read the James Herriot books? Those convinced me that I never want to be a farmer and I never want to be a vet. Poor Ming!

25. Oh gosh, I just read your comments. I guess I’m not the only one reminded of James Herriot!

26. sbcallahan says:

so glad i wasn’t drinking anything when i read this! otherwise it would have been coming out my nose from laughing so hard!!