Treasure hunting!

on March 28, 2015

Just behind the flowering tree is one of two sheds that is was full of rusty tools, abandoned bookcases, paperwork covered in fly-poop/rat-poop, the occasional photo, bits and pieces of a long time ago – well before my time here on this farm and probably remnants of before Anthony’s time here too.

IMG_4357

IMG_4445

The two falling-down sheds contained objects from a long-ago era; one also contained asbestos. Then there is the little house we call ‘Arthur’s hut’ because he was Anthony’s dairy hand for decades and was the last to live there.

IMG_4458

Today, Dina and her assistant donned protective masks and suits in order to clear all of the bits and pieces from the two sheds, and the hut, so that I could categorise them.

IMG_4442

The three of us worked almost nonstop for six hours and we did it! We cleared all three buildings and I am astounded because I thought it would take days! I am sitting here now, filthy and exhausted and sneezing from all the ancient dust, feeling absolutely euphoric.

We took three enormous ute-loads of rubbish to the dump, once I had decided what was trash. ‘The Ming’ was conveniently at work and, as he rarely reads my blog, he will not need to know about those three ute-loads because we have left enough of the keepable clutter outside for him to check out.

IMG_4461

IMG_4438

Now all I have to do is to sort through a few suitcases full of miscellaneous papers, books and photos (from well before I was born – Anthony first came here with his mother and younger brother when he was 23); sort the scrap metal from the collectible metal; and decide what to do with memorabilia that family members might want.

IMG_4451

IMG_4464

IMG_4448

The above photo is of the first shed we cleared. It was a very difficult job as the floor is collapsing as a result of rabbit warrens.

IMG_4447

History is a weird thing: it can hurt you, or heal you, or humour you. I plan to take a box-full of the more interesting relics into the nursing home to show Anthony next week.

IMG_4466

The garage sale has now been postponed until I do the remainder of sorting, but I am nearly ready to advertise it – hurray!

Many thanks again to Dina and to her wonderful assistant for the miracle of today!

40 responses to “Treasure hunting!

1. You;’ve done a great job! The difference that you are making to these spaces is amazing. πŸ™‚ What will you do with the sheds now?

2. janeslog says:

It’s good to have a clear out once in a while. At work we have a woman who is always clearing up so you have to watch she doesn’t throw out current things. A few weeks ago she was going to throw out a jacket I keep on the coat hanger for the times when I cycle into work and need a decent jacket (instead of a cycling one) to go for a walk at lunchtime.

3. well done. weve lived in this home for 38 years and really should dig out the clutter

4. Wow! what an amazing job — and how great to have someone to come in and help.

5. I had to look up rabbit warrens! Love those old buildings, hope you’ll share some of the treasures you found with us once you’re done sorting Julie. ❀
    Diana xo

ps. What are going to do about the asbestos situation?

6. That garage sale is going to bring a lot of your ‘found treasures’ new homes.. You sure had a lot of sorting to do… Diane

7. susanpoozan says:

A miracle indeed, well done all.

8. Terry says:

I am totally in love with the last photo!!! Good job on your cleaning

9. I am finding this process fascinating Julie. I hope the treasures you take in make Anthony happy and excited about the “new” old finds.

That Dina is worth her weight in gold.

11. Looks like a lot of hard work, but so worth it in the end, Dina sounds like an amazing woman

She is! We are now coming to the end of her job here which is making us both a bit sad ha! I told Dina that once it is all done we can have long relaxing lunches!

12. Trisha says:

It’s amazing you were able to get so much done in such a short time. Sounds like Dina works wonders!

13. Wow, I love all of the pictures and what Ming doesn’t know won’t hurt him πŸ˜‰ lol

14. My Heartsong says:

Fantastic job and well sorted! Good thing that I am not there to “check things out” because I would probably come away with some thingst but I am busy here cleaning out my apartment. Maybe you helped me get started, who knows. Good luck with the garage sale.

15. how amazing that you are able to go through all this as well as work and spend time with anthony. the ming surely knows what is going on but has decided to choose his battles as we all must learn.

i think of you and though i worry you are pushing yourself to such limits i trust that you are dong what you need for your own well being.

sending big warm hugs and love to you my friend

16. Rhonda says:

Wow! I wish I could be there for that Garage Sale…boy oh boy, I’d have some fun poking through that treasure…and yes, your trash would be my treasure! I can feel your euphoria from here…what a GREAT feeling!!! xoxo

17. bulldog says:

There looks like a lot of treasure in there… love the last photo, I would buy those…

18. Tiny says:

What a great achievement! And nice treasures too!

19. Wow, what a ton of stuff!

20. Looks like you discovered some very interesting things. I love the stove and ice box in the last photo. It’s a hell of a job, and can take so long as you have to read and sort things, try and figure out who the people in photos are. That’s to me one of the saddest things in going through old family photos; the ones without names or dates. You don’t know if the people are related to you, or were family friends. When I throw them away I feel like the people in the photo didn’t matter, and that makes me sad.